Why can't the Brewers settle down?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Why can't the Brewers settle down? 

Post#1 » by goirish2107 » Thu Jul 5, 2007 4:12 pm

This comes from Ian Snell after the game yesterday:

"They're a good team," Snell said. "I can't take anything away from them. But, to tell you the truth, they were helping me out. They were trying to kill the ball, and they ended up hitting a lot of lazy fly balls."

It seems like every time this team starts losing games, its because they trying to hit home runs. Also, anyone else notice how many times they all were swinging on the first pitch yesterday? but when they start taking pitches, they start winning, as i'm sure you guys are well aware. hell even billy hall started playing better when he started taking pitches at the no-hitter.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,847

Post#2 » by Ayt » Thu Jul 5, 2007 4:47 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/agg ... eason=2007

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/agg ... eason=2007

We are doing alright.

Every team goes through stretches where they don't hit all that well collectively. If its just one guy, you don't notice. But if multiple guys are struggling it really sticks out.

Our offense is a powerhouse and has gotten even better since Braun was added and Hart became healthy. I'm definitely not worried about our offense.

Here are the breakdowns:
2nd in runs
1st in OPS
1st in SLG
2nd in AVG (behind Col)
5th in OBP
1st in Total Bases
6th in SO (a little surprising)
6th in SB
1st in fewest double plays (wow)
MadCityBucky
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#3 » by MadCityBucky » Thu Jul 5, 2007 5:38 pm

The BrewCrew is a young club. As they progress through the season they'll start to become much more comfortable.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

vargas/bush 

Post#4 » by aaprigs311 » Thu Jul 5, 2007 6:11 pm

I don't know about you guys, but i'm sick of nascar ned just settling with vargas and bush as the 4-5 starters. Gallardo needs to be put in the rotation. I understand yost wants him to be fresh for fall, but come on. Vargas hasn't gotten past the 6th all season long. He walks too many batters and allows too many hits. I think he would be good trade bait. Bush has been a little better lately and I'm starting to believe in him a little more, but I'm fed up with vargas. While I'm at it I've just about had enough of spurling and shouse. they are both bush league. i dont care if their era's are semi-respectable. the brewers have trade bait and talent in the minors and they need to utilize those resources. Why does yost continue to settle with mediocracy in the rotation and pen? That's what bugs me. Anyone feelin' me at all?
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Re: vargas/bush 

Post#5 » by livestrong4ever » Thu Jul 5, 2007 6:17 pm

aaprigs311 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but i'm sick of nascar ned just settling with vargas and bush as the 4-5 starters. Gallardo needs to be put in the rotation. I understand yost wants him to be fresh for fall, but come on. Vargas hasn't gotten past the 6th all season long. He walks too many batters and allows too many hits. I think he would be good trade bait. Bush has been a little better lately and I'm starting to believe in him a little more, but I'm fed up with vargas. While I'm at it I've just about had enough of spurling and shouse. they are both bush league. i dont care if their era's are semi-respectable. the brewers have trade bait and talent in the minors and they need to utilize those resources. Why does yost continue to settle with mediocracy in the rotation and pen? That's what bugs me. Anyone feelin' me at all?

Why Blow out Gallardos arm? That makes no sense at all. He wouldn't even be up right now if it wasnt for cappys injury.

Vargas is a great 5th starter I really have no idea why your complaining about him.

Dave Bush, has been pitching pretty damn good in his last 6 or so starts
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach

vargas 

Post#6 » by aaprigs311 » Thu Jul 5, 2007 7:17 pm

dude, look at vargas' numbers.. they are progressively getting worse start after start. i'm not arguing that he is a bad starter, but gallardo is ten times better. i dont buy into the whole gallardo is gonna blow his arm out b.s. either. everyone uses liriano last year as an example, well name a couple other big time guys that have f'd their arms up in their rookie seasons. there is a pitch count for a reason. limit gallardo to about 90-95 a game and all will be fine. he's only 21 for christ's sake. he didn't look too good coming outta the pen the other day either did he? i still think it's a waste of talent. how long before manny parra is called up you think? ... mid august? he'd definitely be an upgrade over shouse and spurling and he's a lefty who throws hard.
mnstinks
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Re: vargas/bush 

Post#7 » by mnstinks » Thu Jul 5, 2007 7:29 pm

aaprigs311 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but i'm sick of nascar ned just settling with vargas and bush as the 4-5 starters. Gallardo needs to be put in the rotation. I understand yost wants him to be fresh for fall, but come on. Vargas hasn't gotten past the 6th all season long. He walks too many batters and allows too many hits. I think he would be good trade bait. Bush has been a little better lately and I'm starting to believe in him a little more, but I'm fed up with vargas. While I'm at it I've just about had enough of spurling and shouse. they are both bush league. i dont care if their era's are semi-respectable. the brewers have trade bait and talent in the minors and they need to utilize those resources. Why does yost continue to settle with mediocracy in the rotation and pen? That's what bugs me. Anyone feelin' me at all?

