2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread 

Post#1 » by goober » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:33 pm

This is probably one of my favorite discussions throughout the year. What programs have their head coach on a short leash this season?

For me:
USC, I know they just hired Helton, but I think he's just a placeholder and has already been a bit underwhelming.

Penn State, James Franklin hasn't been terrible but hasn't been good either. Penn State looked a lot better under O'Brian, if they win 7 games once again this season I can see Franklin gone.

who do you guys have?
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Re: 2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread 

Post#2 » by bleu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 pm

I agree with James Franklin, however I think that Clay Helton could win 6 or 7 games and still be given another season to prove what he's got.

A few that I would add:

Gus Malzahn - To be honest, I'd be shocked if he makes it through the season. Auburn fans are increasingly frustrated with him and his system, and in the past 3 years of being the head coach he is 16-13. For a team that won a national title just 6 years ago, that is well below expectations. He may even get canned if they lose to LSU this weekend.

Charlie Strong - Yeah, Texas is in the Top 25 at the moment after jumping 25 spots because of a win over 1-2 Notre Dame then falling to 21 this week. Charlie Strong may have built himself a little bit of a cushion, but he was on a very short leash to start the season, and if he has 8 wins or less, I think he is gone.

Darrell Hazell - I mean, the guys record is 7-31 as the head coach of Purdue. He's won 2 conference games there, now in his fourth season as the HC. How does he still have a job? If that doesn't warrant a spot on the hot seat, I don't know what does.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:21 pm

As far as Penn State goes, Franklin's safe this year at a minimum unless they totally fall apart, like 4 wins. They've invested too much into him and just got full scholarships back this season. Now they lost all 3 starting LBs to injury too. No chance he's let go. I'm not a huge fan of his but he's recruited really well so far and they'll at least give another year or two.

I think Helton's in for something based off a reddit thread...
https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/53ogun/usc_fans_were_in_trouble/

And at some point Les Miles. I don't know why because he's a really good coach IMO, but every year his name pops up despite LSU being very good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: 2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread 

Post#4 » by bleu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 pm

bondom34 wrote:
And at some point Les Miles. I don't know why because he's a really good coach IMO, but every year his name pops up despite LSU being very good.

I've always felt this way. I don't understand the dislike for Les Miles by LSU fans. He's been nothing but good for LSU yet I always see his name on hot seat lists. If he gets fired, he will be picked up instantly by another top tier program, and LSU will likely find a lesser replacement.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:12 pm

bleu wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

I've always felt this way. I don't understand the dislike for Les Miles by LSU fans. He's been nothing but good for LSU yet I always see his name on hot seat lists. If he gets fired, he will be picked up instantly by another top tier program, and LSU will likely find a lesser replacement.

I'd love him at PSU. He's the only reason I kinda root for LSU. He's a good coach and hilarious.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread 

Post#6 » by bleu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:28 pm

bondom34 wrote:
bleu wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

I'd love him at PSU. He's the only reason I kinda root for LSU. He's a good coach and hilarious.

What's funny is that's actually exactly where I was thinking of when I said that. I don't know if they give Franklin the axe or not, but I could see him fitting in there very nicely. Or possibly USC.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016-2017 College Football Hot Seat Thread 

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

bleu wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bleu wrote:

What's funny is that's actually exactly where I was thinking of when I said that. I don't know if they give Franklin the axe or not, but I could see him fitting in there very nicely. Or possibly USC.

I hope not USC, too likeable a guy lol. IIRC he was involved in rumors to Penn St. but I'm forgetting now. This was back in the pre-BOB days I think.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#8 » by Goudelock » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 am

bleu wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

They want to win national titles, and to win those titles, they have to beat Bama. But they can't beat Bama cause they perpetually have crappy QBs (which is mind-numbing considering they recruit just as well as Alabama, so this can probably be blamed on Miles for not developing a good QB since EVER) and stagnant offenses/old-fashioned offenses (which is partially because of said craptastic passers and because they have Leonard Fournette and a great line, so who wouldn't line up in the I-formation and run it with him).

So basically, if their new QB is at least an improvement over Brandon Harris and they can beat Alabama and win the SEC, then Miles' job is safe.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by bleu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:46 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
bleu wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

They want to win national titles, and to win those titles, they have to beat Bama. But they can't beat Bama cause they perpetually have crappy QBs (which is mind-numbing considering they recruit just as well as Alabama, so this can probably be blamed on Miles for not developing a good QB since EVER) and stagnant offenses/old-fashioned offenses (which is partially because of said craptastic passers and because they have Leonard Fournette and a great line, so who wouldn't line up in the I-formation and run it with him).

So basically, if their new QB is at least an improvement over Brandon Harris and they can beat Alabama and win the SEC, then Miles' job is safe.

It has always made me scratch my head to think that a team like LSU couldn't recruit a decent quarterback. With all of the resources and money and potential you have every single year, it shouldn't be hard to attract a solid top 15 quarterback.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,559

Post#10 » by El Turco » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 pm

lsu has been underachieving for years considering how much talent they've had
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#11 » by studcrackers » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Yea I don't get this sentiment Miles should keep his job. He can get any player he wants from Louisiana and consistently lands top 5 classes. The fact that he can churn out so many guys in the NFL and yet still produce a sh*t offense year after year is an indictment on him.

I'm afraid they're gonna get Houstons coach and he'll wreck sh*t for years in the sec west
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,559

Post#12 » by El Turco » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:17 pm

nah herman is coming home after he takes houston to big12
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:02 am

And Franklin wins B1G COY from the media.

goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#14 » by goober » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:18 am

Helfrich fired, wow
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#15 » by studcrackers » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:05 am

what do you mean wow? shouldve happened last year
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#16 » by goober » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:22 am

here's my bold prediction: Ken Niumtalolo will be hired by the Oregon Ducks to be their next head coach
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#17 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 4:31 pm

For Oregon, I think it's PJ Fleck, with Schiano as his AHC/DC (apparently he's only on a one year deal at tOSU, with the co-DC tag, and Fickell is calling the plays).

Also sounds like Tom Herman might be going after tOSU co-OC Tim Beck and former tOSU RB coach Stan Drayton for his staff.

Les Miles apparently interviewing for the job at Houston, along with Kiffin, Applewhite, and Orlando.

Sonny Dykes is apparently Baylor's top candidate. If he leaves Cal, who do they go after to replace him? Taggart? Harsin? (I think CHad Morris passed on the Baylor gig because he wants the A&M gig if Sumlin is let go after next season).

Would also be interesting to see what happens with Brian Kelly at ND. Would he try to bolt for Cal if that opens up?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bleu » Sat Dec 3, 2016 5:50 pm

Goober wrote:here's my bold prediction: Ken Niumtalolo will be hired by the Oregon Ducks to be their next head coach

I can't see it. I have more respect for Ken N than just about any other coach in the business, but I don't think that he fits at Oregon. There's no way that the Oregon fanbase and boosters would be for the triple option offense, and I don't know how he could adjust. I do think he'll end up at the P5 level and be successful there very soon though.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#19 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 12:39 am

bleu wrote:
Goober wrote:here's my bold prediction: Ken Niumtalolo will be hired by the Oregon Ducks to be their next head coach

I can't see it. I have more respect for Ken N than just about any other coach in the business, but I don't think that he fits at Oregon. There's no way that the Oregon fanbase and boosters would be for the triple option offense, and I don't know how he could adjust. I do think he'll end up at the P5 level and be successful there very soon though.

If Utah ever moves on from Whittingham, then I think he would be a good fit there, given what their offense has looked like in the Pac 12 so far. Wouldn't be hard for him to fit it in with the breakdown of their offensive talent.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.

Return to NCAA Football