ImageImageImage

Opinions on Brezec and Hermann...

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Opinions on Brezec and Hermann... 

Post#1 » by the_l_train » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:02 am

I have touched on this a few times in some other posts, without much replies from others. I am just wondering what everyone thinks of Primoz and Walter.

MUST WATCH CLIP: http://www.need4sheed.com/videos/brezec_bench.html)

PRIMOZ BREZEC
He does hustle. He may look like a complete gump, and runs like he sh*t his pants, but atleast he is running and trying hard. If he actually did anything while on the court, i could see him being a fan favorite. I have yet to see him do anything productive, and it pains me to see him in the game outside of garbage time. I have heard that he can hit jumpshots (has he hit one yet?), and that is the reason Flip plays him before Amir.

WALTER HERMANN
From what I have seen so far, I am pretty let down. He may not know the playbook yet, or is just not comfortable out on the court with this team, but he seems a lot more stiff out there than I expected. He doesnt look fluid at all from what I have seen. I missed the baseline reverse lay-up he had, so all i have seen is him taking threes. Flip did praise him in the Dallas lost, saying that he played Dirk well.

Are these guys keepers? Should we trade them? Are they just not comfortable yet? Thoughts?
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#2 » by Hunter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:04 am

Scrubs. Trade bait or cap relief. Take your pick.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
OneBadMutha
Sixth Man
And1: 189

Post#3 » by OneBadMutha » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 am

They are fine for your 11th and 12th man off the bench...but neither should be playing over Amir.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 am

I don't like the fact that they get play over Amir at all.

I'd trade either one or both for 2nd rounders and nothing or expiring.

I don't see either one of them contributing to a playoff run.

Right now I think perhaps we're holding them as potential "fillers" for a deal, but if we can't find anything, then we'll perhaps move them as individuals at the deadline if anyone needs some depth.
Grey
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Grey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 am

I think Primo looks like someone from one of those bad '80s breakdancing movies.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#6 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 am

OneBadMutha wrote:They are fine for your 11th and 12th man off the bench...but neither should be playing over Amir.

Yea, that's the only thing. These guys were brought here to be good cheerleaders and to come off the books after this season. But the fact that they're both playing over Amir is insane. Leave it to Flipper to blow that one. Either Amir or Flip will be gone before the start of next season. That is for sure.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#7 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 am

I think out of the two Herrmann ad Primoz, Herrmann could be a valuable asset for us in the playoffs, i especially liked how he played defense on Dirk the other day by getting under his skin. Primoz does look like a big stiff out on the floor running, but i do like his attitude as a team player.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#8 » by princeofpalace » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Now more than ever Im convinced that Joe D had Nazr moved to free up time for Amir. Nazr>Brezec, and when Nazr used to check in for Detroit he gave Pistons something that they still desperately need: rebounding. Brezec cannot rebound, cannot run, and cannot provide this unit with anything except for his enthusiasm(which I love).

Hermann, I actually like. I think he's fast, he hustles and he annoys. Yeah he looks a little rusty at times, but hes only played 3 games with Detroit. I have no qualms with Hermann playing, but the thing is is that he should take some of Hayes minutes, when Hayes shot isnt there (and it hasnt be there for the past 3 games)

I wonder what Joe D is thinking seeing that both Brezec and now Hermann are playing before Amir.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Brezec actually impressed me in the first game he played. He was given the ball in the post and he passed out to teammates and made some incredible passes. Since then, he only touches the ball in garabge time and even then it's not likely he'll actually get the ball until the shot clock in running out. He does have a nice long range jumper, but again, he doesn't touch the ball unless he's deep in the post with defenders all over him and clock is running out. He is a hustle guy. He's not very talented, but he gives it his all every time and he is a team player.

However, I don't see ANY reason for him to play over Amir. Amir provides the shotblocking, rebounding and even inside presence and post scoring we've been lacking. We suck at points in the paint, a few Amir dunks and hook shots would definitely help in that regard. I know what Flip si thinking and I don't like it at all.

Herrmann is the better of the two and a player I think could actually contribute to this team. I know he missed a few threes and now a couple posters have made up their minds about him being trade bait, but he can do more than that. His defense is okay, he doesn't foul while defending... he really knows how to move his feet and stay in front of his man. His rebounding is weak, but his place in Flip's offence is in the corner ( :roll: Delfino, Evans, Hayes, Stuckey, Afflalo come to mind).

