Post#1 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:42 am

Seriously.

I'd hate to see Dumars actually coach.
hoopsnurd
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Scary part: This was Dumars' guy 

Post#2 » by hoopsnurd » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:47 am

i wonder if cowens is taking his notes......
Choob
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#3 » by Choob » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:48 am

MC is the black Don Nelson without all the experience
Cowology wrote:wow, Choob just owned this thread. The rest of you can go back to picking out belly button lint, or whatever it is you do in your free time: Choob is Master of the Universe!
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#4 » by roc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:52 am

I think zeeb needs to remove Kwame's pic from his avatar and replace it with Curry's. Keep the 'MORON' label of course.

Amir = another DNP and we had a frickin 29 point lead. WTF?!
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
ilikepistonslol
Junior

Post#5 » by ilikepistonslol » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:29 am

r0cd0gg wrote:I think zeeb needs to remove Kwame's pic from his avatar and replace it with Curry's. Keep the 'MORON' label of course.

Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#6 » by Dirtgrain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:36 am

I think Dumars chose Curry because of the type of person Curry is--seemingly, a character guy, who showed great leadership on the court, and who can deal with NBA egos. In regard to that, many have expressed discontent, noting Hamilton's struggles and supposed mindset after the Billups trade. I'm not sure on that--I don't even know if Hamilton's struggles have anything to do with the trade. Have there been any locker room issues that Curry has obviously (not supposedly) screwed up on? That said, Curry has not been the cure for Detroit's motivational problems (nor was getting rid of Billups). The Sunday fart games look very bad on Curry's resume, as he knew about the problem and tried to address it, to no avail.

It might be that crap is brewing with some players. I can speculate about Iverson, Johnson, Hamilton, or whomever. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'm pretty sure Dumars didn't know enough about Curry's on-the-court coaching acumen, as Curry had little experience. Considering the Pistons' record last year, that was quite a gamble. Still, we have a decent record. Early on, on too many occasions, Curry is making bad substitution and line-up decisions. Is he learning from his mistakes? I'm starting to worry on this one. If he just keeps on sticking his paperclip in the electric outlet, then he doesn't have what it takes to make it as a coach.

He deserves more time to show that he can learn and adapt--and figure out what line-ups will work consistently (note: has a team every had PT chaos like the Pistons have early on, extended over a whole season--and made it to the playoffs? Someone mentioned Don Nelson, and, for now, that fits). Come on Curry. Learn.

I know the head coach is responsible and deserves the criticism, but do you think Curry's assistants are the right ones, collectively, to be backing him? Are they gung-ho on his substitutions and line-ups? If not, and if Curry isn't heeding their advice, then that would be Curry's downfall; however, if so, then Dumars probably f-ed up in working with Curry to pick assistant coaches.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,454

Post#7 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:10 am

Tonight was not his fault. The second line guys should be able to hold onto a 29 point lead. That is not asking much
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Master Shake » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:33 am

Or the fact that we have no rebounders I don't think is Curry's fault. Along with our 5 best players all being guards and wings, Iverson, Hamilton, Prince, Stuckey, and Afflalo.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#9 » by roc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:02 am

There is this one guy who can rebound but he keeps getting DNP CD.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
ambiglight
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by ambiglight » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:05 am

Master Shake wrote:Or the fact that we have no rebounders I don't think is Curry's fault. Along with our 5 best players all being guards and wings, Iverson, Hamilton, Prince, Stuckey, and Afflalo.

I ve been saying that they're overly dependent on their guards. There's a glut at the guard position. Afflalo and stuckey are the future. They need to start considering a trade for a big man. Had the suns not picked up richardson, i would suggest looking at Amare.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#11 » by nasty daddy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:28 am

This was not MC fault at all, guys simply couldn't hit easy shots after getting a 29 point lead. We went over 9 minutes at one stage throughout the game where we didn't even score.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#12 » by nasty daddy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:43 am

ilikepistonslol wrote:
r0cd0gg wrote:I think zeeb needs to remove Kwame's pic from his avatar and replace it with Curry's. Keep the 'MORON' label of course.

