Ask Jeff Risdon a question thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Ask Jeff Risdon a question thread 

Post#281 » by Icness » Tue Feb 5, 2013 1:19 am

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:So the Niners have 14 draft picks in this coming draft, which is pretty impressive for a team that just made the Super Bowl. Do you think they'll use them to move up or just get more depth?

They're going to need to use several. The only defensive front player under contract beyond next year is McDonald. Whitner is going to be a cap casualty and Brooks will need to rework his deal if he wants to stick. They've got to get at least one more functional WR and they're going to need a backup QB with Smith leaving. I could see them pooling their 2nd/3rds into a big move up for a guy like Star but it's too early to tell.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#282 » by Icness » Tue Feb 5, 2013 1:19 am

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:So the Niners have 14 draft picks in this coming draft, which is pretty impressive for a team that just made the Super Bowl. Do you think they'll use them to move up or just get more depth?

They're going to need to use several. The only defensive front player under contract beyond next year is McDonald. Whitner is going to be a cap casualty and Brooks will need to rework his deal if he wants to stick. They've got to get at least one more functional WR and they're going to need a backup QB with Smith leaving. I could see them pooling their 2nd/3rds into a big move up for a guy like Star but it's too early to tell.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#283 » by gswhoops » Tue Feb 5, 2013 5:26 pm

Icness wrote:

What teams do you think would consider moving down? You think maybe the Saints (since they got handicapped by Bountygate and have so, so many holes to fill on their defense/OL) would consider dropping from #15 to #31 for some second day picks?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,494

Post#284 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:15 pm

Speaking of functional WRs, what the hell happened to A.J. Jenkins? Even practice squad and out of work players were getting in the game ahead of him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#285 » by Icness » Wed Feb 6, 2013 3:05 pm

iLovePillWenney wrote:Speaking of functional WRs, what the hell happened to A.J. Jenkins? Even practice squad and out of work players were getting in the game ahead of him.

I know this from a Niners teammate: On his second day in camp he was asked by position coach to run an 80 sluggo. He had no idea what to do. That's an 8-yard slant-and-go with inside release to beat outside cover technique, BTW. I wouldn't expect most fans to know it but for a B1G receiver to get to the NFL and not know that is crazy. They did a press man drill that day and Jenkins literally never got more than 3 yards down the field, was completely locked up every time. He's as green as a receiver as a lot of incoming college freshman. Still.

I talked to his position coach from when he was at the Shrine Game and that coach told me he thought Jenkins was no better than the 5th best wideout on his team. At the Shrine Game, which is mostly later-round picks and priority free agents. The team he worked with in 2012 had a 6th round grade on Jenkins.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by gswhoops » Wed Feb 6, 2013 6:49 pm

Icness wrote:
iLovePillWenney wrote:Speaking of functional WRs, what the hell happened to A.J. Jenkins? Even practice squad and out of work players were getting in the game ahead of him.

I know this from a Niners teammate: On his second day in camp he was asked by position coach to run an 80 sluggo. He had no idea what to do. That's an 8-yard slant-and-go with inside release to beat outside cover technique, BTW. I wouldn't expect most fans to know it but for a B1G receiver to get to the NFL and not know that is crazy. They did a press man drill that day and Jenkins literally never got more than 3 yards down the field, was completely locked up every time. He's as green as a receiver as a lot of incoming college freshman. Still.

I talked to his position coach from when he was at the Shrine Game and that coach told me he thought Jenkins was no better than the 5th best wideout on his team. At the Shrine Game, which is mostly later-round picks and priority free agents. The team he worked with in 2012 had a 6th round grade on Jenkins.

So (in your opinion) is there any hope of turning him into something useful, or should the Niners just cut their losses and move on?

