Week 8 Game Threads: ALL SATURDAY GAMES HERE

Moderator: studcrackers

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Re: Week 8 Game Threads: ALL SATURDAY GAMES HERE 

Post#61 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:54 am

Alright Lions, good half. I was hoping they'd hang w/ OSU for the first half so I'm happy.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,975

Post#62 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:02 am

bleu wrote:Holy ****, Houston getting killed by SMU? Can't say I saw that one coming!

My wife works with Justin Lawler's mom. Needless to say I'm pulling for him. And needless to say - after that sack of Ward on 4th down we both went a little nuts here.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#63 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:05 am

the local bar i goto is a f*ckin sooner bar. i might go there for the 2nd half to hopefully revel in their misery
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:07 am

well damn tech, you get the lead and give up a td less than 20 seconds later
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#65 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:09 am

bondom34 wrote:Alright Lions, good half. I was hoping they'd hang w/ OSU for the first half so I'm happy.

I was already thinking of it...if Penn St somehow pulled off the upset, but then OSU ends up beating Michigan, and they both end the season with 1 loss, if only one makes the playoffs, who deserves it?

This argument existed with TCU and Baylor a few seasons ago, but neither made.

But, ignoring the fact that one of the two teams ended up winning the conference championship, which might decide it (thought that situation has actually played out before and the team that didn't win the championship got in instead), WHO is more deserving of getting in?

A team that lost to Penn St on the road, or a team that lost to Ohio St on the road? Now many would argue that since Ohio St beat Michigan h2h, they should get in. But being that this is such a subjective process, and good losses are better than worse losses, shouldn't Michigan get in? Particularly since the h2h matchup was played AT Ohio St?

Just another reason why I'm in favor of more teams making the playoffs.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#66 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:12 am

i guess im the only one who wouldnt wanna see more than 6 teams in the playoff.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:30 am

studcrackers wrote:i guess im the only one who wouldnt wanna see more than 6 teams in the playoff.

I could be convinced to go 8. But that's all. I like the idea of 6.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:30 am

PSU
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:32 am

Leonard Fournette.
7 carries. 249 yards.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#70 » by Latrell » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:33 am

Ohio State in trouble!
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Latrell » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 am

Penn State win.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 am

Pretty good night of football. And still OU and TTU play on.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#73 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 am

Now things get interesting.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:49 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
studcrackers wrote:i guess im the only one who wouldnt wanna see more than 6 teams in the playoff.

Why the limits? I guess I can see people liking it if they are a fan of a powerhouse, but for the vast majority of fans, they lose interest, because halfway through the season what are you even playing for?

I think 12 would be good, with 4 bye teams and then 5 vs 12, etc, and then it moves on.

If you are a die hard sports and football fan, why would you NOT want more win move on, lose go home playoff games? I guess I don't understand.

I advocate for 16, but 12 might be good to reward top 4, though since it's all subjective, that would still create another controversy of who gets they byes on top of who gets in.

With 16, you don't have that.

What is the downside with more? You still need to be a damn good team to get in, even if it was 16. If you were not, you'd get killed by the top seed in the first game.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Latrell » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:26 am

Next week's Nebraska/Wisconsin game is huge.

Wisconsin the best 2 loss team in the country in my opinion.

And Nebraska if they win could still absorb a loss to Ohio State the following and still be very much alive for a playoff spot.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#76 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Why the limits? I guess I can see people liking it if they are a fan of a powerhouse, but for the vast majority of fans, they lose interest, because halfway through the season what are you even playing for?

I think 12 would be good, with 4 bye teams and then 5 vs 12, etc, and then it moves on.

If you are a die hard sports and football fan, why would you NOT want more win move on, lose go home playoff games? I guess I don't understand.

I advocate for 16, but 12 might be good to reward top 4, though since it's all subjective, that would still create another controversy of who gets they byes on top of who gets in.

What is the downside with more? You still need to be a damn good team to get in, even if it was 16. If you were not, you'd get killed by the top seed in the first game.

well, take alabama for example. if they wind up in the title game they'll have played 15 games, which seems pretty out there for college kids imo. plus imo in only the rarest of years are there more than 4-6 teams that can claim they're national title contenders. most years i dont even think it's that. and if you decide to expand to 16, then imo you do have to start cutting games from the regular season, which will probably start pissing off the lesser to mediocre schools in the conference since they'll miss out on an extra game check or 2 in the year all for the sake of this 16 team playoff you're proposing. unless of course, college football (which supposedly promotes amateurism) wants a larger schedule than the nfl

more football is cool, but i dont think it's worth it for these kids, especially if they arent gonna be compensated fairly for it
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:22 am

studcrackers wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

well, take alabama for example. if they wind up in the title game they'll have played 15 games, which seems pretty out there for college kids imo. plus imo in only the rarest of years are there more than 4-6 teams that can claim they're national title contenders. most years i dont even think it's that. and if you decide to expand to 16, then imo you do have to start cutting games from the regular season, which will probably start pissing off the lesser to mediocre schools in the conference since they'll miss out on an extra game check or 2 in the year all for the sake of this 16 team playoff you're proposing. unless of course, college football (which supposedly promotes amateurism) wants a larger schedule than the nfl

more football is cool, but i dont think it's worth it for these kids, especially if they arent gonna be compensated fairly for it

That's why I think 12 is a good idea. Then the best teams only have to play 3 while anyone else plays 4. It's not more than the NFL which they should be getting ready for...at least the best teams' players. Six would an improvement. Maybe even cut out the meaningless non conference cake games to start the season if the "too many games" is the issue.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:19 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sleeping tonight, was gonna work overtime tomorrow but F it, WE ARE!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:04 am

Read on Twitter

I'm going to the Iowa game in 2 weeks and can't wait!
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#80 » by El Turco » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Alright Lions, good half. I was hoping they'd hang w/ OSU for the first half so I'm happy.

I was already thinking of it...if Penn St somehow pulled off the upset, but then OSU ends up beating Michigan, and they both end the season with 1 loss, if only one makes the playoffs, who deserves it?

This argument existed with TCU and Baylor a few seasons ago, but neither made.

But, ignoring the fact that one of the two teams ended up winning the conference championship, which might decide it (thought that situation has actually played out before and the team that didn't win the championship got in instead), WHO is more deserving of getting in?

A team that lost to Penn St on the road, or a team that lost to Ohio St on the road? Now many would argue that since Ohio St beat Michigan h2h, they should get in. But being that this is such a subjective process, and good losses are better than worse losses, shouldn't Michigan get in? Particularly since the h2h matchup was played AT Ohio St?

Just another reason why I'm in favor of more teams making the playoffs.

h2h definitely carries more weight, not only it is a better gauge but also michigan-osu is the last game of the regular season which traditionally has bigger impact on the polls than earlier games. loser also misses out on the conference title game which generally means doom unless you are alabama. anything can happen in away conference games, penn st very likely to finish the season ranked even possibly with only two losses so this is not a bad loss at all.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.

Return to NCAA Football