are you less interested in this year's draft than usual?

Moderator: studcrackers

how are you feeling coming into the NFL draft this year

less excited than usual
54%
about the same
31%
more excited
15%

Total votes: 13

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

are you less interested in this year's draft than usual? 

Post#1 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm

in the past I'd probably rate my excitement for the draft between 8 and 10 on the excitement rating on a 1 to 10 scale. I've literally been pissed some years that the draft takes so long after the end of the season, hitting up mock drafts 20 times a day.

This year w/ the all the lockout BS and an, imo, weaker than usual top 15, I'm hovering right around a 4 on the excitement scale
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: are you less interested in this year's draft than usual? 

Post#2 » by TSE » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Well definitely less for me because a big part of the excitement of the draft is trades, and now trades can't involve players currently on a roster, that takes a lot of fun and mystery out of the process.

While any of us can debate any particular trade and declare a winner or a loser, the teams that make those trades always believe those trades are in their best interest. So to take that option away really hurts every single team from their individual perspective of not having the possibility of ripping off another team in a trade that they think is very much in their favor.

Therefore, it's still in the players, owners, fans, and the league's best interest to agree to a mutually beneficial deal that is a win-win-win-win, anything else just takes profit in some form out of the overall pie and out of the game and into the pockets of attorneys and other non-NFL associated personnel or fans.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#3 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 am

I'm probably more excited for the draft this year just to have a break from all the labor dispute garbage.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

The NFL draft is my favorite event of the year. The only reason I'm less excited than in years past is because my team is picking #32. Still, it rates as the day(s) I look forward to more than any other.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#5 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:15 pm

I follow draft prospects and coverage all year so my excitement for the draft itself doesn't really start for me until its about two weeks away.
Do it for Chuck
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#6 » by wetsthebed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Equally excited. NFL is my favorite of the drafts, and this year is no different.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Post#7 » by RiotPunch » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm as excited as any year, really. I just freaking love the NFL Draft.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#8 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I dont get why people think this is a weak draft. It seems very good to me.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#9 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 am

Roger Murdock wrote:I dont get why people think this is a weak draft. It seems very good to me.

Lack of top QB and LT prospects. Safety is also pretty bad.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#10 » by cochiseuofm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 am

I'm less excited, but it isn't just this year. The draft used to be great, watch on Saturday during the day, during college and post-college, usually while nursing a hangover, hang out with friends, make something out of a usually boring Saturday. Now they air the first round Thursday, second and third Friday, and the other rounds Saturday?

I'll keep track of the draft, but I'm not devoting time to it anymore. This is what happens when you take something that isn't broken and try to fix it IMO.
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#11 » by Mike Hunt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm a tiny bit less excited than usual. Not because of the crop of players and not because of the lack of trade possibilities but rather because, I usually study the combine a ton and this year, I worked through most of it. I don't actually watch much college football (just don't have the access) so I like working off of the combine, magazines, websites and online clips of the players. This year, I'm probably not going to see enough to actually build a mock.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#12 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 am

It's a week before the draft (roughly) and I feel absolutely no hype whatsoever.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#13 » by TSE » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 am

Yeah there's not a lot of drama either, and pretty much every team in the top 10 has multiple options so it's not like anybody is going to get devastated, they pretty much are all fine with whatever top 10 talent they each get stuck with or which pair or trio they get to choose from. I think this is the least exciting draft in the last 20 years that i've been watching. I'm shocked that so many people have a different sentiment, but I also feel those same people would say that every year. It's like my mother no matter what restaurant we go out to eat, she always thinks the food was great and the price was amazing. But she has no concept of fair relativity. The very concept of good or great, more or less, has to have a logical relation to the other choices. And I haven't heard any good arguments why this draft should have people more interested. There's so many things that count against, even little things like some of the top players possibly not even attending. There's just a mountain of reasons that make it less for me. I don't understand some of these other opinions in here.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#14 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Its odd because my team (the Bears) finally has some picks in the first two rounds, but I'm less excited that normal. It may have to do with my excitement over the Bulls overshadowing them though.

Crunch time coming up this week and I'm starting to catch up so I know what to expect.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#15 » by hermes » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:18 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:I'm less excited, but it isn't just this year. The draft used to be great, watch on Saturday during the day, during college and post-college, usually while nursing a hangover, hang out with friends, make something out of a usually boring Saturday. Now they air the first round Thursday, second and third Friday, and the other rounds Saturday?

I'll keep track of the draft, but I'm not devoting time to it anymore. This is what happens when you take something that isn't broken and try to fix it IMO.

i don't like the time change either, it worked just fine on friday and saturday

and i am less excited, i was actually surprised that the draft is only four days away. i think the labor issues are a dark cloud hanging over everything NFL-related right now, so i can't get properly excited for it
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#16 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 pm

I am more excited than most years I think. The NFL issues are making this more exciting for me, because I love the draft so it gives me 3 days to really enjoy football before the uncertain future continues. I am also a browns fan and like our options more this year than last, although I am very worried we will take Quinn.
berryna
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by berryna » Mon Jan 9, 2012 5:26 am

I'm probably more excited for the draft this year just to have a break from all the labor dispute garbage.

Return to NFL Draft