Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,773

Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities 

Post#1 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm

This came up in another thread, but it is certainly worthy of its own. This year’s playoffs look extremely competitive, especially in the West. It’s not possible for everyone to be happy - many good teams w high expectations will be going home after first round losses, or even play-in losses. That will lead to roster changes and hopefully opportunities for the Pistons to pick up some quality players.

Are there any teams you are looking at that fall in this category? Any players in particular that seem likely to be moved as a result? As much as I’m excited to watch some great basketball in the playoffs, I can’t help to get as excited to watching these opportunities develop.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,815

Re: Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities 

Post#2 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:10 pm

theBigLip wrote:This came up in another thread, but it is certainly worthy of its own. This year’s playoffs look extremely competitive, especially in the West. It’s not possible for everyone to be happy - many good teams w high expectations will be going home after first round losses, or even play-in losses. That will lead to roster changes and hopefully opportunities for the Pistons to pick up some quality players.

Are there any teams you are looking at that fall in this category? Any players in particular that seem likely to be moved as a result? As much as I’m excited to watch some great basketball in the playoffs, I can’t help to get as excited to watching these opportunities develop.
There are a bunch, but most of the inquiries should be centered around a PF. Minnesota is the obvious one, as they have three really good bigs.

I also wouldn't mind looking at other teams wares, but I think PF is so important, it's really difficult for me to look past it. Cavs/Bucks/Knicks all have bigs that have some interest, but most are C types, that can't really stretch the floor, or are older.(Portis)

I am rooting for Minnesota to get wrecked early, and fast, as that would signal changes for sure, as they have cap space issues. Them playing PHX is perfect, as they have huge issues with that team.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#3 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 pm

I want the pelicans to miss the playoffs and then go after BI.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 pm

I have mixed opinions on KAT. Even though he fills our PF hole, I hope we don’t take on monstrous contracts. $30M range is ok. $50M for multiple years is so risky - if it doesn’t work out, you’re stuck for years.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#5 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:19 pm

Minnesota is going to have a. Big tax bill and if the change of ownership took place reportedly A Rod was wanting to get under the luxury tax but with that now not happening it seems like Minny might keep their talent.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,895

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 pm

theBigLip wrote:I have mixed opinions on KAT. Even though he fills our PF hole, I hope we don’t take on monstrous contracts. $30M range is ok. $50M for multiple years is so risky - if it doesn’t work out, you’re stuck for years.

I would but he needs to play at the 5. His impact has been cut in half from Star to good player playing him at the 4.

21-22 at the C position- 24.1 PER, 64 TS%, 4.5 OBPM

23-24 at the PF position- 18.8 PER, 62 TS%, 1.6 OBPM

That BPM drop is pretty crazy cause its not easy to carry a OBPM in the 4s like he was but it instantly dropped since the Gobert trade
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,696

Post#7 » by Cowology » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:30 am

MotownMadness wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I have mixed opinions on KAT. Even though he fills our PF hole, I hope we don’t take on monstrous contracts. $30M range is ok. $50M for multiple years is so risky - if it doesn’t work out, you’re stuck for years.

I would but he needs to play at the 5. His impact has been cut in half from Star to good player playing him at the 4.

That BPM drop is pretty crazy cause its not easy to carry a OBPM in the 4s like he was but it instantly dropped since the Gobert trade
Yeah, he's a 5. And then you have to deal with the defensive issues.

KAT is a solid player, but this feels like a trap. We'd wind up trying to do the same thing, which is force him outa position in order to get a defensive stopper in the middle. Even as a 4 he'd be a significant upgrade, but that price tag is too high for the type of positional shenanigans involved.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,472

Post#8 » by Canadafan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10116641-trae-young-landing-spots-if-atlanta-hawks-trade-star-guard-this-offseason

Atlanta, is a team that has alot of options for trades that could interest us.
Even taking on Bogdanovic into our cap to save them luxury tax would be a good get for us. Would allow us to keep everyone's favorite player Ivey :P . Nice sniper for Cade
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#9 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:40 pm

Cowology wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

KAT is a solid player, but this feels like a trap. We'd wind up trying to do the same thing, which is force him outa position in order to get a defensive stopper in the middle. Even as a 4 he'd be a significant upgrade, but that price tag is too high for the type of positional shenanigans involved.

