2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#601 » by Icness » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:11 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Hey Jeff, what do you see the Eagles doing today? Big possession receiver and a corner? Safety help? Backup and possible groomed to be the future starting QB? Backup/change of pace RB? Offensive line help?

Big trade maybe, or even trading back?

First pick will be either Cousins or Osweiler I think. They spent a lot of time with this next tier of QBs. Russell WIlson is probably going late tonight too.
WR is in play but I think they'll wait there, very good depth.
Wouldn't count out another LB and OL help tonight.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#602 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:08 am

jeff i saw that you are from CLE

what part of the city are you from?

I used to work in lakewood a while ago
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#603 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 am

Pharmcat wrote:jeff i saw that you are from CLE

I grew up in Vermilion, just west of Lorain. Moved after 6th grade, then moved back for senior year of HS. Also lived in Aurora in the late 90s.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#604 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:28 am

Icness wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:jeff i saw that you are from CLE

I grew up in Vermilion, just west of Lorain. Moved after 6th grade, then moved back for senior year of HS. Also lived in Aurora in the late 90s.

I worked a bit also in Parma, unfortunately, a lot of that area has deteriorated lately :-?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#605 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm

I love Dennard in the 7th over Jenkins in the 2nd. Am I wrong here? How long is this kid going to be off the football field cause of the arrest? Got any insight Jeff?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#606 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:I love Dennard in the 7th over Jenkins in the 2nd. Am I wrong here? How long is this kid going to be off the football field cause of the arrest? Got any insight Jeff?

The last three exposures NFL teams had to Dennard:
1. Thrown out of bowl game for picking a fight with alshon jeffery after jeffery beat him deep.
2. Stumbling and holding his way thru senior bowl week, where he looked out of his league.
3. Got arrested for pot possession.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#607 » by reeDfense » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey Jeff just curious what your thoughts were on Christian Thompson i personally dont know much about him...and havent been able to find too much film of him...
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#608 » by Icness » Tue May 1, 2012 12:55 pm

reeDfense wrote:Hey Jeff just curious what your thoughts were on Christian Thompson i personally dont know much about him...and havent been able to find too much film of him...

Love the guy. Saw one full game and clips of another so the sampling is small but the guy has great size and knows how to use it. Pretty rangy, quick to react. He's been mentored by Ed Reed already so he knows his role, knows the system, etc. He was one of my 5 favorite sleepers in the entire draft.

The other 4 were Miles Burris, Bill Bentley, Demario Davis, and Ron Brooks
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#609 » by treiz » Tue May 1, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey jeff, would like your opinion on Josh Bush, Robert T. Griffin and Antonio Allen.

Not really sure about the first 2, but Antonio Allen stikes me as an instinctive safety with potential, he looks the part physically. But where is he as a safety?

Also, you said you really like Demarrio Davis. Can't find any good videos of him so can you give me a summary if possible.

Thanks again
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#610 » by Jaruff » Tue May 1, 2012 6:05 pm

I loved watching Allen at SC. He was better than Stephon Gilmore last year. Much better.

Really more of a hybrid S/LB though. I think that might have hurt his draft position a bit. However, he can cover his man. Jets got a huge steal imo.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#611 » by Icness » Wed May 2, 2012 9:27 pm

treiz wrote:Hey jeff, would like your opinion on Josh Bush, Robert T. Griffin and Antonio Allen.

Not really sure about the first 2, but Antonio Allen stikes me as an instinctive safety with potential, he looks the part physically. But where is he as a safety?

Also, you said you really like Demarrio Davis. Can't find any good videos of him so can you give me a summary if possible.

Thanks again

I liked Allen quite a bit more than his draft slot and everything that jaruff said about him is spot on. Allen was pretty solid in Senior Bowl week, though he does not have great lateral range.

RTG is a reserve guard IMO, nothing more. He's good within one step any direction but asking him to engage or maintain beyond that is a stretch. He has very powerful long arms, fits with ground-and-pound. Heavy feet and he tends to set his base too narrow.

I didn't see a lot of Josh Bush other than noticing him while watching Wilber and some other WF guys. Struck me as too athletically limited to do much. Real bright guy and he called the defensive plays out of formations. About all I really know.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#612 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Bumping this thread, hope you're willing to answer some questions I've got, if not I understand that you're busy:

1. I'm looking at some of Joeckel's games last year, because he's never in a 3pt stance this season, is his kick step a bit slow, or am I seeing things that arent' there? When I go back and watch and try and pinpoint what I'm seeing I can't really do it but there's something about his drop that bugs me. Is there something there or am I crazy?