On a semi-related note, what's your take on Quinton Patton? He seems like a Niners kind of receiver (sure handed, good downfield blocker) from what I've read. Think the Niners would be able to get him with their late second or mid-third pick?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#287 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Feb 6, 2013 7:24 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Icness wrote:

What teams do you think would consider moving down? You think maybe the Saints (since they got handicapped by Bountygate and have so, so many holes to fill on their defense/OL) would consider dropping from #15 to #31 for some second day picks?

The Bears have quite a few needs - and only have 5 picks in this draft (no 3rd or 7th) - I have to believe they would be more than wiling to move down from #20 if they could get more picks in the 3rd/4th.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#288 » by Icness » Wed Feb 6, 2013 8:21 pm

So (in your opinion) is there any hope of turning him into something useful, or should the Niners just cut their losses and move on?

On a semi-related note, what's your take on Quinton Patton? He seems like a Niners kind of receiver (sure handed, good downfield blocker) from what I've read. Think the Niners would be able to get him with their late second or mid-third pick?

Way too early to give up on him, but limit expectations for the next year. If he can play 20 snaps a game and get 25 catches for 350 yards, that's worthy progress. Jenkins has the potential to do that.

Patton is a very NFL-ready receiver. Not a speedster but he's got great feet, great hands, good strength, and he knows all the little tricks and nuances already. Reminds me of TJ Houshmanzadeh in his prime. He will be gone by #50 overall. So if you're looking to package picks and move up, there's a target. I know the Lions will listen at 36 & the Cardinals want more picks too.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#289 » by gswhoops » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks. What are your thoughts on Datone Jones? Do you think he'd be a good fit as a 3-4 DE?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#290 » by Icness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 am

gswhoops wrote:Thanks. What are your thoughts on Datone Jones? Do you think he'd be a good fit as a 3-4 DE?

I think he can be very effective there in an attacking scheme. Like him better in a 4-3. Excellent power for his size, killer hand punch. Was very impressive in Mobile, got the best of Fisher more than most credit him for. Good guy, got to talk to him a bit and he didn't just give pre-planned answers.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by gswhoops » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I know you've said in the past that Philly wouldn't pass on Geno Smith if he fell to #4, do you think that's changed with Vick staying around?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#292 » by Icness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm

gswhoops wrote:I know you've said in the past that Philly wouldn't pass on Geno Smith if he fell to #4, do you think that's changed with Vick staying around?

Vick is essentially a bridge to getting the QB they want. one-year deal. He's 33 and misses ~6 games a year every year, and he turns the ball over at a higher rate per snap than any other player in the league. In other words, not a long term solution. I still believe 4 is the floor for Geno Smith, right or wrong.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#293 » by Manocad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Dear Jeff,

I am a Lions fan living in the NW suburbs of Detroit, and the talk on the local radio stations is that Eric Fisher from CMU has moved to the top of the Lions' draft board. Given that the Lions have so many needs it's hard to get overly excited about any player who doesn't come across as a can't-miss prospect, although I strongly believe in the build from the inside-out methodology. Is Fisher something to be excited about or is my heart in for another stomping by Lewand and Mayhew?

Sincerely yours,
Manocad

P.S. I admire your pictures very much.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#294 » by Icness » Fri Mar 1, 2013 3:09 am

Manocad wrote:Dear Jeff,

I am a Lions fan living in the NW suburbs of Detroit, and the talk on the local radio stations is that Eric Fisher from CMU has moved to the top of the Lions' draft board. Given that the Lions have so many needs it's hard to get overly excited about any player who doesn't come across as a can't-miss prospect, although I strongly believe in the build from the inside-out methodology. Is Fisher something to be excited about or is my heart in for another stomping by Lewand and Mayhew?

Sincerely yours,
Manocad

P.S. I admire your pictures very much.

I can confirm the Lions are very high on Eric Fisher. If he's still on the board it will not be an easy decision to pass on him. It would serve the side purpose of allowing Backus to move on, or at least be gone after 2013 and have Reiff play guard for a year to plug a hole. That could be a damn good OL.

