Who is better for the Cubs?

Poll ended at Sat May 5, 2007 3:27 am

Total votes: 0

Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Who is better for the Cubs? 

Post#1 » by Posey H8er » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:27 am

I say Colangelo because I dislike Cuban a bit as an owner.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#2 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:28 am

I like Cuban because he is passionate about his players and he wants to win more than anyone.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#3 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:40 am

Damn. Is there a third option that is (C) either of these guys, but NO ONE ELSE?

I have a ton of respect for Jerry Colangelo and feel that he is probably the best choice. However a part of me loves Mark Cuban and would have a great time seeing what he would do with this team for the next couple of decades.

Either way we don't lose IMHO. So I'll hold off on voting... for now.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#4 » by Posey H8er » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:43 am

Jo Jo English wrote:Damn. Is there a third option that is (C) either of these guys, but NO ONE ELSE?

I have a ton of respect for Jerry Colangelo and feel that he is probably the best choice. However a part of me loves Mark Cuban and would have a great time seeing what he would do with these team for the next couple of decades.

Either way we don't lose IMHO. So I'll hold off on voting... for now.

I know, there should be an other. But if you had to choose...
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#5 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:57 am

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I know, there should be an other. But if you had to choose...

Hmmm. I am going to sleep on it. This may be the most important vote I cast all year.

Picture a thought bubble materializing above my head right now with a visual representation of my thought process...

You would see a rather thoughful looking chimp, wearing bifocals and a cap and gown, doing very complicated mathematical equations on a humongous blackboard. He is staring at hours of work and is angry because he can't quite put it all together and come up with a final solution. What does it all mean? He is scratching his head and biting his lower lip. Finally he grabs a banana off a nearby desk and throws it against the wall in frustration.

That is me trying to pick either Jerry Colangelo or Mark Cuban.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#6 » by Flames24Rulz » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:21 am

Both guys would be excellent owners for the Cubs. But I have to go with Cuban. He's extremely passionate about his team and he absolutely can't stand losing. He's my favorite owner in sports and he'd definitely become my favorite owner in baseball, pretty easily, if he took over the Cubs.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 6:10 am

Not that it will do anything but there is a petition online with 851 signatures currently to get Cuban to be our owner:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Cuban/
fuzion
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by fuzion » Thu Apr 5, 2007 9:17 am

I prefer Colangelo. He's an Illinois native. And he knows how to bring in a winning culture.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#9 » by GYBE » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:08 pm

I'd prefer Cuban. Not being an Illinois native Colangelo's connections to the state and the Bulls don't matter with me. And under Cuban, the team will always be exciting to follow and his passion can match ours. Plus, the Suns won't go over the luxury tax and the team has been hurt because of this (giving away draft picks last year for example). Cuban would never do that.

8)
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#10 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:11 pm

Colangelo's being very active already, I think he'd be a good fit. Illinois native, loves his Cubbies.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/baseball/v ... =5414#5414

I'd like Cuban in the position just as much though.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#11 » by 2poor » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:04 pm

Here is a list of the most likely candidates (ranked from least likely to most likely)

6. Bill Murray: The actor undoubtedly would put a new face on the franchise -- and what a face it would be. The Cubs last reached the World Series in 1945, five years before Murray was born in Wilmette. ''We've been losing since I was born,'' he told the New York Times while recalling the 1989 National League Championship Series. ''If one defeat was going to break me, it would've happened a long time ago.'' Murray's mug is always a welcome sight at Wrigley Field, but the Cubs need an owner, not a mascot.

5. Tom Begel: The founder of Chicago- based TMB Industries and longtime Cubs fan made his fortune by resurrecting flagging manufacturers, which might give fans hope that he could turn around a long-underachieving franchise. Begel already has put together an investment group, and he expects the bidding to be spirited.

4. George Will: The syndicated political columnist and baseball analyst often is mentioned as a possible successor to commissioner Bud Selig. The Champaign native delivered newspapers, set pins at a bowling alley, caddied, sold programs at University of Illinois football games and detasseled corn so he could afford to attend Cubs games.

3. Mark Cuban: Say what you want about Cuban, but no one wants to win more. Here's the rub: No one can doubt his emotional investment in the Dallas Mavericks. Does he have enough passion left to fuel the Cubs, as well?

2. Don Levin: The Wolves' owner and lifelong Chicagoan has won three championships since purchasing the franchise in 1994, which is three more than the Cubs have won since 1908. Levin told the Sun-Times last month he is interested in buying either the Cubs or Blackhawks. His fan-friendly approach would make him an ideal fit for the Friendly Confines.

1. Jerry Colangelo: The chairman of the Phoenix Suns and former owner of both the Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks grew up in the south suburbs (one strike against him). His relationships with baseball owners make him a viable candidate.

link

Return to Chicago Cubs