2. Is Manti Te'o really a top 5 pick? I get that inside backers find their value on 3rd down and if nothing else the man can cover, but every time I watch him I come away underwhelmed. I question the speed and he just doesn't seem to consistently make plays behind the line like say AJ Hawk did when he was going top 10. (FML we took AJ Hawk rather than Halot Ngata.)

3. Chance Warmack is a manimal no question but is he a top 15 pick? Off the ball he's as good as anybody I've seen in the run game but he seems to lunge way too much for a guy that's supposed to be an all-time great both in pro and when blocking in space. He's not half as productive/consistent as Zeitler was coming out and to my eyes it seems like DeCastro was much smoother all around in his game than Chance is. Chance's drive skills are clearly a grade above but is that going to move him into the top 15? 4 guards have gone round 1 since 08 and none have broken the top 15 not even "ZOMG best guard Hutch" Decastro. If I were a GM I'd be damn tempted to pull the trigger but my head says all the pass rushers in this class will push him down the board a bit.
3b. Could he play Center with an offseason to get it right?

4. What is Barret Jones' ceiling? My feelings are that if I'm going interior in round 1 the guy better damn well have a chance of showing up in Honolulu in the next three seasons. Is Barret Jones capable of that or is he a guy that will be average to above average at the three interior spots and a guy the staff trusts completely and isn't going to lose you a game wherever you need him?

5. Interior Dlineman seem to get picked for pass rushing potential, does Jesse Williams have any or is he a run guy only?

6. Is Cooper really playing at 280 right now? What's the ideal weight for him in the pros and do you think he can achieve the anchor he's going to need and still keep the elite quickness?

7. Jarvis Jones is black flagged on the Packers board after seeing how we've treated Terrence Murphy and Nick Collins, right?

8. How can anybody take Fluker in the first 4 rounds? I get that guys with his size and disposition don't come along every day but the man can't pass protect. He's given up a ton of sacks and it would probably be more if he didn't get called for holding so much. What the hell are NFL athletes going to do to him?

9. Is this QB class awful or is it just that time of year? Every year just before the big bowls the amateur perception seems to be that this years QB class sucks and teams should wait until next year for whoever the big name is. In this instance Bridgewater. Is this just more of the same and this year's QB class is actually going to be fine, or for once did the general population stumble into something that's actually true?

10. Is it wrong that I want to roll the dice on Michael Dyer? Is there anybody I can replace "Teh Kuhn" with?

11. Is this another year where the WRs are all jammed up in one group and teams are just going to pick the best fit and good luck trying to figure out who's going where?

12a. Congratulations Jeff you're the new GM of the Packers, make a decision with Sherrod and the LT spot?
12b. You're back at your old job, and you have to tell your GM what Ted Thompson is going to do with Sherrod, Go

13. Other than Fluker (barf) anybody that the Pack have been spending a lot of time looking at?

14. Did the Badgers do Travis Fredrick a disservice by moving him away from Guard and putting him at Center where he struggled a bit or are scouts gonna value the guard tape higher than the more recent tape, because I'm assuming he's going to play Guard in the pros.

15. Know anything about Gary Anderson?

16. What does Sam Montgomery's inclusion on the "LSU doghouse list" mean for his stock? I've never seen him take anymore plays off than any other DLineman nor have I heard of anybody giving him a passion red, but when your S&C coach (who apparently is the God of all S&C coaches?) has pretty much described you as a lazy bum that's going to cause me some pause.

Think that's it for now. Any insight's appreciated
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#613 » by Icness » Tue Jan 1, 2013 7:05 pm

I''ll break these up a little....

1. I'm looking at some of Joeckel's games last year, because he's never in a 3pt stance this season, is his kick step a bit slow, or am I seeing things that arent' there? When I go back and watch and try and pinpoint what I'm seeing I can't really do it but there's something about his drop that bugs me. Is there something there or am I crazy?

Joeckel does not have explosive lateral range, it's the biggest knock on him. He counters it by being more of an attacker in pass protection right from the snap in the way Jake Long and Trent Williams do it. I'm open to the idea that Matthews is the better NFL tackle from TAMU.

