Conference Re-alignment 2021 version

Moderator: studcrackers

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Conference Re-alignment 2021 version 

Post#1 » by hermes » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 pm

so texas and oklahoma are exploring a move to the sec, which could spark another re-alignment arms race
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-powers-texas-oklahoma-inquire-about-joining-sec-in-potentially-massive-realignment-shakeup/

as we trend toward a super conference, here is my idea for going all the way toward it. super conference, with relegation like in soccer
can have three levels: super league (blue bloods), second tier (rest of power 5), third tier (group of 5)
maybe something like this:
tier 1:
super blue blood league (13 teams)
round robin schedule, play everyone 12 games
crown the first place team the champ (playoff game to break a tie, if needed)
or have a four-team playoff if you want
bottom four are relegated each year

tier 2:
four conferences (13 teams each)
round robin schedule, play everyone 12 games
each conference champ gets bumped up to the super league the next year
can figure out some kind of tie-breaker or play-in championship game to determine champ
*note this will include all 65 power 5 teams, and assumes notre dame will play ball and join
only issue is figuring out who the fifth team to do down to tier 3 is (last place team will all go). maybe a playoff of all the second-worst teams?

tier 3:
if you rope in all the independents (army, byu, liberty, new mexico state, uconn, and umass) you'll have 65 times and can do an easy five 13-team conferences, that way you can continue with the 12 game round robin schedule so everyone plays everyone else
conference champs all go up to tier 2

not sure how to decide which conference each team that moves a level ends up in, geographically for travel reasons? random draw?
can still have bowl games if you want, although they've lost a lot of luster but that might come back especially if you don't go the playoff route with the super league

i don't follow soccer, so i don't know how exciting the prospect of relegation makes the season but it seems like it could add some juice to the regular season

Return to NCAA Football