Gibbs' Mock Draft (Top 15)

Moderator: studcrackers

Gibbs
Rookie
And1: 3

Gibbs' Mock Draft (Top 15) 

Post#1 » by Gibbs » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:17 am

1. Oakland: Calvin Johnson- I really don't see Al Davis making the logical decision and picking Russell. I see him picking up Culpepper instead.

2. Detroit: Gaines Adams- Lions have a lot of holes in their line-up, I don't see them trading down. With Kitna's great year and their offseason moves I don't see them drafting offense. They will take the best defensive player available who is Adams.

3. Cleveland: JaMarcus Russell- After seeing Oakland pass up on this guy they won't make the same mistake. The facts that all of his measurables are better than Quinn's and he stepped up in big games makes him an easy choice over Quinn.

4. Tampa: Jamaal Anderson- With Johnson off the board they look to get an athletic difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Anderson fits this description

5. Arizona: Joe Thomas- Easy pick here, they pick up a LT to protect Leinart's blind-side for his entire career.

6. Washington: Amobi Okoye- Potentially the best defensie player in the draft down the road. The Skins need the pressure that he will provide.

7. Minnesota: Brady Quinn- Fills a glaring need at QB, the only team next to Cleveland to bring their HC, and GM to his pro day.

8. Atlanta: Laron Landry- Fills the Falcons most glaring need at safety. Top safety in the draft, and will be an immediate contributor.

9. Miami: Levi Brown- Get some help to keep Culpepper or any other QB they get to replace him off their ass.

10. Houston: Adrian Peterson- Really he could have gone anywhere between 3-10 but the needs weren't there. I see him falling to Houston if no one makes a move to pick him up. Houston doesn't make the mistake they made with Bush.

11. San Francisco: Alan Branch- Beef up their D-Line, and fills a position of need. Branch will be an immediate impact for a playoff push in 07'.

12. Buffalo: Leon Hall- Fills the corner position that Clemens left when he signed with the 49er's. He can provide an immediate impact.

13. St. Louis: Adam Carriker- Will be able to provide a boost to their run-stopping defense with his size and his versatility to play both the defensive end and tackle position.

14. Carolina: Ted Ginn Jr.- Gives the Panthers another weapon other than Steve Smith. This will take a lot of pressure off of Delhomme to be constantly trying to make plays by himself and forcing plays.

15. Pittsburgh: Patrick Willis- Somewhat fills the hole that Porter left when he was released, he will be able to provide that big hit and will be able to get to the QB with his speed and quickiness.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:43 am

Certainly a creative Mock - not much here that I've seen before. Just a few critiques though:

Jamaal Anderson's stock has been falling quickly, so I don't see Tampa spending a top 5 pick on him. I think they'd be more likely to take Thomas, Quinn, or trade down given who's left to them.

Carolina needs a big, physical WR to put next to Smith - someone in the mold of what Keyshawn Johnson gave them last year. Ginn is essentially "Smith-lite" and would be a poor fit next to Smith. Greg Olson from Miami is more likely here IMO.

The Steelers don't need Willis - he's an ILB and Porter was an OLB. If they are looking to replace Porter they'd ideally want more of a DE/OLB fusion player. The Steelers probably use that pick to find a CB (Revis? Houston?) and look for the DE/OLB in the 2nd round.

Certainly interesting though, and for the most part plausable.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#3 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:48 am

Here's what I've got so far (top 15):

1. Oakland - JaMarcus Russell
2. Detroit - Joe Thomas
3. Cleveland - Brady Quinn
4. Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson
5. Arizona - Gaines Adams
6. Washington - Jamaal Anderson
7. Minnesota - LaRon Landry
8. Atlanta - Amobi Okoye
9. Miami - Levi Brown
10. Houston - Adrian Peterson
11. San Francisco - Patrick Willis
12. Buffalo - Marshawn Lynch
13. St. Louis - Alan Branch
14. Carolina - Greg Olson
15. Pittsburgh - Leon Hall
Gibbs
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Gibbs » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:14 am

I see where you come from with your critiques,

The main reasons my mock is different is because I try hard not to read other mocks too much before I make my own. It makes it more fun while watching the draft ;)

1. Oakland: Calvin Johnson- I really don't see Al Davis making the logical decision and picking Russell. I see him picking up Culpepper instead.

2. Detroit: Gaines Adams- Lions have a lot of holes in their line-up, I don't see them trading down. With Kitna's great year and their offseason moves I don't see them drafting offense. They will take the best defensive player available who is Adams.

3. Cleveland: JaMarcus Russell- After seeing Oakland pass up on this guy they won't make the same mistake. The facts that all of his measurables are better than Quinn's and he stepped up in big games makes him an easy choice over Quinn.

4. Tampa: Amobi Okoye

5. Arizona: Joe Thomas- Easy pick here, they pick up a LT to protect Leinart's blind-side for his entire career.

6. Washington: Trade with pats, pats pick Laron Landry

7. Minnesota: Brady Quinn- Fills a glaring need at QB, the only team next to Cleveland to bring their HC, and GM to his pro day.

8. Atlanta: Jamaal Anderson

9. Miami: Levi Brown- Get some help to keep Culpepper or any other QB they get to replace him off their ass.

10. Houston: Adrian Peterson- Really he could have gone anywhere between 3-10 but the needs weren't there. I see him falling to Houston if no one makes a move to pick him up. Houston doesn't make the mistake they made with Bush.

11. San Francisco: Alan Branch- Beef up their D-Line, and fills a position of need. Branch will be an immediate impact for a playoff push in 07'.

12. Buffalo: Leon Hall- Fills the corner position that Clemens left when he signed with the 49er's. He can provide an immediate impact.

13. St. Louis: Adam Carriker- Will be able to provide a boost to their run-stopping defense with his size and his versatility to play both the defensive end and tackle position.

14. Carolina: Greg Olsen

15. Pittsburgh: Darelle Revis

Made some minor tweaks to it
Prue
Senior
And1: 10

Post#5 » by Prue » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Ya I agree the Johnson will go #1 overall and Adams will go #2 Browns are going to pick BPA. The Bucs have gone 10 years without a legit starting left takle so I could see them taking Joe Thomas.
BillyBongThorton
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by BillyBongThorton » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:15 pm

gswhoops wrote:Here's what I've got so far (top 15):

1. Oakland - JaMarcus Russell
2. Detroit - Joe Thomas
3. Cleveland - Brady Quinn
4. Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson
5. Arizona - Gaines Adams
6. Washington - Jamaal Anderson
7. Minnesota - LaRon Landry
8. Atlanta - Amobi Okoye
9. Miami - Levi Brown
10. Houston - Adrian Peterson
11. San Francisco - Patrick Willis
12. Buffalo - Marshawn Lynch
13. St. Louis - Alan Branch
14. Carolina - Greg Olson
15. Pittsburgh - Leon Hall

???? Jamaal Anderson's stock is dropping quickly... you said it your self. so you have him going # 6?
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Post#7 » by High 5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:35 pm

The Falcons' most glaring need is not a FS. FS, DE and OT are all up there. FS is a little easier to find in rounds 2-3 than the other two positions, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Jamaal Anderson or Levi Brown. Of course I wouldn't be mad if we picked up Landry, I just hope he can learn to defend the deep ball a little better.

I see Amobi Okoye more as a UT and we already have one of the best in the league there in Coleman and a good young back-up in Babineaux. Even if he can play NT in the NFL, I think FS, DE and OT are much bigger needs.

Return to NFL Draft