Matt Ryan

Moderator: studcrackers

jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Matt Ryan 

Post#1 » by jumanji » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Big game for him against Va tech, maybe a chance to separate himself from the others.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,082

Post#2 » by High 5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 am

Or not.

Or I could not make post like these with 5 minutes remaining. He went from zero to hero pretty quickly. He looked like garbage for the first 55 minutes. Pretty amazing last two drives.
bigrich88
Junior
And1: 3

Post#3 » by bigrich88 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 am

High 5 wrote:Or not.

Or I could not make post like these with 5 minutes remaining. He went from zero to hero pretty quickly. He looked like garbage for the first 55 minutes. Pretty amazing last two drives.

that could be a sign of a great QB though. I think he could possibly be the second best QB in this draft(right after Andre Woodson). i think it's a great sign he did bad for most of the game but did great on the last 2 drives because as a QB one of the most important things is how you perform in the clutch and what Matt Ryan did on the last 2 drives at Virginia Tech was very impressive and very clutch, he is solidifying himself as an elite QB.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:15 pm

I agree with bigrich--he showed a rare quality there at the end of the game, something that you either have or you don't, and if you have it you get drafted a lot higher. His ability to overcome a rough game and still make some truly special throws and rally his team around him to pull out a tough road victory really says a lot to GMs and scouts. The last TD throw is going to get all the publicity, but the 1st one was an absolutely perfect pass that half the starting QBs in the NFL right now cannot make. Nice catch too.

I liked the shots of Ryan puking repeatedly after the second drive--that happens all the time bu tcameras rarely stay on a guy they think might yak.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,082

Post#5 » by High 5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:38 pm

bigrich88 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

that could be a sign of a great QB though. I think he could possibly be the second best QB in this draft(right after Andre Woodson). i think it's a great sign he did bad for most of the game but did great on the last 2 drives because as a QB one of the most important things is how you perform in the clutch and what Matt Ryan did on the last 2 drives at Virginia Tech was very impressive and very clutch, he is solidifying himself as an elite QB.

Yeah, but I'd definitely take Ryan over Woodson. Woodson just hasn't looked that impressive to me.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#6 » by greenbeans » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:42 am

i know its blasphemy around these parts, but hes a college version of tom brady. well, pre-07 brady. he does what it takes to win THAT game. now that might mean throwing the ball 40+ times or handing it off 40+ times but whatever the coaches ask of him, hell do. brady used to have games all the time like ryans last night. hell be decent for 50+ min, but when the clocks ticking and the games on the line hell make it happen.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#7 » by jumanji » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:00 pm

greenbeans wrote:i know its blasphemy around these parts, but hes a college version of tom brady. well, pre-07 brady. he does what it takes to win THAT game. now that might mean throwing the ball 40+ times or handing it off 40+ times but whatever the coaches ask of him, hell do. brady used to have games all the time like ryans last night. hell be decent for 50+ min, but when the clocks ticking and the games on the line hell make it happen.

A lot of comparisons to Brady but to be fair you have to compare them at similar stages in their career, Ryan in that regard is way ahead of Brady because of his success and opportunity.

Ryan needs to get bigger and stronger, things which are certainly attainable. As for his mechanics, arm strength, poise and condidence he's top shelf. And he doesnt exactly have Moss/Welker and Stallworth to throw to does he? :D
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#8 » by greenbeans » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:57 pm

jumanji wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

A lot of comparisons to Brady but to be fair you have to compare them at similar stages in their career, Ryan in that regard is way ahead of Brady because of his success and opportunity.

Ryan needs to get bigger and stronger, things which are certainly attainable. As for his mechanics, arm strength, poise and condidence he's top shelf. And he doesnt exactly have Moss/Welker and Stallworth to throw to does he? :D

ya, hes ALOT like brady in his first 2-3 years, A LOT
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#9 » by Icness » Mon Dec 3, 2007 7:17 pm

I've watched the last two BC games and I think the Tom Brady@Michigan comparisons are pretty valid from those games. He's got great composure, great confidence, good movement and pocket awareness. He can still get baited into mistakes and he tries to make something out of nothing too often, but if he doesn't on that team they won't win much. There really isn't much NFL-caliber talent around him on that offense, probably only Cherilus, but he has successfully run a pro-style offense in a pretty good defensive conference.

I still prefer Brohm, but I think the more people step back and evaluate Ryan for all he accomplished with what he had to work with, the more people are going to think he's got a higher ceiling. The other guy I see when I watch him is a righty Boomer Esiason, who was good enough to get the Bengals to a Super Bowl.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,244

Post#10 » by TheSheriff » Thu Dec 6, 2007 10:58 pm

He the scouting reports on Ryan are much more favorable than they were for Michigan Brady. He throws a great ball and has ice water in his veins. He does need to make better decisions at times. some times he is unaware of were his on on the field (he has been called for throwing the ball beyond the line of scrimmage on multiple occasions). However other times he makes amazing reads. Any team that needs a QB and passes on him will regret it.

Return to NFL Draft