2. Is Manti Te'o really a top 5 pick? I get that inside backers find their value on 3rd down and if nothing else the man can cover, but every time I watch him I come away underwhelmed. I question the speed and he just doesn't seem to consistently make plays behind the line like say AJ Hawk did when he was going top 10. (FML we took AJ Hawk rather than Halot Ngata.)

Te'o is a better, more physical prospect than Hawk was. I do not think Te'o is a top 10 pick based on value. What made Luke Kuechly worthy that high was his unquestioned sideline to sideline range, was just as good outside the hashes as filling the A gap. Te'o is an absolute thumper in A & B gaps, not as effective outside. He's more like Demeco Ryans or esp. Curtis Lofton, a 110+ tackle guy but few forced turnovers or tackles at/behind the line. I wouldn't take him top 20, but he's going in the top 20. Doubt he goes top 10.

3. Chance Warmack is a manimal no question but is he a top 15 pick? Off the ball he's as good as anybody I've seen in the run game but he seems to lunge way too much for a guy that's supposed to be an all-time great both in pro and when blocking in space. He's not half as productive/consistent as Zeitler was coming out and to my eyes it seems like DeCastro was much smoother all around in his game than Chance is. Chance's drive skills are clearly a grade above but is that going to move him into the top 15? 4 guards have gone round 1 since 08 and none have broken the top 15 not even "ZOMG best guard Hutch" Decastro. If I were a GM I'd be damn tempted to pull the trigger but my head says all the pass rushers in this class will push him down the board a bit.
3b. Could he play Center with an offseason to get it right?

One important thing to remember with all OL is that the ZBS as run now will no longer be legal with the impending elimination of cut blocks and increased emphasis on stopping chop blocks. So guys with Warmack's straight-ahead mauling (Iupati too) will be even more in demand. Having said that, there's also a move to incorporate more spreads and wider splits up front, and that takes away from Warmack because he does lunge a lot as you pointed out. In between the tackle boxes he's easily the best guard in years, and he can get downfield pretty well on screens. My grade on him is 7.9, which is above-average starter as a rookie. Of the 15 or so players I've finished, that's the only one over 7.5, which is surefire Day One starter and potential Pro Bowler. FWIW I had Decastro at 7.7 last year, Zeitler was 7.4.

I wouldn't take him top 10, but if I'm San Diego at 12 or Carolina at 14 I wouldn't hesitate one second to take him. I do not think he's a center but could probably play there in a pinch. Centers are normally bright and perceptive, that's not Chance Warmack. More of a blunt instrument of destruction.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#614 » by CJ_18 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:05 am

Jeff if they changed the age rules, would Jadeveon Clowney go #1 in this years draft seeing as theres no current clear cut #1? is he that good?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#615 » by Icness » Wed Jan 2, 2013 3:50 pm

CJ_18 wrote:Jeff if they changed the age rules, would Jadeveon Clowney go #1 in this years draft seeing as theres no current clear cut #1? is he that good?

100% yes, and teams would offer RG3-like packages to go get him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#616 » by Icness » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:07 pm

4. What is Barret Jones' ceiling? My feelings are that if I'm going interior in round 1 the guy better damn well have a chance of showing up in Honolulu in the next three seasons. Is Barret Jones capable of that or is he a guy that will be average to above average at the three interior spots and a guy the staff trusts completely and isn't going to lose you a game wherever you need him?

Much more the latter than the former. He's the best center this year but it's a terrible year for centers. He's likely the only C that goes in the first 5 rounds and he's better at guard. I like Mario Benavides from Louisville as a 3rd rounder but I'm in the minority.

5. Interior Dlineman seem to get picked for pass rushing potential, does Jesse Williams have any or is he a run guy only?

Williams reminds me a lot of former Saint Jim Wilks, who is probably too old of a reference for anyone here to know. He played nose tackle vs. the run and end in nickel situations for the Mora Saints of the late 80s-early 90s in their 3-4 with the best linebacking corps in NFL history behind him. I think Williams can play very well as an anchor DT/NT but can move around some. He's not a pass rusher but will effort his way to 3-5 sacks a year. He's a real easy fit for the Patriots at the end of the 1st.

6. Is Cooper really playing at 280 right now? What's the ideal weight for him in the pros and do you think he can achieve the anchor he's going to need and still keep the elite quickness?

