Image Image Image Image

Why is it illegal in Illinois 2 like both Cubs & White S

HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Why is it illegal in Illinois 2 like both Cubs & White S 

Post#1 » by HDMAVS760CA » Sun Jul 1, 2007 7:36 am

I've asked this question in the White Sox forum also. Is it because of the World Series nearly a century ago? What's the big deal? They play in different leagues. There should be no problem liking both. When I used 2 watch baseball in the past, I liked both Dodgers & Angels. No big deal there. There's no rivalry between them. I wondered this since the mid 90's cause when Ralph Lawler(Clippers announcer from Illinois) was asked what team he likes, he says Cubs & White Sox. He was told, YOU CAN'T LIKE BOTH! YOU GOTTA CHOOSE 1! But for some reason Donovan MC Nabb likes both Chicago teams & nobody says that to him. Its alright for him like both.

I see it like this. If the White Sox beats the Cardinals, Cubs fans should be happy. If the Cubs beat the Tigers, Twins or whoever White Sox fans consider their chief AL rival, the Sox fans should be happy. So anyone knows why this is considered illegal? Its illegal 2 like the Red Sox & the Tankees but ESPN loves both those teams anyway.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#2 » by Posey H8er » Sun Jul 1, 2007 3:00 pm

I am not entirely sure. I grew up liking the Cubs, not hating the White Sox. I could care less what they did.

I think interleague play may have a big part to do with it. With it, you have to choose which side of the boat you are on.
m4rcj3sus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by m4rcj3sus » Sun Jul 1, 2007 8:49 pm

because sox fans are white trash balls. no im kidding lol

thats just how it is man, no real explanation, i know many yank fans who hate the mets and vice versa.

i dont hate the sox, but i do hate there homer announcers who think that the team can do no wrong. sure santo is a homer but he doesnt make excuses all game for why the cubs are losing.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#4 » by SportsWorld » Sun Jul 1, 2007 10:54 pm

Once a Cub fan, always a Cub fan.
If you like both most likely you are a fair weather fan.
richard
Banned User

Post#5 » by richard » Mon Jul 2, 2007 3:52 am

support chicago by supporting all of its teams.

how can you hate a chicago team?
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#6 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 2, 2007 3:56 am

I don't know I have been a Cub fan my whole life. I don't really pay much attention to the White Sox unless we are playing them.
I guess we should like the Brewers too since they are 90 miles north of us.
richard
Banned User

Post#7 » by richard » Mon Jul 2, 2007 4:09 am

no, you shouldn't like the brewers cuz they are in another city.

if you don't hate the sox, and just don't pay attention to them, that's fine imo. but so many cubs fans hate the sox as much as they hate the cardinals, that's stupid. when they were winning the world series, they were rooting against them. first time a chicago team won the title in decades and people are hating? i don't agree with that.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 2, 2007 4:10 am

I only hate the Sox when we are playing them.
I really don't care about them otherwise.
HDMAVS760CA
Senior
And1: 22

Post#9 » by HDMAVS760CA » Mon Jul 9, 2007 1:47 am

SportsWorld wrote:Once a Cub fan, always a Cub fan.

Or you can consider them being pro chicago. There's even a few people who are pro new york in football & baseball. Liking both Giants/Jets and Yankees/Mets.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#10 » by GYBE » Mon Jul 9, 2007 4:40 am

Those people suck. Sorry, pick a team and stick with it. Otherwise you'll never know what it's truly like to be a fan.

8)
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#11 » by 2poor » Mon Jul 9, 2007 4:51 am

Aside from the deeper reasons, you have to consider that Chicago is a big city with even bigger suburbs.

The Sox are a south side team with fans that spread to the south suburbs. The Cubs are a north side team that spread to the north suburbs.