He missed alot of shots last night, but who besides Amir didn't?

Of the two, Walter is much more likely to remain a Piston. Maybe even seeing his FA offer matched by Dumars is Joe feels he likes Herrmann as the 5th or 6th forward in the rotation at a low enough price.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#10 » by triplet1984 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Hermann intrigues me, it might be worth keeping him around just for a possible finals against Dallas. Primo doesn't impress me in the least.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Brezec is a loveable spaz. He trys his damndest and desperately wants to be here, but he's awful. I guess he wouldn't be bad as a 3rd string center, but we already have Samb for that role.

Herrmann - I'm disappointed, I thought he was better than he is. Of course you can't tell much in garbage minutes, and when he's on the floor with the starters he's automatically the fifth option because he's the newbie.

Herrmann will probably end up in San Antonio next season and break out a little bit. Primoz will be a back-up center somewhere, but not for a contender.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#12 » by GJense4181 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:57 pm

I like Hermann and want to keep him.
I don't mind him playing ahead of Amir IF we are convinced that Amir is not a SF and are simply trying to decide between Hayes and Hermann for next season.
But, in that case, we'd leave Amir active ALL the time and deactivate Jarvis for a few games while Hermann gets acclimated.

Brezec has no future with this team. Then again, this team has no future C, either. Hmph.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#13 » by the_l_train » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:18 pm

I wish we would activate Samb, and put Brezec in street clothes, where he can cheer all he wants, without having to step on the court. Samb would provide us with more on the court, and there is a better chance that he will be one of our future big men then Primoz. Is it possible Primoz is only playing so we can showcase him to other teams? You would think that showcasing him would actually have a negative impact on his worth....

I also have a hard time seeing Flip Murray in street clothes. I know he is a just a tweener ball hog, but he is too good not to be dressed.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:04 pm

I love the cap space they gave us. But as everyone said, trade em as filler or sit em as the 11/12 men and wave bye bye at the end of the season.

When either get in during non-garbage time and play over Amir a part of me dies
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#15 » by chrbal » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Walter has some potential to be an energy guy for the Pistons. Brezec is horrid.
I'd rather see Samb out there.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#16 » by Phobo_Phile » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:59 pm

All I know is that Brezec must have the coldest hands in the universe. Everytime I look at him he is breathing hot onto them
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#17 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 pm

I think you have to give Brezec and Hermann a shot because they're both expirings. You only have half a season left to properly evalute their value, and you have even less time to figure out if they can be traded for something. Amir is locked in for three years, while there's a good chance neither Brezec or Hermann will be with the team next year. You may as well figure out what to do with them by playing them rather than having them sit at the end of the bench.

Of course, most of this board does have a hard-on for Amir, so even if there was a completely logical reason why Brezec was playing over him, they'd probably still disagree.

Also, God forbid, we need a center just in case Rasheed goes down. The idea of McDyess logging 30 minutes at the 5 position makes me sick. More than likely, we'd probably split the minutes between McDyess, Brezec, and Samb.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:I think you have to give Brezec and Hermann a shot because they're both expirings. You only have half a season left to properly evalute their value, and you have even less time to figure out if they can be traded for something
I don't need half a season, I can evaluate them both right now. And yes, I am that good.

And for somebody who puts as much faith in Joe & Flip as you do, don't you think they would have evaluated them BEFORE trading for them, hmm? Joe knows what he has.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#19 » by HeroicKennedy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 am

Hunter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't need half a season, I can evaluate them both right now. And yes, I am that good.

And for somebody who puts as much faith in Joe & Flip as you do, don't you think they would have evaluated them BEFORE trading for them, hmm? Joe knows what he has.

Oh sure, they definitely evaluted Hermann and Brezec before they came to the Pistons. But now they have to see what they can do AS Pistons.

It's the same as when you draft someone. You have scouts look at them, figure out a lot about their game, but you really won't know if they're worth it or not until they actually play for you.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#20 » by RTM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:54 am

A good source of cap relief. Both hustle. Good for them.

Basically, no long term interest from me.

Return to Detroit Pistons