safe to say "nascar ned" and the rest of the organization knows more than you

every team in baseball want to improve pitching
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Re: vargas 

Post#8 » by livestrong4ever » Thu Jul 5, 2007 9:04 pm

aaprigs311 wrote:dude, look at vargas' numbers.. they are progressively getting worse start after start. i'm not arguing that he is a bad starter, but gallardo is ten times better. i dont buy into the whole gallardo is gonna blow his arm out b.s. either. everyone uses liriano last year as an example, well name a couple other big time guys that have f'd their arms up in their rookie seasons. there is a pitch count for a reason. limit gallardo to about 90-95 a game and all will be fine. he's only 21 for christ's sake. he didn't look too good coming outta the pen the other day either did he? i still think it's a waste of talent. how long before manny parra is called up you think? ... mid august? he'd definitely be an upgrade over shouse and spurling and he's a lefty who throws hard.

Its not BS at all buddy.

If you cant figure it , that its pretty friggin dumb to put a young pitcher out there for 200 innings a year with lookin at the recent history of pitcher blowing there arms out ( kerry wood,mark prior) you got a lot to learn. Its just not about this year blowing his arm out its in years to come. Theres no need for him to go out there and be our fifth starter with the record vargus has .
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach

asdfsg 

Post#9 » by aaprigs311 » Fri Jul 6, 2007 12:07 am

i guess you guys don't want to see a playoff run as much as i do. grow some balls. we aren't even gonna win the division with bush and vargas givin up 5-6 runs every other start. prince's shoulders are starting to hurt. you guys gotta stop talkin like you are gm's or scouts too because you're not. i'm stating my opinion i dont need to be scolded. we'll see how the season plays out. i say the cubs will be winning the division by end of july if the brewers don't make a trade to improve their pitching. then you guys can eat my hairy ass with a spoon.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Re: asdfsg 

Post#10 » by livestrong4ever » Fri Jul 6, 2007 1:08 am

aaprigs311 wrote:i guess you guys don't want to see a playoff run as much as i do. grow some balls. we aren't even gonna win the division with bush and vargas givin up 5-6 runs every other start. prince's shoulders are starting to hurt. you guys gotta stop talkin like you are gm's or scouts too because you're not. i'm stating my opinion i dont need to be scolded. we'll see how the season plays out. i say the cubs will be winning the division by end of july if the brewers don't make a trade to improve their pitching. then you guys can eat my hairy ass with a spoon.

Grow some balls?

What the hell are you talking about.

Vargas is what 12-3 in his starts? Hes a **** great 5th starter.
Bush had a couple bad starts this year and hasn't giving up more then 4 runs in a game since may 30th.

Stop bitching about Gallardo not being in the roation. Its not worth the risk of him **** up his arm for the rest of his career. But you dont seem to understand that, its not just this year. Its next year and the year after that.

Like Ayt explained before you dont want to make a young pitcher pitch more then 25 innings in a year.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,455

Re: asdfsg 

Post#11 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 6, 2007 1:52 am

aaprigs311 wrote:i'm stating my opinion i dont need to be scolded.

aaprigs311 wrote:grow some balls.

aaprigs311 wrote:you guys gotta stop talkin like you are gm's or scouts too because you're not.

aaprigs311 wrote:then you guys can eat my hairy ass with a spoon.

Can you say hypocrite?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#12 » by Captain Erv » Fri Jul 6, 2007 2:41 am

I think the main thing we need to address here is the bullpen. Shouse and Spurling aren't going to cut it if we are going to be in a pennant chase. Melvin really needs to step up and make a trade at the deadline and bring in a solid reliever, preferably a left-hander.

I also agree that Bush has pitched decently the past 3-4 weeks, but Vargas continues to struggle with his control later in games and it is costing us big time. I don't mind Gallardo being in the bullpen for now, but he is going to need time to adjust to his role, thus there could be some growing pains.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#13 » by livestrong4ever » Fri Jul 6, 2007 2:46 am

Shouse hasn't giving up any Earned Runs since june fourth if yahoo is right.

He had his bad outings this year but it looks like he has it back.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,455

Post#14 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 6, 2007 5:00 am

livestrong4ever wrote:Shouse hasn't giving up any Earned Runs since june fourth if yahoo is right.

He had his bad outings this year but it looks like he has it back.

Has what back? His 82 MPH fastball never left. I think he throws an eephus pitch but hitters sit on that when he can't rock that 82 MPH fastball over the plate.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#15 » by Buck You » Fri Jul 6, 2007 6:44 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Has what back? His 82 MPH fastball never left. I think he throws an eephus pitch but hitters sit on that when he can't rock that 82 MPH fastball over the plate.

Shouse throws an Eephus? Nah, he can't throw that. The Eephus is very noticeable when it is thrown, high and wobbly, I think it's probably more of a knuckle curve.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers