I would like an 8 team playoff

Moderator: studcrackers

studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 52,207
And1: 6,087
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Location: Getting hit in the head
         

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#41 » by studcrackers » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:40 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
studcrackers wrote:lol at an ohio st fan complaining about a team getting into the playoff because of past success


That is correct. When exactly did Ohio State get into the playoffs based on past success?


seeing how ohio state got in over a penn st team in this exact same situation last year, id say that applies

also you say bama got "spanked" vs auburn, well yall lost by 15 at home for your worst home loss in 18 years. moral of this story is don't lose by 30+ to a team (this applies to both usc and ohio st)
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,600
And1: 4,045
Joined: Jul 06, 2014

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#42 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:52 pm

studcrackers wrote:
OsuCavsfan103 wrote:
studcrackers wrote:lol at an ohio st fan complaining about a team getting into the playoff because of past success


That is correct. When exactly did Ohio State get into the playoffs based on past success?


seeing how ohio state got in over a penn st team in this exact same situation last year, id say that applies

also you say bama got "spanked" vs auburn, well yall lost by 15 at home for your worst home loss in 18 years. moral of this story is don't lose by 30+ to a team (this applies to both usc and ohio st)


Exact same situation huh? Take a look at Ohio State's resume last year vs Bama's this year. Ohio State's wins were far far better, our only loss last year was better. PSU beat us because a FG that was going to put them away got blocked and luckily bounced right into their players hands. Bama this year was dominated most all the game. OSU lost early in the year and had time to come back up and were already in top 4 at end before conference titles, Bama lost in their last game and moved into the playoffs while not playing.

Ohio State didn't deserve a playoff spot, but certainly deserved one more than Alabama. Bama's best win was against a 3 loss LSU team who lost to freakin Troy, they played 2 less conference games than OSU and USC overall.

Basically what the committee just said is that no need to play anyone OOC, no need to get any quality wins, no need to play for your conference, all you have to do is beat a few middle of the road barely ranked teams and only lose once. Oh and most importantly be Alabama.

Yeah, there is definitely a need to go to 8 teams
User avatar
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 1,639
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Contact:
       

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:06 pm

Until this current contract runs out... in 24/25... it ain't changing. Because the WWL isn't complaining. And they are the ones driving this bus. Make no mistake.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 56,004
And1: 30,581
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#44 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Such a joke of a sport. They are like decades behind the times and clueless when it comes to making the sport more entertaining and keeping more fans vested in the entire season.
User avatar
rickyt31
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 188
Joined: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Atlanta, GA
     

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#45 » by rickyt31 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:46 pm

I would like to see conference winners make it. it would put more attention on all the conference championship games and create more opportunities for major upsets leading to the big game.
Image
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,842
And1: 9,270
Joined: Jun 25, 2002
Location: Seattle Area
       

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#46 » by Bulltalk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:49 pm

I've kind of a thought an 8 team playoff would fit the bill. If I was king, I'd probably have the 5 major conference winners make it, have 1 team from the remaining conferences make it, and then 2 wild card teams. Then seed them 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, and make them the 7 biggest bowl games. This would make winning your conference meaningful, give the other conferences a chance to place a team, and give the the remaining two best teams a way in. But this would be the absolute limit.

I read an article by Phil Steele, and he made a good case that the 4 team playoff is all we need to determine a true national champion. Gave me pause.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
User avatar
Los Soles
Starter
Posts: 2,042
And1: 493
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Location: الوطن العربي
   

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#47 » by Los Soles » Sun Dec 2, 2018 7:37 pm

  1. Bama*
  2. Clemson*
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma*
  5. Georgia
  6. Ohio State*
  7. UCF**
  8. Washington*
* auto for Power 5 conference champion
** auto for best Group of 5 conference champion & high enough ranking (top 12?)

Elite Eight — December 15
Final Four — December 29
Championship — January 7

Notre Dame vs Ohio State is juicy. As is Oklahoma vs Georgia. Not sure what the big drawback is...
User avatar
Los Soles
Starter
Posts: 2,042
And1: 493
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Location: الوطن العربي
   

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#48 » by Los Soles » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 am

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format

Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic reported Wednesday that CFP expansion has received a "groundswell of support" with hopes the change can happen before the current contract with ESPN, the event's broadcast partner, expires in 2026.

"It's an appropriate thing to begin thinking about," Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby told Auerbach.
QBEagles_00
Ballboy
Posts: 8
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 18, 2018
     

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#49 » by QBEagles_00 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:30 pm

I agree with the college football playoff committee, expanding the field to eight teams; Power 5 conferences get an auto bid, the highest ranking group of 5 team, and two at-large teams.
User avatar
Bango
Freshman
Posts: 64
And1: 16
Joined: Jul 12, 2013
   

Re: I would like an 8 team playoff 

Post#50 » by Bango » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Until this current contract runs out... in 24/25... it ain't changing. Because the WWL isn't complaining. And they are the ones driving this bus. Make no mistake.



All is true, but they also wouldn't mind buttering their bread with some more games to be played.
"Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass."—George Raveling

Return to NCAA Football