Ryan Clady?

Moderator: studcrackers

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Ryan Clady? 

Post#1 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:09 pm

Why is this guy's stock all of a sudden shooting up... he's up in the top 5 of projected picks now, behind Long @ OT...

Anyone know why?
treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by treyZz » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:32 pm

He's athletic and fat.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:50 pm

He's a very naturally graceful tackle with awesome power. Think a combo of Willie Roaf's agility and odd-but-effective technique paired with the "I'm gonna kick your momma's butt" attitude of a Tony Pashos or Jon Jansen. He's very big, very coordinated, very light on his feet for such a big hombre.

The two knocks I've heard:
1. He doesn't always bring it when he's not facing better competition. And that happened to him a lot at Boise, where they play a non-BCS schedule and 8 games at home every year
2. Has trouble maintaining and finishing his run blocks when he's on an island or out in space. Which is a fairly common problem for taller guys--Jon Ogden has been terrible at that for years but he's still a HOFer.

I think he's going to be a better pro than Jake Long. Long is a better run blocker and he's faced lots of NFLers in his 4 years, so he's probably more ready to start right away adn make an impact. But Clady should be a much better pass blocker and grow into his run blocking. From what I'm told he's a pretty bright guy too; says next to nothing but it's not for lack of intelligence.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
JurassicJake
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by JurassicJake » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:28 pm

If some people think he is going to be better pro, why does Long go before him? Only because he will be more ready faster?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#5 » by Icness » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:25 pm

JurassicJake wrote:If some people think he is going to be better pro, why does Long go before him? Only because he will be more ready faster?

That and the fact Long played for Michigan. He faced off against NFL talent at DE every practice and got to face lots of better competition. Clady played Hawaii and the directional Louisiana and Nevada schools.

Long is also regarded as safer, because his run blocking is well established and he's a flat-out nasty competitor. Some people see Clady as more of a risk because he's so quiet and doesn't try to maim people every play.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game

Return to NFL Draft