Fisher is legitimately a top 5 pick. He killed it in the MAC and he played very well when he played the big boys. He was fantastic at the Senior Bowl. What I really liked was that when he got beat initially he knew how to recover and keep his QB clean.

Thanks man-o!
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#295 » by kdawg32086 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 5:08 pm

I didn't watch his workouts at the combine, but what happened to Star Lotulelei? Was his combine performance really that bad? For the last year, "draft guru's" have been hyping him as a top 5 pick and now I see that you have him being drafted in the 2nd round. What happened?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#296 » by Icness » Fri Mar 1, 2013 10:23 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:I didn't watch his workouts at the combine, but what happened to Star Lotulelei? Was his combine performance really that bad? For the last year, "draft guru's" have been hyping him as a top 5 pick and now I see that you have him being drafted in the 2nd round. What happened?

He failed to get clearance to work out because of a heart condition. He is currently working out for Utah's pro day while undergoing extensive testing to determine if the condition is stable, what might have caused it, if it can get better, etc.

I have never been as high on Star as most. First, I don't value a nose tackle or non-pass rushing DT so high; no D-lineman that can't threaten double digit sacks should ever be a top 10 pick, and he'll be lucky to ever get half that many. That's my opinion, not shared by many. If he gets cleared and works out acceptably I'll have him back in the top 15. Actually 14, to Carolina, which would consider trading up to get him. I will be very surprised if the Panthers don't go DT with their 1st.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#297 » by gswhoops » Mon Mar 4, 2013 6:32 pm

What's the latest on Margus Hunt? I keep seeing him mocked to the Niners at #31 but I wouldn't personally be comfortable picking him until the late second or so.

Am I way off base or would he be a big reach at the end of the 1st? (not that being a big reach would stop us from drafting him anyways...)
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#298 » by Icness » Mon Mar 4, 2013 9:09 pm

gswhoops wrote:What's the latest on Margus Hunt? I keep seeing him mocked to the Niners at #31 but I wouldn't personally be comfortable picking him until the late second or so.

Am I way off base or would he be a big reach at the end of the 1st? (not that being a big reach would stop us from drafting him anyways...)

He is a huge reach anywhere in the top 50. I think people forget that he's already 25. The point being, he's really not going to get much better than he is already, and right now he's awesome at blocking kicks and working out but not a real effective football player. I don't really ever see that changing. I'm monkeying with overall rankings right now and he's in the 90-105 range for me.

I think he goes sometime in the late 2nd, within 5 picks either way of #52 overall.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#299 » by gswhoops » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:59 pm

Icness wrote:
gswhoops wrote:What's the latest on Margus Hunt? I keep seeing him mocked to the Niners at #31 but I wouldn't personally be comfortable picking him until the late second or so.

He is a huge reach anywhere in the top 50. I think people forget that he's already 25. The point being, he's really not going to get much better than he is already, and right now he's awesome at blocking kicks and working out but not a real effective football player. I don't really ever see that changing. I'm monkeying with overall rankings right now and he's in the 90-105 range for me.

I think he goes sometime in the late 2nd, within 5 picks either way of #52 overall.

Thanks Ice.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#300 » by NY2TheBay » Wed Mar 6, 2013 3:30 am

hey.

Im a big niner fan and seems they have more holes to fill than people think. Goldson wasnt franchise tagged, RJF is getting interest from teams around the league and sopuaga looks like he wont return. Further, Delanie "brick hands" Walker may be out the door but I know they want to keep him for his versatility.

As you know they have a ton of picks and wont be a major player in free agency due to their cap issue. I really like Justin Hunter and Da'rick Rogers as potential WR targets as well as Patton due to his route running and good hands. Whats your take on the crop of WRs this year and whom do you like?

BTW, thanks for your insight on Jenkins. Very disappointing but I know he is working hard but looks to be a WR4 slot guy. Could you potentially see the Niners using 2 picks on WR within the first 3 rounds?

Return to NFL Draft