Where is that word coming from? I've heard it a couple places now and I know it to be false. He played this season at between 295-300 and I bet he'll weight 310+ at workouts. There is another Jon Cooper who is on the Titans practice squad who is a very light interior lineman, came out of Oklahoma at 288. Perhaps there is some juxtaposition?
7. Jarvis Jones is black flagged on the Packers board after seeing how we've treated Terrence Murphy and Nick Collins, right?

I think Jarvis Jones is going to have a very hard time getting medically cleared by ANY NFL team. Dead serious about this. So is the NFL and head/neck injuries.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#617 » by Icness » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:46 pm

8. How can anybody take Fluker in the first 4 rounds? I get that guys with his size and disposition don't come along every day but the man can't pass protect. He's given up a ton of sacks and it would probably be more if he didn't get called for holding so much. What the hell are NFL athletes going to do to him?

You strap a tight end next to him to help in pass protect, slide backfield protection his way, and hope for the best. It's what the Vikings did with Loadholt, the Bucs with Trueblood, etc. Like I said about Warmack, powerful linemen that can street fight are coming back en vogue because zone blocking is being somewhat prohibited. Fluker's biggest issue is that he doesn't like to move his feet. He can, he just doesn't like to or remember. It's coachable to some extent; Gosder Cherilus had a similar problem and he's turned out to be a slightly above average right tackle.

9. Is this QB class awful or is it just that time of year? Every year just before the big bowls the amateur perception seems to be that this years QB class sucks and teams should wait until next year for whoever the big name is. In this instance Bridgewater. Is this just more of the same and this year's QB class is actually going to be fine, or for once did the general population stumble into something that's actually true?

Geno Smith is a 1st round talent but high risk for bust. Tyler Wilson (who topped my NYE Mock) is a legit 1st rounder who would be more highly regarded if Arkansas hadn't imploded around him and he didn't have three concussions in the last 15 months.

If this class were merged with last year I would rank it this way based on draft grade:
1. Luck
2. RG3
3. Tannehill
4. Weeden
5. Smith
6. R. Wilson
7. T. Wilson
8. Osweiler
9. Dysert
10. Cousins

Tyler Wilson is the only QB in this draft class that should ever see the field in 2013. I'll caveat that with the statement that I've only seen about half of Geno Smith's games this year.

I just did a Top 100 for the Lions site and Mike Glennon is not on it.

10. Is it wrong that I want to roll the dice on Michael Dyer? Is there anybody I can replace "Teh Kuhn" with?

Here's a guy who couldn't get accepted at a NAIA school because he couldn't read the application form. He's the darkest of dark horses. Nothing wrong with bringing him to camp but I wouldn't draft him.

11. Is this another year where the WRs are all jammed up in one group and teams are just going to pick the best fit and good luck trying to figure out who's going where?

Absolutely. After the top 2 (Allen & Austin, very different players in their own right) one team's #3 is another team's #12. Teams looking for a downfield threat are going to like Cordarrelle Patterson and Terrance Williams, teams that want someone who can actually catch 75% of the balls will like Cobi Hamilton and Robert Woods. There are three WRs that I can see going in the 1st or just as easily fall to the late 3rd: Patterson, Stedman Bailey, and Justin Hunter. Huge cluster of WRs between 40-80 overall. Smart teams will cherry pick the ones that fall to the top of the 4th.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#618 » by CJ_18 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:47 pm

Icness wrote:
CJ_18 wrote:Jeff if they changed the age rules, would Jadeveon Clowney go #1 in this years draft seeing as theres no current clear cut #1? is he that good?

100% yes, and teams would offer RG3-like packages to go get him.

Is he the best defensive prospect you've seen in years? How many years?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#619 » by Icness » Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:16 pm

Clowney is the best in a long time. Long time. I rated Von Miller very highly. Julius Peppers. I had a real high grade on Derrick Johnson. I suspect Clowney will grade higher than all of them. He's a Lawrence Taylor kind of impact player, once a generation and then some.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#620 » by RiotPunch » Thu Jan 3, 2013 11:50 pm

Curious to know your free safety rankings out of Vaccaro, Reid, Elam and Jefferson. Specifically, who has the highest ceiling and who would be the best fit in Green Bay? (I think I've heard you say Elam in the past, but would like to hear an updated opinion)
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to NFL Draft