Moderator: studcrackers

FlightNo.23
Senior
And1: 0

'Official' Spring Games Thread 

Post#1 » by FlightNo.23 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:42 am

Anyone catch Oklahoma's Spring Game?

DeMarco Murray = Reggie Bush 2.0 :winkgrin:

He has something like 300 yards rushing on less than 30 carries in the spring game and 2 scrimmages.

Also, it is interesting that Oklahoma has such early Spring practices = more rehab time in case of spring injuries (i.e. Malcolm Kelly).

Edit:
Look at what I just got :winkgrin:
stitched and in size XL Nikes
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:48 am

Well, the ND thread only really showed that they are going to really emphasize the run, and that Lou Holtz still has the same energy on the sideline he always used to :lol:. Other than that, all the reports of Junior Jabbie earning playing time is really quite false as he ran against the 2nd team defense, and showed that he may get some carries here and there to spell the starters, but really is probably the 3rd back.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Michigan State has got some serious beef up front--11 guys who top 300lbs, and a lot of them are pretty athletic. They are switching from the shotgun-spread to a 3WR, I-Form offense and it's going to take some time. The secondary looked very good, significantly better than the WRs. New QB Hoyer has got a rifle arm but he has got to learn to look off the safety.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Michigan should be a top-3 team, but already the injuries are tangibly hurting them. #2 RB Kevin Grady tore his ACL and is almost certainly going to redshirt. #1 WR Mario Manningham is still visibly slower and lacks confidence in his ankle, probably won't be cleared for full-speed or contact workouts until August. Mike Hart hasn't participated in Spring football. Stud T Jake Long is not doing any contact drills and probably won't until a week or two before their opener. #2 WR Adrian Arrington is gone--he threw his girlfriend out of a moving car while he was drunk driving.

If all of those guys are 100% then Michigan has the best offense in the country, because all of those guys are 1st day draftees (along with QB Henne and G/C Boren), most of them legit 1st round candidates. But a lot of those injuries are a lot more serious than what UofM would lead you to believe.

Despite all that, the spring game was something like 42-40 and Lloyd Carr was supposedly ready to allow the defenses 12 guys just so the punters could get some work. The word I got is that their defensive line is undersized and lacks strength, and their corners wouldn't start in the MAC.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#5 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:25 am

Icness wrote:Michigan should be a top-3 team, but already the injuries are tangibly hurting them. #2 RB Kevin Grady tore his ACL and is almost certainly going to redshirt. #1 WR Mario Manningham is still visibly slower and lacks confidence in his ankle, probably won't be cleared for full-speed or contact workouts until August. Mike Hart hasn't participated in Spring football. Stud T Jake Long is not doing any contact drills and probably won't until a week or two before their opener. #2 WR Adrian Arrington is gone--he threw his girlfriend out of a moving car while he was drunk driving.

If all of those guys are 100% then Michigan has the best offense in the country, because all of those guys are 1st day draftees (along with QB Henne and G/C Boren), most of them legit 1st round candidates. But a lot of those injuries are a lot more serious than what UofM would lead you to believe.

Despite all that, the spring game was something like 42-40 and Lloyd Carr was supposedly ready to allow the defenses 12 guys just so the punters could get some work. The word I got is that their defensive line is undersized and lacks strength, and their corners wouldn't start in the MAC.

This is just making me salivate for Oregon-Michigan next year.

And I remember seeing Arrington's dismissal, but I never officially heard why. That's borderline comical.

I hope someone reports on USC's spring game...I can only IMAGINE...
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#6 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:20 am

Oregon's spring game was today, and three players stood out to me enough to write about them:

Jonathan Stewart: can you FEEEEEEEEEL it. This may well be his breakout season, and it's not hard to understand why. He was quick to change direction. He did not shy away from contact. He showed the drive he's always had. We at Oregon will look for big things from J-Stew, and he'll find a way to live up to them.

Brandon Bair: a second-string defensive end at this point, but he is huge and he is physical. Listed at 6-7, 250, and is likely to see a ton of playing time on the Ducks' depleted D-line. Looked like he was out to prove something today...definitely a positive day.

Will Tukuafu: JC transfer who is likely to start at DE opposite Nick Reed. Supposedly has had a monster spring and looked physically imposing out there today. Didn't produce much, but the raw appeal is definitely there.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to NCAA Football