Since Colts are drafting Luck, Who's #2?

Moderator: studcrackers

RLakh23
Starter
And1: 0

Since Colts are drafting Luck, Who's #2? 

Post#1 » by RLakh23 » Mon Jan 9, 2012 8:11 pm

Who do you think the Rams should draft? Personally I think they should trade down and get an extra pick because of trading for Floyd mid season.

RG3 is #2 on my board but Rams have Bradford and his fat contract.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Since Colts are drafting Luck, Who's #2? 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:19 pm

If the Rams had to stand pat, I would take Blackmon to give Bradford a legit receiver to throw to, or Kalil since the offensive line needs work.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Griffin will be the #2 pick, and it won't be the Rams taking him. Whoever comes up with the most attractive package to move up out of the following group will get him:

Cleveland, Washington, Seattle (unlikely), Miami, Baltimore (unlikely but if Flacco stinks this weekend...), Jets

My money is on Cleveland, giving up the #4 pick, their 2nd round pick and next year's 1st.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
JustBlaze
Starter
And1: 386

Post#4 » by JustBlaze » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Icness wrote:Griffin will be the #2 pick, and it won't be the Rams taking him. Whoever comes up with the most attractive package to move up out of the following group will get him:

Cleveland, Washington, Seattle (unlikely), Miami, Baltimore (unlikely but if Flacco stinks this weekend...), Jets

My money is on Cleveland, giving up the #4 pick, their 2nd round pick and next year's 1st.

That would be an awesome deal for the Rams...much better than drafting Blackmon at #2 since they could still get him at #4, but even that may be a little high for him.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#5 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 am

Icness wrote:Griffin will be the #2 pick, and it won't be the Rams taking him. Whoever comes up with the most attractive package to move up out of the following group will get him:

Theres no way we give up that much, to move up 2 spots, for the (maybe) second best quarterback in the draft. Thats essentially trading the 4th, a top 10 pick, and a second rounder to move up two spots. The 4th and the 2nd rounder is plenty. The Rams will still get who they want at 4 and an added pick.

We would have to seriously outbid ourselves if we ended up doing that. Realistically theres no way the Rams or Vikings draft RG3, so that would mean hes there for us to take without trades. Do you really see the Redskins offering their first, second, next years first, and more? I don't think theres any chance in hell of that happening. The Browns aren't going to outbid themselves. If the Rams or Vikings really want to move down to 6th or lower, they can kiss Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon goodbye. Then they are stuck looking at guys like Floyd or Reiff at the 6th spot, which seems really ugly. Maybe Kirkpatrick, but I would be pretty pissed if he was clearly the best talent available after my team just won 3 games.
RLakh23
Starter

Post#6 » by RLakh23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 am

Browns will only trade up if they feel Rams are moving the pick. But I could see a bidding war for the #2. Browns still have a shot at Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. Personally I believe after the combine Barkley slips into a late first, early second rounder. Trojans had a stacked line. Playing for USC is totally different from Cleveland. Washington, another team in the hunt. But I see them waiting on Jones. Seattle will probably get Barkley. Miami and the Jets need quarterback and RG3 would look mighty good in Miami and NY. And Ravens want to see how Flacco finishes. Even if he does bad I don't see Baltimore going quarterback. Defense has always been their motto. Ravens, Miami and Jets will probably give Flacco, Henne and Sanchez another year.

Morris Claiborne would be my #1 on the defensive side. Kirkpatrick and Coples are a close #2. Kirkpatrick BCS game impacts his value. Big corners are hard to come by. I didn't see the UNC bowl game but Coples stock seem to slip after the bowl game. But Claiborne is the clear choice at #2 if you go with defense. Kalil wouldn't be bad choice.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#7 » by Icness » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Roger--the Browns would be pre-emptively trading up to make sure nobody gets ahead of them. If they think RG3 is worth it.

rlakh--Barkley and Jones both went back to school.

Let's say the Rams keep it. Kalil? Claiborne? Blackmon? Coples? Ingram? Martin? I've been doing the draft a long time and I cannot recall a less-inspiring top 5 non-QB prospects.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
RLakh23
Starter

Post#8 » by RLakh23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

oh i didnt know that. Good decision for both. I could see Washington handing Matt Flynn a ridiculous contract kind of like KC with Cassell. Or Peyton but I don't see Colts trading him this year.

Right at the moment, Kalil, gotta protect the quarterback.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#9 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Icness wrote:Roger--the Browns would be pre-emptively trading up to make sure nobody gets ahead of them. If they think RG3 is worth it.

rlakh--Barkley and Jones both went back to school.

Let's say the Rams keep it. Kalil? Claiborne? Blackmon? Coples? Ingram? Martin? I've been doing the draft a long time and I cannot recall a less-inspiring top 5 non-QB prospects.

I understand that would be a preemptive trade, but to offer that much it would mean that they believe:

1. RG3 is worth so much more than anyone who will be available at 4 that its worth the coaching staff and front office risking all their collective jobs to move up two spots for him.

2. That the Redskins will offer two firsts, a second rounder, and then more (they are paying the premium to move up even farther than the Browns, and the dropoff from 4 to 6 in this situation would be huge because Kalil is not going to be there, and Claiborne and Blackmon probably wouldnt be there either, and who else would they even want that high?). So they would basically be thinking that the Redskins are offering the value of ~3 first rounders.

It seems like an absurd amount to overpay, especially since the Rams and Vikings will in no way draft them. The only way they would have to offer that much is if the Redskins or Dolphins go insane trying to trade up for RG3, and if they are really planning on offering a package that extreme, why wouldn't they be trying to move up for Luck instead?

Maybe I could see a sitation where the Browns add a second rounder, the Rams still get Kalil, and are happy.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 pm

It's a steep price, but far from unprecendented. If you want to trade up for a QB this high in the draft, it's gonna cost you an extra 1st round pick minimum.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Well, with Tannehill being hurt and his stock falling a bit, I think the Redskins may wait until the 2nd round to take him(if he does indeed fall that far).
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#12 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm with Iceness on this one. The Rams will trade the #2 pick to the highest bidder (either Cleveland or Washington IMO) and RG3 will go #2.

If St. Louis stays at #2 they likely take Kalil. Blackmon is a possibility as well.

I disagree with Iceness about the talent in the top 5. IMO the top 5 is very good, but there is a pretty decent drop-off after #5. Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are solid. After that, it's a crapshoot.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#13 » by hermes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm

so if RG3 goes two do the vikings stay at 3 to get kalil or do they move down to get more picks?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:09 pm

hermes wrote:so if RG3 goes two do the vikings stay at 3 to get kalil or do they move down to get more picks?

Unless someone blows them away with an offer, I'd think they stay at #3 and take either Blackmon or Kalil.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#15 » by reeDfense » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 pm

I say trade down with Washington pick up some extra picks..and take blackmon...or the best sf available.
ninjabelly
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#16 » by ninjabelly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm

there's no way barkley slips to second, locker layed a complete dud his senior year and was still first round
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#17 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 pm

ninjabelly wrote:there's no way barkley slips to second, locker layed a complete dud his senior year and was still first round

Barkley would probably go higher than RGIII if he were coming out this ear. Barkley will be the #1 pick next year.

Return to NFL Draft