RealGM
And1: 8,066

Hot 4 way action between Detroit/LAL/NJ/Portland 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Detroit trades:
Billups, Prince, Maxiell

Detroit receives:
Odom, Jefferson, #13, #33

Why for Detroit? They upgrade scoring at the SF position, they upgrade rebounding at the PF position... Add a late lotto pick and pave the way for Stuckey to start at PG next season.

C:Sheed/Dice
F:Odom/Amir
F:Jefferson/#29 or #33
G:RIP/AA
G:Stuckey/#13

Portland trades:
LaFrentz, Outlaw, #13, #33

Portland receives:
Billups

Why for Portland? They land a top 5 PG to pair with Roy to make the best starting backcourt in the NBA. This move pushes them into the top 5 in the West and makes them potential championship contenders.

LA Lakers trade:
Odom

LA Lakers receive:
Prince, Swift

Why for LA? This balances our their roster. I couldn't think of a more perfect SF to plug into this lineup than Prince, who is a great glue guy and completely unselfish. This will help them if they were to matchup with the Celtics in the finals again too, as Prince and Kobe should be able to defend Pierce/Allen better than anyone.

New Jersey trades:
Richard Jefferson, Stromile Swift

New Jersey receives:
LaFrentz, Outlaw, Maxiell

Why for New Jersey? They reportedly would like to dump Jefferson and Carter, and want to have max capspace for 2010. This gives them a huge expiring contract and two very solid young players. I don't think they could ask for much more if they want to move Jefferson.
ADM
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Hot 4 way action between Detroit/LAL/NJ/Portland 

Post#2 » by ADM » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Wow, not bad at all. Unfortunately, I think Detroit's the least likely to do it. I've NEVER been a fan of Odom, but I do like Jefferson, and getting the #13 in there sweetens it quite a bit. Then again, giving up 2 extremely good starters and a valuable bench player for one very good starter, one good starter, and a few picks isn't the best value.

But the rest of the teams would probably jump at that, assuming NJ is really after cap space like you claim.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,229

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Prince/Billups/Maxiell is way too much for Lamar (Mr. Freeze) Odom, and Jefferson.

I like RJ's game, but wouldn't give up much for him. #13 doesn't excite me much either. Thats about the "boom or bust" stage of the draft.

3 of our top 7, is little high for what we get back IMO
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#4 » by Rodya » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:34 am

Very creative trade, but I agree with ADM, the Pistons simply don't receive enough for Tay, Billups, and Maxxy. I like Jefferson, but the idea of trading a guy we think has no balls (Tay) for a guy we KNOW has no balls (Odom) doesn't intrigue me very much. Plus that 13 pick is overrated, we could probably get it just for Maxx and rights to Minny's second.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#5 » by nasty daddy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:09 am

I would consider it.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#6 » by bstein14 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 am

I think perhaps LA Lakers should give a little bit more for Prince, and the Blazers should give a little bit more for Billups.

The Blazers could add in #36 as well.

The Lakers could add in Trevor Ariza If he didn't opt out for them.

Perhaps getting back Jefferson, Odom, Ariza, #13, #33, and #36 would be enough for us to pull the trigger?

Reportedly Orlando wanted to move back from #22 to pick up either Seattle's two early seconds or Portland's two early seconds.

If we could have picks #13, #22, #29, and #59 that could work out great for the future.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:20 am

I think Detroit actually gets a pretty good deal. Grab someone like Westbrook or Augustin at 13 if they are there and thats a nice 3 guard backcourt
JR_MSU01
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by JR_MSU01 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 pm

bstein14 wrote:Detroit trades:
LA Lakers trade:
Odom

LA Lakers receive:
Prince, Swift

Why for LA? This balances our their roster. I couldn't think of a more perfect SF to plug into this lineup than Prince, who is a great glue guy and completely unselfish. This will help them if they were to matchup with the Celtics in the finals again too, as Prince and Kobe should be able to defend Pierce/Allen better than anyone.

The Lakers are getting a steal with this deal.. They put in way too little. Odom sucks in the playoffs. He's just terrible. And while Prince struggled while guarding Pierce and Lebron (who wouldn't?), he has been very good in most playoff series.

As for detroit, you are trading one borderline allstar (prince) for another borderline allstar (jefferson) which is close to even (probably the edge to RJ even though I can't stand that guy). And then, you are trading an allstar PG, not to mention a fairly productive bench forward, for freak'n Odom and a middle tier first rounder??? Not sure I am as down with that.

I must just really dislike Odom...
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#9 » by Shooter1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:53 pm

NJ gets raped and says Hell no. NJ could get Odom for Jefferson and a filler.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#10 » by bstein14 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Shooter1 wrote:NJ gets raped and says Hell no. NJ could get Odom for Jefferson and a filler.

NJ fans seemed ok with this on the general board.

They like the idea of Outlaw, Maxiell, and cap space.

One said he'd do it if they got a pick too.

Perhaps sending #29 to NJ.
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#11 » by JustinSane » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:47 pm

I wouldn't want to include any more coming from the Pistons in such a trade. It's well constructed and fair value wise, but I'd be very nervous about the team's construction after the trade. Jefferson, Odom and Stuckey all need the ball in their hands to be effective, so this is a team that really needs a skilled distributer. We'd have just traded our two best, Billups and Prince. If somehow it could be engineered where we got Blake back from Portland I'd feel much better about it. I'd be willing to include #29 then actually.

Return to Detroit Pistons