It would at least really help us on offense. Right now, Duren and Ausar together is just a rough fit with the spacing. KAT + Ausar works offensively and KAT is at least tall enough and OK enough to do better at being the rim protector than Duren. Ausar gives you a wing stopper and a lob threat for Cade and KAT spaces the floor or is a go to scorer working off Cade. Tec and Stew fit with that mix as well.

I'd assume we'd need to give up something like this year's first, Duren, Ivey + in order to have a shot at KAT, but if we could swing it, I think we would have a solid core to build from (KAT, Cade, Ausar, Tec, Stew, Sasser, Grimes)
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#10 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm

I'd be in for Towns for sure. Towns is on the supermax so 3 more seasons between age 28-30 locked in then has a PO for age 31 55mill per. Alot of money but were getting some good years out of him and hes always a productive player.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,354

Post#11 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Cowology wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I would but he needs to play at the 5. His impact has been cut in half from Star to good player playing him at the 4.

It would at least really help us on offense. Right now, Duren and Ausar together is just a rough fit with the spacing. KAT + Ausar works offensively and KAT is at least tall enough and OK enough to do better at being the rim protector than Duren. Ausar gives you a wing stopper and a lob threat for Cade and KAT spaces the floor or is a go to scorer working off Cade. Tec and Stew fit with that mix as well.

I'd assume we'd need to give up something like this year's first, Duren, Ivey + in order to have a shot at KAT, but if we could swing it, I think we would have a solid core to build from (KAT, Cade, Ausar, Tec, Stew, Sasser, Grimes)

Yup I like his fit alot with Ausar+Cade. You really only want max one non shooter on the floor normally thats a 5. With Towns we can get elite shooting out of our 5.

Agree on the Ivey+Duren+pick price as well. I'm easily doing it for this price.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,895

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:16 am

Any interest in Ingram?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,066

Post#13 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:25 am

MotownMadness wrote:Pelicans are out

Any interest in Ingram?

Pels still get to play the winner of the GSW/SAC game to get the 8th seed... BUT.... BI has to be unhappy about getting just 24 minutes in a huge game... where in fairness he was awful 4-12 and 3 TOs.

Part of me feels like he's not as good overall as Jerami Grant is at the moment when you factor in defense and 3 point shooting. Plus BI makes $36 million next year and then he's an unrestricted FA who could go anywhere and will want a massive 5 year $250+ million contract so you can't really give up too much for someone you could lose for nothing. If he just cost us Ivey or just the 2024 first sure take a flyer but I don't think it would be smart to give up both for him.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#14 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:29 am

BI has been my target for a few months now. He’s a better 3 level scorer than Grant.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,472

Post#15 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:47 am

Klay 0pts tonight. Warriors done. Now what do they do
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 477

Post#16 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm

I don't want Ingram. If a guy can't play defense, PASS.

Grant was very inefficient here, thinking he had to shoot 25 times a game, and shot a very low % from 3.. I wonder if he could come back knowing he's not "the man". His defense wasn't the same either, because he felt he had to score a lot.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:27 pm

Warriors done. Klay is not what he used to be, wouldn’t want him unless he came really cheap. Same w CP3. Kuminga or Podziemski would be nice adds but I’m sure those are guys they are keeping. How does Kuminga compare to the top of this year’s draft? Worth our FRP?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#18 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm

I don't hate Ingram but I wouldn't move mountains for him
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:53 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I don't hate Ingram but I wouldn't move mountains for him

Agreed. Pistons have leverage - they have the cap space that teams will need to get their cap in order. And for Ingram specifically, he doesn’t have a long term deal, so moving too many assets is risky.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,262

Post#20 » by GreekAlex » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:I don't hate Ingram but I wouldn't move mountains for him

Agreed. Pistons have leverage - they have the cap space that teams will need to get their cap in order. And for Ingram specifically, he doesn’t have a long term deal, so moving too many assets is risky.

Committing tons of money and max contracts to often injured non-max worthy players is a recipe for disaster.

Having $500m tied up in Ingram & Cade to average 55 games per year sounds horrible.

Return to Detroit Pistons