And1: 306

Post#21 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Aug 6, 2007 4:00 pm

Yeah he'll definitely be here soon
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#22 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 4:09 pm

Madskillz92 wrote:assumin Joba gets called up how does rivera,luis,joba fare against papelbon,eric,okajema? as the 7 8 9 guys

It still probably favors the Red Sox, but Okajima will come back to Earth soon.
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#23 » by Slamm Goodbody » Mon Aug 6, 2007 4:33 pm

Any confirmation yet on who takes the spot? I'm at work I can't really look around too hard.
Mardy Collins Superfan
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#24 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 4:52 pm

Slamm Goodbody wrote:Any confirmation yet on who takes the spot? I'm at work I can't really look around too hard.

Jim Brower for today, hopefully he's gone after tommorow and Britton/Ramirez/Joba get called up.
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer

Post#25 » by Slamm Goodbody » Mon Aug 6, 2007 5:05 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Jim Brower for today, hopefully he's gone after tommorow and Britton/Ramirez/Joba get called up.

Great, thanks. Is this guy Brower any good? This is the first I've heard of him.
Mardy Collins Superfan
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#26 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Aug 6, 2007 5:15 pm

Slamm Goodbody wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Great, thanks. Is this guy Brower any good? This is the first I've heard of him.

Career journeyman who absolutely sucks, and if he is here for more than a few days I will be very upset.
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by Slamm Goodbody » Mon Aug 6, 2007 6:21 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Career journeyman who absolutely sucks, and if he is here for more than a few days I will be very upset.

I trust your judgment, bring on Joba!
Mardy Collins Superfan
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#28 » by DakkaFromNyc » Mon Aug 6, 2007 7:53 pm

Hope we dont rush and bring em up at the right time
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by PR07 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 8:16 pm

This Brower guy is a scrub. Couldn't we have brought up Edwar or Joba?
gooGD
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#30 » by gooGD » Mon Aug 6, 2007 8:53 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I think Joba has the potential to be better than Okajima by the time he pitches a few times, but lets not forget that he hasn't thrown an MLB pitch yet, so right NOW the edge goes to Okajima, but that can change quickly. Few current relievers in all of baseball have Joba's arm, nobody throws that hard with that good of a slider (not even Billy Wagner because his slider isn't as filthy). So if Joba can handle the spotlight, he can be dominant immediately.

you realize that okajima is a top 5 reliever this year right now? his numbers are incredible.

mariano by default...
gagne by blowout
okajima by blowout

to even *compare* the two bullpens is a joke. BY far and away boston has the better- BEST bullpen in the league.

i dont care if joba his 97 on the guns and has a filthy slider. wake me up when he actually pitches against big leaguers and has extended success.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#31 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 9:57 pm

gooGD wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you realize that okajima is a top 5 reliever this year right now? his numbers are incredible.

mariano by default...
gagne by blowout
okajima by blowout

to even *compare* the two bullpens is a joke. BY far and away boston has the better- BEST bullpen in the league.

i dont care if joba his 97 on the guns and has a filthy slider. wake me up when he actually pitches against big leaguers and has extended success.

Wake me up when Okajima doesn't have fringy stuff. He does, and it's only a matter of time until the league catches up to him.

Your point is pointles - Joba has better stuff by far than Okajima. Of course, that doesn't mean that Joba will be better than Okajima, but it's a distinct possibility.

And to be honest - nobody asked for a Mets fans opinion.
gooGD
Rookie

Post#32 » by gooGD » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:32 pm

Wake me up when Okajima doesn't have fringy stuff. He does, and it's only a matter of time until the league catches up to him.

Your point is pointles - Joba has better stuff by far than Okajima. Of course, that doesn't mean that Joba will be better than Okajima, but it's a distinct possibility.

