Mel Kiper's 1st mock draft

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#21 » by Icness » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Crable is a tweener without the requisite speed to play OLB. He's not close to being as good as Lamarr Woodley, who was basically in the same spot last year. He's going to really have to show a great nose for the ball and ability to get off blocks to make it. I wouldn't go above a 4th on him, but that doesn't mean some team won't. He's never been a big pass rusher, more of a run stuffer and gap filler than dogger.

Beau Bell is hurt and that is hurting his performance. I think he's done for the week now. He lacks ideal measurables but he's very intelligent and reads plays quickly. He's got a chance to be a decent pro. Plays kind of like Abdul Hodge did at Iowa, but Bell is bigger and doesn't have a broken neck.
OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Post#22 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks for the reply Ice. I will look forward to asking you many of questions through out the whole draft process. In my mock draft I have Vernon Gholston going to the Rams because he just seems like a better fit. Many have the Rams jumping on Dorsey if he fell to the Rams but I was reading that Haseltt likes to play hybrid defense 4-3 and 3-4. Wouldnt it benefit the Rams more to get the flexible Gholston who can learn from Little and Hill???? but then come in on third down 3-4 packages as an OLB. Just seems like the perfect fit for him. Carriker and Ryan are two pretty decent Tackles so I would think the bigger need would be for a speed end.
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#23 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:05 am

Icness have you heard or spoken to any rams officials? What did you hear about them in terms of the draft, FA targets, trade talks and if they are switching defenses.

Thanks man.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#24 » by Icness » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 pm

re: the Rams

Haslett wants flexibility to do different things, present different looks. And they already have a few pieces (Carriker, Witherspoon) who can move around and play well in different spots. So a hybrid DE/OLB sure makes a lot of sense, a guy who can play in the manner that Jason Taylor has for MIA. I know they are really hoping to upgrade the pass rush and that they feel their secondary is better than it looked because the pass rush was awful. I would agree with that too.

Just from the grapevine I've heard they really want to move down 2-4 spots and get an extra pick. I know they really do like Jake Long and they're not real keen on spending yet another high pick on the DL, so the mocks with Jake Long going there sure make a lot of realistic sense. That extra pick would almost certainly be a WR, because this is probably the last season for both Holt and Bruce.

They do not have a great deal of cap $$ so they won't be major players (no Samuel or Faneca). Clark Haggins would be a great fit for what they want to do defensively, and I would not be surprised if they went after one of the Colts' G, who are both unrestricted and Indy is likely to let one of them go.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#25 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Great thanks. I am guessing off that that if we trade down its most likely for Gholston.

That really helps man.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,245

Post#26 » by BBallFreak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:36 am

Iceness,

Where do you think Miami goes with it's pick? Do they trade down, hoping to collect more picks, or do they take one of the linemen (Dorsey or one of the Longs) or maybe trade down one or two spots and still get one of the linemen?

I just can't get a read on Parcells, yet. I have no idea what he's got planned.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#27 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Manningham is not my Pick for cowboys. Would rather go Smith then hardy

Return to NFL Draft