ImageImageImageImageImage

Giants Minor League updates

edney2polynice_
Senior
And1: 0

Giants Minor League updates 

Post#1 » by edney2polynice_ » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:53 pm

Hitters:

Nate Schierholtz - Our top hitting prospect: 55 ABs, .291 BA, .316 OBP, # HR, 11 RBIs

Dan Ortmeir - He seems to be on track with most of our prospects: Rakes minor league pitching, but wiffs at MLB pitching. He's a AAAA-type players IMO: 54 ABs, .315 BA, .371 OBP, 2 HRs, 13 RBIs.

Kevin Fradsen - I'd rather him be up in the MLB rather than watching Feliz ground into a inning-ending DP: 36 ABs, .361 BA, .410 OBP.

Pitchers:

Travis Blackely (Pitcher we got back in the Ellison trade): 13 IP, 4.85 ERA, 12 Ks, 5 BBs, 1.08 WHIP

Brian Wilson is still struggling with his control: 11 Ks, 8 BBs, 2.45 ERA.

Jessie Foppert is in extended spring training healing his injuries.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#2 » by opzoneworld » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Great list Edney. Thanks for the stats. I was planning on doing the same thing at the end of each month updating stats.

Frandsen should be up and playing right now. Problem is, they really do not have a spot for him. Durham has look really good at second and is one of the few Giants who are hitting early on. I do not believe he has the arm to play third. The only spot that would leave is SS and there is no way the Giants would bench Visquel. I would rather have him getting AB's at AAA than no PT at all, which he was getting in SF.

For Blackely, I honestly do not know much about him to comment. More K's than BB's is always a plus and the WHIP isn't too bad but I really don't know. Maybe one of those September tryouts for him?

Wilson is really frustrating for me personally. He seems to have great stuff and one night he looks unhitable while the next he can't get it over the plate. Cant tell if it is something in his motion or in his head or what. I still feel that if he can keep his S to BS ratio 3:1, the Giants will look to see if they can get anything for Benitiz and give Wilson a second half tryout for 2008.

Because of injury, Foppert probably has no chance with the big club in 2007, possibly ever again. A sad, sad story there as he looked to have a lot of promise.

Schierholtz and Ortmeir are both off to great starts. Then again, they should be. To this point, they have been professional AAA players. They come up to the big club and they simply cannot produce. Unless a miracle happens, there are only 3 players in AAA and AA that have a shot at the big club: Lincecum, Frandsen, Wilson. There is really nobody else in the high levels worth anything sad to say. Exactly what is going to make any trades so hard for the Giants, we have no prospects. Our top tallent is High-A and Low-A. How long they will take is anyones guess. If history is anything for Giants fans, they will go from top prospect to duds and that is something we should all let management know we wont accept.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#3 » by Hopper15 » Mon May 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Burris is really biting it right now. I don't think he's even hitting his weight. He is swiping bags at a good rate, but I would've hoped for more at A-Ball level. Hopefully, it's just a slow start and he can get going real soon.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#4 » by opzoneworld » Mon May 14, 2007 7:30 pm

According to team reports, they are trying to change his swing. They are trying to make him a "line-drive" hitter instead of a "full-swinger". More or less, they want him to slap the ball around and find gaps in the infield to get on base and use his speed.

This could be good and bad. They tried the same approach with Fred Lewis and Marcus Saunders. That really set back both players. If Burris can master it however, he could easily bat around .350 with his spead and challange the SB record someday.

In any case, that is a big reason why he has been struggling so much at the plate. It looks more and more like Frandsen could replace Omar at SS next year; then move over and replace 2B Durham when his contract expires the year after and Buriss would come up to SS. He does need to pick it up though.
backer55
Senior
And1: 1

Post#5 » by backer55 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 pm

This is all really good stuff guys. love to hear it, keep it comming. Thanks!!
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#6 » by opzoneworld » Tue May 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Another guy who should get some mention here is Benjamin Snyder, the Giants 4th roud pick in last years draft. The 21 years old left-hander from Ball St. has great numbers for Low-A Augusta.

8 Games, 5 Starts, 38 IP, 8 BB, 43 SO, 3-1, 1.18 ERA.

Will be interesting to see if he gets a mid-season callup to High-A San Jose or even AA Conn. Way to go kid.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#7 » by Hopper15 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Interesting point about changing his swing. Yeah, hopefully he doesn't take the Marcus Sanders route. :nonono:
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#8 » by opzoneworld » Mon May 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Bad news for Burris. He just got demoted from High-A San Jose to Low-A Augusta. For someone the Giants said they could "fast-track" to the bigs, this does not look good. They sent Brian Bocock up, a middle first-day pick in last years draft, who was hitting really well for Augusta and sent Burris down to take his place.

Here we go again... :banghead:
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#9 » by yehyeh82 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:13 pm

I really like Bocock...
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#10 » by opzoneworld » Sat Jun 9, 2007 5:04 pm

Perhaps we could get this thread stickied? It would be enjoyable to have everyone be able to post updates throughout the season.

Anyways, a few updates on our kids.

