Moderator: studcrackers

catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Re: Spontaneous mock draft 

Post#21 » by catalyst » Thu Dec 8, 2011 3:55 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Icness wrote:Jones will get drafted ahead of Tannehill, I have little doubt of that. Rating players and predicting how they will be drafted are very different fields.

True. I just don't see it with Tannehill. Not many players put it together in the NFL when they had 4 years in college and did nothing special.

Tannehill did not get QB snaps until game 7 of the 2010 season when Jerrod Johnson failed. I have hopes for him and know that he will be learning on the fly, more so than Jones who has been the regular starter since Bradford fell to Earl Thomas 3 years ago. I have much better hopes for Tannehill.

Drafting is so risky. Does anyone think that Andy Dalton was not a good pick. In a re-draft, he would be second qb.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#22 » by Icness » Thu Dec 8, 2011 4:21 pm

Tannehill has very similar experience to Mark Sanchez when he came out, except he played wide receiver for two years before playing QB whereas The Sanchize was always a QB.

Everything wrong with Tannehill is coachable, more or less, much in the way that Cam Newton's deficiencies were all coachable. Jones' issues are ones that almost never go away, much in the way that Rex Grossman can only be molded so much.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#23 » by Rafael122 » Fri Dec 9, 2011 2:16 pm

Rumor is Kalil is going back to school?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#24 » by catalyst » Fri Dec 9, 2011 2:38 pm

I am also a Longhorn, so it pains me to praise an Aggie. However, by praising the Aggie, I get to run over a Sooner.

I like Tannehill so much that I want Cowboys to take him to replace Romo at some point. McGee played OK with pared down playbook and roster, but I see more from Tannehill

Great Comps, Icness
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#25 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 9, 2011 7:02 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Rumor is Kalil is going back to school?

This would be pretty surprising. I wonder if he and Barkley are making the decision together.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#26 » by Icness » Fri Dec 9, 2011 9:56 pm

He asked the advisory committee to evaluate him, but he has allegedly shot down a couple of prominent agents. I know that Lane Kiffin has really been selling these guys on them being the ones to restore the glory and pride to USC. Maybe he's pretty persuasive.

From an evaluation standpoint, I would tell him to go back. He needs to continue to build more lower-body strength. Plus he has a great chance to go #1 overall next year. I have a hard time understanding why going #1 one year versus 2 to 5 another year is such a big deal but apparently it is for some guys.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#27 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 9, 2011 11:09 pm

Icness wrote:

He asked the advisory committee to evaluate him, but he has allegedly shot down a couple of prominent agents. I know that Lane Kiffin has really been selling these guys on them being the ones to restore the glory and pride to USC. Maybe he's pretty persuasive.

From an evaluation standpoint, I would tell him to go back. He needs to continue to build more lower-body strength. Plus he has a great chance to go #1 overall next year. I have a hard time understanding why going #1 one year versus 2 to 5 another year is such a big deal but apparently it is for some guys.

Because your one blown knee away from being the only cashier at Target who turned down 30 million dollars.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#28 » by Roger Murdock » Fri Dec 9, 2011 11:51 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Icness wrote:

Because your one blown knee away from being the only cashier at Target who turned down 30 million dollars.

Thats what hes saying. Hes saying whats the big deal about being drafted 4th this year as opposed to first next year. Not worth the huge risk for the small possibility of a marginal gain.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#29 » by Cammo101 » Fri Dec 9, 2011 11:55 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Thats what hes saying. Hes saying whats the big deal about being drafted 4th this year as opposed to first next year. Not worth the huge risk for the small possibility of a marginal gain.

Ahhh. I read it to mean whats the big deal in waiting a year if you can help your stock. In that case, I agree.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#30 » by ohara » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Saw where Manti Te'o is staying at ND and not declaring for the Draft. Surprised me a bit as he would likely be going 1st round anywhere from #13 - #18. I thought he was gone.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#31 » by Icness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm

ohara wrote:Saw where Manti Te'o is staying at ND and not declaring for the Draft. Surprised me a bit as he would likely be going 1st round anywhere from #13 - #18. I thought he was gone.

I'm going to find out more on this later this week, but I suspect Brian Kelly got some scouts to be brutally honest with Te'o and told him what he needed to hear. He was probably a 1st rounder but he needs some work and can really help himself by going back.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#32 » by lpsevier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Icness wrote:
ohara wrote:Saw where Manti Te'o is staying at ND and not declaring for the Draft. Surprised me a bit as he would likely be going 1st round anywhere from #13 - #18. I thought he was gone.

I'm going to find out more on this later this week, but I suspect Brian Kelly got some scouts to be brutally honest with Te'o and told him what he needed to hear. He was probably a 1st rounder but he needs some work and can really help himself by going back.

I'm thrilled for my Irish, but if that is true - I"m surprised Te'o was even talking to Kelly at this point.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#33 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 am

I like Te'o a LOT, hopefully he'll be there when the Saints pick in 2013!(pick 32)
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#34 » by Next Coming » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I'd be surprised if Kendall Wright-WR Baylor gets out of the 1st Round right now. He's definitely a Top 50 pick. Someone is going to get a stud.

I rank the WR's like this

Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State
Kendall Wright Baylor
Mohamed Sanu Rutgers
Jairus Wright Arkansas

With Joe Adams, TY Hilton, Alshon Jeffrey and Dwight Jones filling in somewhere after.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#35 » by hermes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 pm

since they are out of the luck sweepstakes, do you think the vikings would take any of the other qbs with their pick?

i could have seen luck over ponder and webb but could they justify any of the other guys?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#36 » by Icness » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 am

hermes wrote:since they are out of the luck sweepstakes, do you think the vikings would take any of the other qbs with their pick?

i could have seen luck over ponder and webb but could they justify any of the other guys?

They aren't taking another QB unless they are making a coaching change, and that seems highy unlikely.

I wish they would try to develop Webb. IMO there is real potential there but it needs a lot of work.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#37 » by Worm Guts » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Icness wrote:I wish they would try to develop Webb. IMO there is real potential there but it needs a lot of work.

What do you mean by that? You want them to develop him as a priority over Ponder, or solely as a QB?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#38 » by Icness » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:28 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Icness wrote:I wish they would try to develop Webb. IMO there is real potential there but it needs a lot of work.

What do you mean by that? You want them to develop him as a priority over Ponder, or solely as a QB?

Both. His passing is not pretty right now, but I love the way the team responds to him. Give him a full offseason with a real QB coach and a stable system and I think he can lead this team much better than Ponder. And I don't think Ponder sucks, either, but he is as good as he's ever going to be and that's not good enough to ever win a playoff game.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#39 » by GYBE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Michael Floyd got injured in the debacle that was their bowl game. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#40 » by ohara » Tue Jan 3, 2012 2:53 pm

My Panthers will pick either 8th or 9th, depending upon a coin flip. They will get back some defense off the IR, so that will help their D. Have to think that they will look at Zach Brown, Kuechly or Dre Kirkpatrick for D, or Justin Blackmon if he is still there for them. Any of those 4 will help.

Return to NFL Draft