Week 10 Game Discussion

Moderator: studcrackers

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: Week 10 Game Discussion 

Post#81 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Nov 8, 2016 6:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Arda K wrote:washington barely handled utah, at this point i am not sure they could beat boise let alone osu

It's likely they lose to Michigan & it won't even matter.

The more pertinent question is if tOSU can beat Colorado.

In the Rose Bowl. Maybe.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#82 » by El Turco » Tue Nov 8, 2016 7:01 pm

bleu wrote:
Arda K wrote:washington barely handled utah, at this point i am not sure they could beat boise let alone osu

"OSU barely handled Northwestern..."

Dumb argument. They won, and Utah is actually a very solid team who is VERY close to being undefeated. Say what you want about their strength of schedule, Washington has won every game that they've played, and looked very solid doing it. They beat Oregon, Cal, and Stanford by a combined score of 180-54. Those aren't bad teams either, they just looked like it against Washington.

difference is osu already proven they can dominate very good teams. that's the problem with washington, unlike all the other teams in top 6 there is no point of reference for them, there is not a single week where they proved themselves as one of the top 4 teams in the country. only chance they had they didnt look very impressive.

and no, this is not 2013, stanford oregon and cal are garbage. oregon and cal dont even have a winning record.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#83 » by Wannabe MEP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 am

Arda K wrote:difference is osu already proven they can dominate very good teams. that's the problem with washington, unlike all the other teams in top 6 there is no point of reference for them

Based on the small sample size that we have, I think it's pretty fair to put Washington and Ohio State on pretty much even ground, with Washington ahead one spot. Washington has played a softer schedule - no arguing that - so if the records matched, Ohio State would be justly ranked higher. Since the records don't match...seems like a bit of a stretch to have OSU leapfrog UW.

[I like using the computer rankings for reference, but Arda seems particularly anti-Sagarin, so I'll use Massey, which seems to map a little closer to voters' rankings.]

vs teams outside Massey top-20
Washington: 7-0 . . . 6 dominant, 1 close
Ohio State: 6-0 . . . 5 dominant, 1 close

vs teams in Massey top-20
Washington: 2-0 . . . 1 dominant, 1 close win
Ohio State: 2-1 . . . 1 dominant, 1 close win, 1 loss

I don't think it's much of a leap in logic to think that Washington would be either 2-1 or 3-0 against the Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Penn State slate, and then 6-0 vs the rest of OSU's schedule.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#84 » by El Turco » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm

i dont see washington coming close to wisconsin or oklahoma on the road but nobody knows, and that's the problem. we dont have anything to determine the quality of washington since they pussied out out of conference and play in a conference that resembles mountain west.

also according to massey western michigan is the 10th best team in the country and better than all but one pac 12 team.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Wannabe MEP
Analyst
And1: 1,786

Post#85 » by Wannabe MEP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Arda K wrote:also according to massey western michigan is the 10th best team in the country and better than all but one pac 12 team.

No, Massey has W. Mich. at #17, behind 5 Pac-12 schools.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#86 » by bleu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:10 am

Arda K wrote:i dont see washington coming close to wisconsin or oklahoma on the road but nobody knows, and that's the problem. we dont have anything to determine the quality of washington since they pussied out out of conference and play in a conference that resembles mountain west.

also according to massey western michigan is the 10th best team in the country and better than all but one pac 12 team.

The biggest problem here is that you are severely underrating the Pac 12. On par with the Mountain West? Yyyyyyyeeeeah, don't make me laugh. Again, and I know that this is kind of hard to comprehend, but just because the teams that typically dominate the conference like Oregon and USC are somewhat down this year, doesn't mean the whole conference is weak. Other teams like Washington, Utah, and Colorado have stepped up big time.

I'm not saying that the Pac 12 is as good as the B1G or SEC. But the difference isn't nearly as large as you think, especially between top teams.

Return to NCAA Football