I could take it a step further but I needn't offend anyone. But many of you know what I'm talking about when you look at the drastic differences between the north suburbs of Chicago and the south suburbs of Chicago.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#12 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 9, 2007 4:54 am

Yep I know what you are talking about 2poor and I agree with GYBE, just pick a team and don't switch from team to team.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#13 » by Jo Jo English » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:32 am

I only dislike the Sox when we are actually playing them. Besides those very rare games I really don't follow the White Sox. I guess listening to talk radio in Chicago you can't help but accidentally follow them somewhat, but I don't really care how they do.

It seems like many more Sox fans care about the Cubs and celebrate when we are doing poorly. I don't really know why. I've always chalked it up to a sort of "little brother" syndrome type thing.

The only games I root against the Sox are the six games a year they play us. Other than that, hey... whatever. Win... lose... I don't care... just don't bump our games to Comcast Sportsnet Plus.
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#14 » by Posey H8er » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:35 am

Jo Jo English wrote:I only dislike the Sox when we are actually playing them. Besides those very rare games I really don't follow the White Sox. I guess listening to talk radio in Chicago you can't help but accidentally follow them somewhat, but I don't really care how they do.

It seems like many more Sox fans care about the Cubs and celebrate when we are doing poorly. I don't really know why. I've always chalked it up to a sort of "little brother" syndrome type thing.

The only games I root against the Sox are the six games a year they play us. Other than that, hey... whatever. Win... lose... I don't care... just don't bump our games to Comcast Sportsnet Plus.

I feel the same way as you. And, the Cubs should have all of there games on WGN while the Sox should stay on CSN.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#15 » by Jo Jo English » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 am

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I feel the same way as you. And, the Cubs should have all of there games on WGN while the Sox should stay on CSN.

AGREED! I honestly felt a bit sick a couple of years ago when I was watching a Cubs vs. White Sox game on WGN with Sox announcers.

It just isn't right.

The same way that I feel watching Cubs games on Comcast Sportsnet (SPORSTSCHANNEL) isn't right either.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#16 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:14 am

I don't like how you have to like one team and hate the other.

I'm a Cubs fan, and I personally treat the White Sox like any other team. I was happy for them that they won the World Series, except for the fact that I knew some fans would just rub it in my face.

I remember back in 03' I was really excited because the Cubs were in teh play-offs and this kid at my school said he hoped the Marlins would win just to make me mad...jerk...
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#17 » by Posey H8er » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:01 am

Welcome to the Cubs board Chi Dynasty12! I heard you had trouble logging into the forum for a long time, so here's an official welcome. :beer:
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#18 » by NLK » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:25 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Once a Cub fan, always a Cub fan.

I love the Cubs & Sox equally. I for one am not fair weathered one bit. IMO, one of the largest cities in the US with two teams should have at least one team in the playoffs each season. I dont get too gung ho with either one because I've seen disappointment from both sides before. So, I know what to expect. However I see the Cubs charging to take the Central, getting to the WS and winning (ok, I need to take my meds now). The Chi-Sox...Kenny's got some work to do. In a nutshell, I"m PRO-CHICAGO ANYTHING.
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
BestintheEast
Junior
And1: 66

Post#19 » by BestintheEast » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:40 pm

I am a huge Chicago fan. With that being said i will root for White Sox over Cubs only if Sox are playing Cubbies. I would love to see Cubbies take it all this year since my Sox suck!
<

....Brooks your a trout
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#20 » by Angry Jimmy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:23 pm

I went to New Commiskey Park a few years ago when I was in town visiting some family, and I found it to be quite funny how after the Sox had won the game, all the fans talked about leaving the stadium was how great it was that the Cubs had lost that night. (The Sox didn't play the Cub's that night)

The whole stadium reeked of white trash and trailer parks. I'd be fine if I never went back.

I've been to Wrigley quite a few times when I've been in town as well. It's a totally different atmosphere.

It's almost like two completely different cultures, I don't see how a person could actually bring themselves to be a fan of both teams.

I don't hate the Sox anymore than any other team in MLB, but it seems like Sox fans hate the Cubs more than they like their own team.

Return to Chicago Cubs