Only way Amir is looking at getting any playing time soon is if Sheed can hurry up and quickly get his 15th tech foul for the season, where consequently will have to serve a one game suspension.
Moe_B8
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Moe_B8 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:22 am

amir was playing well... he would be great with dice of the bench
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#14 » by Liqourish » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:27 am

The thing that bugs me about Curry is publicly making crap up about players to defend other players.

Called Kwame out publicly about being personally responsible for 16 pts of the 29 pts lead NY had from Duhons dribble penetration and it wasn't Iversons fault. Even though Kwame was on the bench. Why call out Kwame for something he had no part in? to defend Iverson?

Then last night during the game, when asked about Dice's return having an calming impact on players, Curry stated that it's helped Rip the most, especially getting his rhythm back the last two games. HUH? Rip has shot 50% or better in 6 straight games until last night when he went 6-13. Why call out Rip for being in a shooting slump, when he's not? to pimp Dice?

I won't even get into not playing Amir. Crash/Diaw/Okafor had 30 rebounds. The Pistons had 35 total.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#15 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 am

Master Shake wrote:Or the fact that we have no rebounders I don't think is Curry's fault. Along with our 5 best players all being guards and wings, Iverson, Hamilton, Prince, Stuckey, and Afflalo.

Afflalo is definitely not one of the five best players on the team. Dice and Sheed for sure rank ahead of him.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#16 » by Dirtgrain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Is it possible that Johnson is not working as hard as Hermann? Is it possible that Johnson is not playing good defense lately? Do some of you think Johnson, if given 30 minutes a game, would average 10 rebounds per game while not being a liability in other aspects of the game? It's as if some here can't fathom a viable reason not to play Johnson.

Brown is a better post player on offense and defense than Johnson, so I expect that he will get minutes before Johnson. I like Johnson's potential, but I don't want him playing without earning his minutes. Here's to hoping that he starts working harder.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#17 » by Master Shake » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Afflalo is definitely not one of the five best players on the team. Dice and Sheed for sure rank ahead of him.

I'll give you Dyess, but Sheed's been absolutely invisible the last 3 weeks of the season. I'm sick of him having so many games where he has ZERO contribution.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#18 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Master Shake wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I'll give you Dyess, but Sheed's been absolutely invisible the last 3 weeks of the season. I'm sick of him having so many games where he has ZERO contribution.

Pistons would not have won the Spurs game without Sheed. Also, he salvaged the Pacers game with a big 3 and 2 FTs and salvaged last night's game by hitting a big 3
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#19 » by Greyhound » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Why bother with such facts. You are getting in the way of his rant. Rasheed has not performed well of late but he played a large role down the stretch of the last three wins. The Spurs were threatening to run away until Rasheed saved that game by outplaying Duncan down the stretch. His 7 points in the last few minutes against Indiana saved what could easily have been a loss and his three at the end of the Charlotte game saved what would have been a monumental collapse. He is not single handedly carrying the Pistons by any stretch of the imagination but he is contributing to wins.

The Pistons could easily be on a 7 game losing streak right now.

Rasheed's production is down (though he still ranks as the most efficient shooter and highest plus/ minus guy in the starting five).

He is also defending the pick and roll a little better now (which is huge considering how ridiculous he was in pick and roll defense a few weeks ago).
Don't believe the hype...
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#20 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 am

Dirtgrain wrote:Brown is a better post player on offense and defense than Johnson, so I expect that he will get minutes before Johnson. I like Johnson's potential, but I don't want him playing without earning his minutes. Here's to hoping that he starts working harder.

Defense I'll give you. Offense? No ****ing way. Brown's offensive game is terrible. Johnson's is at the very least mediocre with the ability to get better.

I'll take Johnson's ability to rebound and provide hustle plays over Kwame's ability to be a big body.

Return to Detroit Pistons