And to be honest - nobody asked for a Mets fans opinion.

hahahahhaah

you havent seen this guy pitch. go back to reading more scouting reports.

a 1 era with 40+innings pitched in the bigs > anything joba is doing in the minors

that is a fact.

edit: fringy stuff? league catching up? how fast did it take the league to shoot down edwar? joe smith? please... you dont have "fringy" stuff when your era is at 1.00 with 40+ innings pitched, especially against the "mighty batting, highly superior " AL teams.
gooGD
Rookie

Post#33 » by gooGD » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:36 pm

im not saying that joba doesnt have a higher ceiling or better potential

but to talk about joba as if he is already better than okajima? come on guys....
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#34 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:40 pm

gooGD wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hahahahhaah

you havent seen this guy pitch. go back to reading more scouting reports.

a 1 era with 40+innings pitched in the bigs > anything joba is doing in the minors

that is a fact.

the only fact is that you are ignorant and you have no idea what you are talking about. once again. i have seen joba pitch many times. i have seen him pitch twice in person at trenton and many times on milb.tv. i've seen him many more times than you've ever seen okajima. ditto for okajima also.

why don't you look at okajima's japanese league stats? they are nothing impressive and it's obvious to anybody with a half a brain that this year is a complete fluke. his stuff is nothing impressive, maybe you should watch him sometime instead of spouting your mouth like you know what the hell you are talking about when it is clear as day that you once again that you don't.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#35 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:42 pm

gooGD wrote:im not saying that joba doesnt have a higher ceiling or better potential

but to talk about joba as if he is already better than okajima? come on guys....

nobody has every said that joba is better than okajima. nobody. what we are saying is that he has the potential to.

if you want to look at somebody who put together 40+ innings that clearly was above their skill level, why don't you look at your very own joe smith. it's possible to put together 40 "hot" innings that do not show your true performance level. ask jorge sosa.
gooGD
Rookie

Post#36 » by gooGD » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:45 pm

i've seen him many more times than you've ever seen okajima. ditto for okajima also.

why don't you look at okajima's japanese league stats? they are nothing impressive and it's obvious to anybody with a half a brain that this year is a complete fluke. his stuff is nothing impressive, maybe you should watch him sometime instead of spouting your mouth like you know what the hell you are talking about when it is clear as day that you once again that you don't.

highly doubt it. ive spent the whole summer in boston.

so now you;re putting down the japanese league. dice k isnt doing so bad either.

you've been wrong in big threads, that is a fact. john maine. melky cabrera. maybe you should evaluate your own "scouting talent" since it is so mighty.

im not even going to argue with you, because its stupid. he has a 1 era with 40 innings pitched in boston and in the AL. dont argue with those numbers- its stupid.
gooGD
Rookie

Post#37 » by gooGD » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:47 pm

cmaff051 wrote: was above their skill level, why don't you look at your very own joe smith. it's possible to put together 40 "hot" innings that do not show your true performance level. ask jorge sosa.

gooGD wrote:edit: fringy stuff? league catching up? how fast did it take the league to shoot down edwar? joe smith? please... you dont have "fringy" stuff when your era is at 1.00 with 40+ innings pitched, especially against the "mighty batting, highly superior " AL teams.
MaRBuRy aNd JaMaL
Junior

Post#38 » by MaRBuRy aNd JaMaL » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:49 pm

wow, this is good news.

although myers was 3-0 he was garbage. I hated his sidearm
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#39 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:50 pm

so now we are judging edwar ramirez on 2 innings? good example, the league really catched up to him there.

do you think it had something to do with him not pitching for 2 weeks and his best pitching being the changeup, a feel pitch? of course not, the league just caught up to him.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#40 » by cmaff051 » Mon Aug 6, 2007 10:55 pm

gooGD wrote:
so now you;re putting down the japanese league. dice k isnt doing so bad either.

awful example. daisuke was an elite pitcher his entire career there. okajima wasn't. he had years where he struggled to keep his ERA below 4. the daisuke to okajima comparision is not valid, daisuke had a much better track record. not to mention his stuff is much better.

you've been wrong in big threads, that is a fact. john maine. melky cabrera. maybe you should evaluate your own "scouting talent" since it is so mighty.

perhaps i am wrong sometimes. i admit it. atleast i own up to my mistakes instead of you who thinks that everything you say is the bible.

im not even going to argue with you, because its stupid. he has a 1 era with 40 innings pitched in boston and in the AL. dont argue with those numbers- its stupid.

of course you can't argue with those numbers, they are terrific. but he has never shown that type of performance level, even in a japanese league that is far less advanced then the japanese leagues he pitched in for 10 years. it's perfectly valid to question whether he can keep this up. my bet is that he can't.

are you done yet?

Return to New York Yankees