30%

Total votes: 27

roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Better 6th man... Maxiell or Posey? 

Post#1 » by roc » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:26 pm

This topic swiped from the Beantown board...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=745747

rsceltic34 wrote:both players play similar roles on either team, defensive stopper both love to take charges but who is the better overall player? posey plays more of an outside game and can hit the long ball while maxiell is more of a cleanup guy on the inside.. who would you rather have as a 6th man?

Maxiell eats babies so no contest in my book.

Thoughts?
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#2 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:28 pm

I'd rather have the guy that can play three positions (nearly) equally well than the undersized PF without ball-handling or a jumpshot.
Having said that, my first-born was just eaten.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by roc » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:31 pm

GJense4181 wrote:I'd rather have the guy that can play three positions (nearly) equally well than the undersized PF without ball-handling or a jumpshot.

Of course you would, think of all the possibilities for rotations you could come up with and post here. :wink: :D
jab
Starter
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#4 » by jab » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:40 pm

I would rather have Mad Max because his jumper is getting better every week.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#5 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:44 pm

^Think about it. I WILL post a few depth charts, for comparison purposes.
Posey at SG with the drafting of Tiago Splitter instead of Arron Afflalo and the re-signing of Chris Webber:
Billups/Stuckey
Hamilton/Posey/Murray
Prince/Hayes
McDyess/Johnson
Wallace/Webber/Brezec
Posey at SF, Jarvis Hayes isn't signed:
Billups/Stuckey
Hamilton/Afflalo/Murray
Prince/Posey
McDyess/Johnson/Hermann
Wallace/Brezec
Posey at PF, Mohammed likely stays:
Billups/Stuckey
Hamilton/Afflalo/Murray
Prince/Hayes
McDyess/Posey/Johnson
Wallace/Mohammed

If ANY of those teams are better than:
Billups/Stuckey
HamiltonAfflalo/Murray
Prince/Hayes
McDyess/Johnson
Wallace/Maxiell/Brezec
...then Posey>Maxiell.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by roc » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:47 pm

Which leads me to my next point boys and girls, do not smoke crack! ~ LT :lol:
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#7 » by BDM22 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:52 pm

This is no contest. Maxiell. He's a guy we can dump the ball into when we need scores, and he's our leading shotblocker. Posey needs his teammates to create shots for him.

Posey vs. Hayes is a closer comparison. Or Posey vs. Afflalo.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Low-Ki » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:02 am

I think Posey is the better player, but Maxey gives us exactly what we need from him off the bench and is the better fit for us.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#9 » by BDM22 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:17 am

GJense4181 wrote:I'd rather have the guy that can play three positions (nearly) equally well than the undersized PF without ball-handling or a jumpshot.
Having said that, my first-born was just eaten.

Without a jumpshot?? Which Maxiell have I been watching then? Max has probably the most consistent mid-range J on the team. He shoots 50% on Jumpers, and only 66% are assisted (ie, he is defended, and creates them for himself 33% of the time). For comparison, McDyess shoots 45.7% on jumpers and 96% of them are assisted.

Max should be a goto guy for us in the post when he's in there, but for some reason, the starters don't like giving up their shots to get higher percentage ones.
Kyrama
RealGM
And1: 649

Post#10 » by Kyrama » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:33 am

Let's ask the Bulls fans who they think is better.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#11 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:36 am

Max doesn't have Dice's range or handle... yet.

Say, when does Stuckey become our 6th man?
The Captain93
Junior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by The Captain93 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:48 am

BDM- Can I jack that Maxi sig from you and use it on another forum?
BDM22
RealGM

Post#13 » by BDM22 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:11 am

The Captain93 wrote:BDM- Can I jack that Maxi sig from you and use it on another forum?

