The NIL

Moderator: studcrackers

sundevil1999
Freshman
And1: 74

The NIL 

Post#1 » by sundevil1999 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:50 am

Wow. Not too many posts on the college football forum. Don't know if this will be seen for months, but whatever.

Just speculating, will teams in the SEC, primarily Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, and Arkansas lose status and glory due to the NIL? Will schools like TAMU and Florida see mass improvements in recruiting and overall success? Will the SEC lose control over the the number one conference in the nation?

I ask because, just listening to Saban and Jimbo going at it, it seems that Saban is really worried about the NIL hurting his recruiting in the state of Alabama. While Texas has more wealth and wealthy boosters, how will that negativity effect the schools of the SEC that are not as wealthy.

I am a fan of Arizona State. We are doomed by the NIL, but also our admin for not having the forethought on how to prepare for it. USC offered six figures to our outstanding freshman linebacker, and voila he transferred. They just reportedly gave 3 Mill to Addison from Pittsburgh. How can we ever compete with that? We will be lucky to go to a bowl game every 5 years. Oregon and USC will be the cream of the crop with a little UCLA in there.

At this point in time, I am not a big fan of the nil and its current form. I don't mind giving the players a bit of cash, benefits. But I don't think it should be allowed as a recruiting tool. There is no equal footing with that. Wins don't matter success doesn't matter as much as the financial payout. I think that's poor look for college athletics. Someone Change my mind
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Re: The NIL 

Post#2 » by hermes » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:34 pm

sundevil1999 wrote:Wow. Not too many posts on the college football forum. Don't know if this will be seen for months, but whatever.

Just speculating, will teams in the SEC, primarily Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, and Arkansas lose status and glory due to the NIL? Will schools like TAMU and Florida see mass improvements in recruiting and overall success? Will the SEC lose control over the the number one conference in the nation?

I ask because, just listening to Saban and Jimbo going at it, it seems that Saban is really worried about the NIL hurting his recruiting in the state of Alabama. While Texas has more wealth and wealthy boosters, how will that negativity effect the schools of the SEC that are not as wealthy.

I am a fan of Arizona State. We are doomed by the NIL, but also our admin for not having the forethought on how to prepare for it. USC offered six figures to our outstanding freshman linebacker, and voila he transferred. They just reportedly gave 3 Mill to Addison from Pittsburgh. How can we ever compete with that? We will be lucky to go to a bowl game every 5 years. Oregon and USC will be the cream of the crop with a little UCLA in there.

At this point in time, I am not a big fan of the nil and its current form. I don't mind giving the players a bit of cash, benefits. But I don't think it should be allowed as a recruiting tool. There is no equal footing with that. Wins don't matter success doesn't matter as much as the financial payout. I think that's poor look for college athletics. Someone Change my mind

it will be the wild west for a while. if the ncaa doesn't put some rudimentary rules in place things could get really out of hand. in a way things will still be largely the same, only a small number of teams able to compete for a title - but likely to be a slightly different group based on who is willing to throw money around instead of tradition/local talent base being big factors (still likely to be factors but not as relevant, especially for the really good players)

i don't expect any rules to completely level the playing field, the toothpaste is out of the tube to a certain extent, and there has always been a strong tradition of bending the rules in this sport, but it would at least give the impression that things are more fair (or as fair as they appeared to be on the surface if you didn't look closely before nil started)

Return to NCAA Football