Rodney Stuckey

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Rodney Stuckey 

Post#1 » by magee » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:55 pm

Anyone else glad he was drafted by Detroit? I'm really happy for him because this is the perfect situation to be in as a rookie. What are some thoughts on his overall play so far in the season?
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Master Shake » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:54 pm

So far so good. He has moments of brilliance, and has some really sloppy moments where he's trying to do too much. But thats what to expect from a rookie. Honestly though by the end of this season, I have a feeling Stuckey will be in the top 5 or 6 rookies.

The only rooks who have left an impression on me are Durant, Yi, Horford, and Juan Carlos Navarro. Maybe Jeff Green. Stuckey is one of the most NBA ready guys in that class, and he's got so much quickness that once he gets his comfort level up, and reads some more scouting reports, he'll be a helluva player.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:58 pm

I hated the pick when it was made, but i now love it. He appears to be learning very quickly, which is important.

Hes gunna be a very good player, and the perfect compliment to Rip/Billups
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:05 am

While he's been playing well enough, I don't see the pre-draft hype comparisons AT ALL. Of course we were fed Wade and B-Diddy. I just don't think he's quick enough nor does he finish when he attacks the basket with flair.

Of course he seemingly doesn't want to be that type of player anymore, instead patterning himself after Deron Williams and CBill.

That being said, it's hard to come in and dominate the scoring when he's the low man on the totem pole. He's trying to fit in and just be another cog in the machine.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#5 » by GJense4181 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:01 am

^That's fine. I'd much rather have Deron Williams than Dwyane Wade.
Baron Davis I could certainly live with, though.

Stuckey's mid-range jumpshot has impressed me. I can't recall him shooting any three pointers, nor have I seen him dunk (which doesn't really matter).
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#6 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:30 am

Low-Ki wrote:That being said, it's hard to come in and dominate the scoring when he's the low man on the totem pole. He's trying to fit in and just be another cog in the machine.

That sums it up right there. His scoring and playmaking overall is effected by the fact that he's a rookie on a veteran team. If he's on the floor with Chauncey, Rip, or Tayshaun (1 of them is usually on the floor), he unfortunately has to defer most of the time. He IS a pure scorer. Once he is given a little more freedom, and he's comfortable in the system, that will become more obvious.

His style of play reminds me a bit of Chris Paul as a rookie (I'm NOT comparing them overall). Neither are what you'd call shooters, but they can shoot that mid-range shot pretty consistently. Both can get into the lane at will, and are aggressive to the rim. Plus both wreak havoc getting steals/deflections. Rodney's Assists per minute are not too far behind CP3's rookie year at the moment, and that should improve significantly as he gets more comfortable with his teammates and gets more freedom to create off the dribble from Flip.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#7 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:10 am

I liked the possibilty of getting Stuckey at the time before the draft. Then the we were lucky enough to select him in the draft, it isn't till now we are all seeing what he can do on the court after. He will be a huge factor in helping the Pistons now and down in the future.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#8 » by RTM » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:41 am

ajaX82 wrote:Hes gunna be a very good player, and the perfect compliment to Rip/Billups
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#9 » by GJense4181 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:44 am

I've been surprised to see Stuckey playing SG so often alongside Chauncey. I assumed he had been penciled in primarily as a PG.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:25 am

It seems to me that Stuckey doesn't really know the offense yet. I'm not sure he is best suited to be a PG. He seems like more of a 2 guard to me
Sub-Zero
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Sub-Zero » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:58 am

he still hasnt showed his explosiveness yet
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#12 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:46 am

Sub-Zero wrote:he still hasnt showed his explosiveness yet

He's not a high-flyer (if that's what you mean), but that's not the only definition of "explosive". He is explosive off the dribble, and he's explosive in the passing lanes. He has already shown this many times. Flip just needs to let him loose.

Stuckey on Dunking...
"They always say, 'Stuck, dunk that!' But I don't pay attention to that," Stuckey said. "Two points, is two points. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to help this team win."
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#13 » by humblebum » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:26 pm

In the game against the Celtics I was impressed by Stuckey's smooth stroke and solid defense. It seemed though, that he was still a bit uncomfortable playing, and running the show, with a bunch of proven veteran players. I'm not sure the guy seemed to be overly explosive, more of a Billups-esque, control the tempo, change speeds/directions type.

I could be wrong though, opinions?

I like his game overall but that high fade, whatever you wanna call it, haircut is ugly. He looks like he's stuck in the early 90's hip hop scene or something.

Peace from a Celtic fan.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#14 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:00 pm

What's going on is that Stuckey spent the Summer showing the Piston brass what he can do, and now he's come in after an injury and is trying to change his game and learn two positions at the same time. He's doing okay if you realize that the kid is really learning fast while being thrown into a weird situation. Give him some time and the game will come to him. He's trying to be the player Flip wants him to be instead of the stud player that he is naturally and the player Dumars drafted him for.
jab
Starter
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#15 » by jab » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:10 pm

humblebum wrote:In the game against the Celtics I was impressed by Stuckey's smooth stroke and solid defense. It seemed though, that he was still a bit uncomfortable playing, and running the show, with a bunch of proven veteran players. I'm not sure the guy seemed to be overly explosive, more of a Billups-esque, control the tempo, change speeds/directions type.

I could be wrong though, opinions?

I like his game overall but that high fade, whatever you wanna call it, haircut is ugly. He looks like he's stuck in the early 90's hip hop scene or something.

Peace from a Celtic fan.

Hello Celtic fan

His Haircut :crazy:

Hmmm, the first piece in Joe D's core wore a style from the 60's and early 70's. Many people did and still do think it is ugly but I want to go to another parade so I don't care if Stuckey shaves his head and paints it pink as long as he continues to ball like he has been doing.

His game is nothing like Chauncey's.
<3AmirJohnson<3
Junior
And1: 1

Post#16 » by <3AmirJohnson<3 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:17 pm

Despite getting rebounds that make me confused, he doesn't have an above the rim game (like Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Davis).

He has good body control with sick speed and strength.
He's trying to play like Billups and Deron Williams, even though he's more of an iso player (Wade and Davis). If he can be Chauncey with speed and ability to attack the basket (and make lay-ups) he's going to be All-NBA in his prime.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#17 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:08 pm

Somebody once posted that he had a huge vertical leap (some pre-draft measurement). Does he?

Don't be coming over here and dissing our players' haircuts. Your momma's stuck in the early 90's hip hop scene or something.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.

Return to Detroit Pistons