* It is interesting to see Burriss get his bat back with Augusta. Can't say for sure what happened in San Jose but whatever it was the coaching staff in Augusta seems to have worked it out. If he can keep this up, I would love to see him play along side Bocock in San Jose sometime this season.
    .392AVE, 15R, 12SB, .432OBP

* The Giants are in dire need of a closer. Though they are probably a couple years away, the Giants look to have two very good closers in their system. They are both amoung the league leaders in saves this season in their respective leagues. Both may get a promotion before the season is over.
    Taylor Wilding, 22 years old, San Jose.
    .72ERA, 10SV, 46SO, 10BB, 37.1IP.

Juan Trinidad, 21 years old, Augusta.
    1.56ERA, 12SV, 19SO, 6BB, 17.1IP

* Brett Pill is quietly having a very good season in Augusta. The 22 year old 1B is leading all Giants prospects with 37RBI. At 6'4 and 200lbs, he will still be growing into his frame and could really develope into a nice power bat for the Giants. His average is somewhat low right now but he is proving to be an RBI machine. Lets really hope this kid can develope.
    .261AVE, 6HR, 37RBI, 202B, .398SLG.

* As we enter into trade season in MLB, a few prospects whom the Giants may consider dealing.
    Adam Cowart, P, 23, Augusta, 8-3 1.96ERA.
    Kevin Pucetas, P, 22, Augusta, 7-1 1.55ERA.
    Dave McKae, P, 25, Conn, 6-1 1.74ERA. (Could have very good value.)
    John Bowker, OF, 23, Conn, .274AVE 7HR 28RBI.
    Jonathan Sanchez, SP, SF
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#11 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 6:26 pm

Jonathan Sanchez has 50 times more trade value than some of those guys.

Brett Pill is having a quietly good year? .261/.327/.398
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#12 » by edney2polynice_ » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:15 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Jonathan Sanchez has 50 times more trade value than some of those guys.

Brett Pill is having a quietly good year? .261/.327/.398

The OBP is nice, along with the RBI's.

I wonder how he's getting the RBI's? As in, are they Feliz-type RBI's, AKA empty/meaningless RBI's.

What's his RISP and strikeout ratio?
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#13 » by FaTaL » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 am

sanchez better not be going anywhere
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#14 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:01 pm

edney2polynice_ wrote:The OBP is nice, along with the RBI's.

A .327 OBP in low A ball is nice? Looks like someone knows his OBP :rofl:

I wonder how he's getting the RBI's? As in, are they Feliz-type RBI's, AKA empty/meaningless RBI's.

Who cares? RBI's are not an indicator of how good the hitter is. AVG/OBP/SLG batting line is how you judge hitters.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#15 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:11 pm

FaTaL wrote:sanchez better not be going anywhere

I don't think he's going anywhere with this recent slide.

I could see a move in the offseason though. Outside of Cain and Lincecum, he's the Giants top trading piece.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#16 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:57 am

Hope for Marcus Sanders after all?

After struggling at the plate and injuries in San Jose last year, he's back in A- Augusta and hitting .287/.401/.395. Not much power but I like his walk rates and he's stealing bases at a very good clip(17 of 20). He could get promoted to SJ soon.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#17 » by opzoneworld » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:15 am

Here is an update for Agusta and a well deserved one at that. Augusta has 5 players named for the All-Star team, and you guessed it, all 5 are pitchers. Why did we draft pitching again? Anyways, back on point. Well done to you five fine pitchers.

Quoted from scout.com,
"Henry Sosa, the league
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#18 » by opzoneworld » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:06 pm

To add to my report directly above, here is a bit more on our fab prospect Henry Sosa. Baseball America every week or two ranks the hottest prospects in the minor leagues overall. In their latest ranking, dating June 11th, here is where Henry Sosa stands.

Quoted from Baseball America,
"1. Henry Sosa, rhp, low Class A Augusta (Giants)

For most pitchers Henry Sosa's last three starts would be outstanding: 3-0, 1.12 with 20 strikeouts in 16 innings piched. But for Sosa they're actually below average. Sosa saw his ERA climb to a still microscopic 0.76 easily the best in the minors.

Sosa's season is nearly incomprehensible. He's not allowed two earned runs in any of his 12 outings and he's not allowed any earned run in seven outings. Righthanders are hitting .109 against him this year. And his stuff is legit: he has a 94-95 mph fastball that has touched 98 this season to go with an improving curveball.

Add it all up, and you've got an easy choice for the pole position on this week's Hot Sheet."

Baseball America has him as the hottest prospect in all of baseball right now. Nice job kid.

Another guy who should get some mention is Ben Copeland. He was on fire to start the season, possibly San Jose's best player overall. Then he went down with an injury and missed the entire month of May. Since he has come off the DL, he has reached base safely in every game going .333 in that stretch. Well done. Not too much pop in his bat but he looks to be a very consistent hitter. Someone to watch.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#19 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:01 am

Nice thread, guys. I'll be sure to check in and post often.

I'm currently working as an intern with the Salem-Keizer (Ore.) Volcanoes, the Giants' A-ball short-season affiliate team. I also work as a beat writer covering them. If I have something noteworthy (and/or wanna promote myself through articles I write), I'll be sure to share it in this thread.

The Volcanoes are expecting Jackson Williams, Daniel Turpen, and Joe Paterson to sign with them before too long. Their season has already started, and they're 2-0.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#20 » by opzoneworld » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:24 am

I will be watching it closely Philip. I would be honored if you could keep us all informed. I am sure you will have a lot of inside information for us. Welcome and thank you.

Return to San Francisco Giants