Moderator: studcrackers

Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Re: Random draft notes 

Post#61 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 am

Icness wrote:
Bucksfans1and2 wrote:
Icness wrote:I've said it since October, Riley Reiff is Jeff Backus 2.0. He'll be a dependable but not great starter for a decade, better run blocker than pass protector, can handle power off the edge but speed is a killer. My fellow Lions fans tend to hate on Backus too much, but he's never been more than about the 12th best LT in the league.

I watched some more Iowa last week (specifically Nebraska and Iowa State) and Reiff was a little better than I graded him last month. A little better at moving in space and recovering when he gets beat initially. First rounder, better than Bulaga was but not a guy I would be comfortable taking in the top 20.

You really hate Bulaga.

No. I just never bought in to him being great. He's an average starting RT that might effort his way to one Pro Bowl in his 12 year career. That's a 3rd round pick to me, nothing more. Had a 3rd round grade on him and little I've seen has made me think any differently.

The Packers staff had him at 1.5 sacks, 18.5 pressures, and 6 bad runs. I haven't seen the numbers on other RTs, but I suspect that's a fair bit better than average.

He's not a Left Tackle, and he doesn't really even "look" all that great at RT, but he was pretty dang productive this year. He's easily the best RT in the NFC North, though that's not saying much considering the competition is Phil Loadholt, and whichever scrubs the Bears and Lions choose to throw out that week.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#62 » by Icness » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:51 pm

A few more late developments:

--Derek Wolfe is going top 50. I've seen some stuff that he's first round and I just don't buy it but a lot of people see him as a junior version of JJ Watt.

--I'll be pretty surprised if the top 7 picks stay intact. Expect at least one move between 3 and 7, perhaps more. The Rams moving up to get Richardson is a legit rumor. So is the Jets moving up to JAX spot. Unsure about the validity of the Philly moving up rumors.

--Kendall Wright could slide out of the first round. I don't think he should but it could happen.

--Two pairings that I dislike but have legit basis: Riley Reiff to Buffalo at #10 and Nick Perry to Detroit at #23. I would put both at even money picks, though the Lions will pounce on some others guys first (Kirkpatrick, Mercilus, Glenn) ahead of Perry if given the chance. I finished a mock last night (should be up today) where I mentioned that I had Glenn to Buffalo but was told by someone who would know that Reiff would be the pick. They have not decided yet, could still be Gilmore or Floyd as well. Could also be Tannehill.

--One of the traits I really look for in pass rushers is the ability to flatten around the edge and close on the QB. In this draft nobody does that better than Melvin Ingram and it's not really close. Bruce Irvin would be 2nd, and Sammy Brown of Houston would be 3rd. For guys that are going to stand up and play OLB that is an absolute requisite skill. Next tier would be Mercilus, Curry, and Chandler Jones, though with Jones it's only about half the time. Two guys that do not do it well: Nick Perry and Shea McClellin. Perry often takes an extra wide step to gather himself and then redirect to the QB, though out of that step he can really burst. McClellin is more of a hustle/read and react kind of rusher that needs a strong pass rusher on the other side. Two late-round guys that flatten real well: Frank Alexander and Adrian Hamilton, but don't ask either of them to do anything else, complete situational edge speed rushers.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#63 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 pm

-Wolfe is extremely similar to Watt, only Wolfe's not a dominating physical specimen with talent leaking out of his ears.

-I truly do not understand the Mercilus love coming out recently? Is there something that I'm missing?

-There's no way Perry succeeds in the NFL the way he plays now. You're going to have to sit the guy down and point out to him that he's not beating anyone turning the corner.

- Who are the WRs that have passed Wright??

- Where does Andre Branch rate as a corner turner?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Post#64 » by fleet » Fri May 4, 2012 1:57 pm

Icness wrote:-Alshon Jeffery looks horrible, as in 249 pounds and can't break 4.8 in the 40, which makes him a slow tight end. Got that straight from a guy who has been working out at the same facility. He has already swapped agents and appears "like he don't give a sh**" about being professional. The Combine workouts for WRs are exactly two weeks from today. If he is above 240 and can't break 4.7--and nobody seems to think he will hit either benchmark--he's undraftable above the 5th round, if at all. Stay tuned...

given that he has now run in the sub 4.5 range, has weighed around 215, and was the first player to sign his rookie deal saying he "can't wait" etc. Has there been a different outlook lately on his prospects?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
tera gold
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#65 » by tera gold » Sat May 5, 2012 1:15 am

Today is a very good weather

Return to NFL Draft