That would be a question for Cowology. He's the master you created it!
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#14 » by nasty daddy » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:24 am

Hands down it is Maxiell. Like it has been said already on this thread, that Posey has 3 superstars he feeds feeds off. Maxiell is the type of guy who can come into a game and change things for the good, whether that be on defense or his huge monster dunks. Plus the fact i can't stand Boston is a huge factor in my voting.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#15 » by Dtown84 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:33 am

Maxiell puts up similar points and rebounds (actually more but not much more), while having the ability to create his own shot, and being more of an energy guy off then bench. It's close, but he's younger and improving as the season goes along, plus I'm heavily biased. :D
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#16 » by GJense4181 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:13 pm

BDM22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Without a jumpshot?? Which Maxiell have I been watching then? Max has probably the most consistent mid-range J on the team. He shoots 50% on Jumpers, and only 66% are assisted (ie, he is defended, and creates them for himself 33% of the time). For comparison, McDyess shoots 45.7% on jumpers and 96% of them are assisted.

Max should be a goto guy for us in the post when he's in there, but for some reason, the starters don't like giving up their shots to get higher percentage ones.

His mid-range jumpshot is more consistent than Rip's, too?
Where do you find these stats, for curiousity's sake?
His jumpshot has improved but I've always been under the impression that he shoots from near the baseline most often.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#17 » by BDM22 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:34 am

GJense4181 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His mid-range jumpshot is more consistent than Rip's, too?
Where do you find these stats, for curiousity's sake?
His jumpshot has improved but I've always been under the impression that he shoots from near the baseline most often.

10-15 feet is a mid-range jumper IMO, and that is where he makes his living (aside from destroying the rim). Those face-up dribbles to his spot on the baseline or near the FT line. Then that explosion and slight fade, which seems to give him separation on just about anyone.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708DET.HTM

It lists eFG% on jumpers. Problem is eFG% takes into account 3 pointers being worth more than 2's. Which means if you shoot 33% on 3's it's like shooting 50% on 2's (33% of 3 = 1, 50% of 2 = 1). So, it's hard to compare a guy who doesn't shoot threes with a guy who does. That's why I went with Dice, because neither of them take threes.

Rip is @ 50.5% on Jumpers, so it's safe to say that if you take out the 3's (which he has shot at a very high percentage this year), Max would have the better percentage on Jumpers.

Obviously there are many factors involved. Another reason you can't really compare him to Rip is because Rip takes more shots when he's well guarded. But Dice probably gets the most wide open shots on the team. Dice and Max get similar shots. Dice shoots a little deeper, but Max creates many more for himself in the post.

BTW, does anyone remember that deadly turnaround J McDyess had about 2-3 years ago? We used to be able to just dump it in to him and he would drain those turnarounds like they were nothing. I honestly can't remember if he has hit one at all this year. He must have a couple, but that has been a terribly low percentage shot lately.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#18 » by Liqourish » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:14 pm

BTW, does anyone remember that deadly turnaround J McDyess had about 2-3 years ago? We used to be able to just dump it in to him and he would drain those turnarounds like they were nothing. I honestly can't remember if he has hit one at all this year. He must have a couple, but that has been a terribly low percentage shot lately.

Honestly, I think with the great ball movement we've had this season and Dice finding his role earlier and more often... alot of times he finds himself so wide open that he's given time to face up and shoot rather than need to do the turn around fadaway jumper.

Also another factor is that he's a starter... he's on the floor with Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Sheed or Max most of the time... meaning he's not the first offensive option so he doesn't get the defensive pressure he got as the main guy off the bench. Now the opposing team has to gaurd all five guys and if someone doubles down, Dice gets open the majority of the time. It allows him to get space and face up. I'm not complaining though... he's shooting lights out and has really come alive. I didn't think he's flow into the starting lineup and playing more minutes as effortlessly as he has.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#19 » by Manocad » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:11 am

I'll answer this question with another question...

When was the last time someone said, "Man--that guy just KILLED us!" and was referring to James Posey?

[/thread]
:wink:
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#20 » by RTM » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:56 am

^Haha, great point!

To me, it depends on the team. For this team (as well as the majority of teams in the league) I feel Max is definitely the one to choose.

Return to Detroit Pistons