ImageImageImage

Falcons draft Desmond Trufant

Moderator: HMFFL

tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Falcons draft Desmond Trufant 

Post#1 » by tcorbin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 am

I was hoping Jarvis Jones would fall to the late teens or early twenties and the birds could grab him, but oh well. Trufant is still a great pick up, Alec Ogletree would have also been a good pick.

I hope the Falcons can get one of the following players in the second round, in this order:

1. Damontre Moore
2. Cornellius Carradine
3. Sam Montgomery

........ but i have a feeling that Dimitroff will go after Zach Ertz if he is still around in the 2nd.

Jamie Collins would be a good pick up in the 3rd, but on the very slim chance, how about Geno Smith if he falls to the 3rd :)
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Falcons draft Desmond Trufant 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Love the Alford pick in the 2nd round too. The kid is good and was suppose to be a late 1st, I guess playing at such a small school hurt his stock. He'll really help this pathetic return game we have and he can intercept the ball. TD took the best player available and I don't mind that it's another corner because Asante is also getting up there in age
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#3 » by tcorbin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I wanted to get a pass rusher in the 2nd round, but oh well, another CB.

Their are few DE left, only a couple of small school guys like Armonty Bryant, David Bass, Quanterus Smith

Barrett Jones, Jesse Williams, and Cornelius Washington might be available in the 4th round. Jesse Williams would be a great value pick if he is still available, but i think i would go with Barrett Jones in the 4th if he is still around.

I really hope Joseph Fauria is still around in the 5th, i'm a huge fan of the guy, he could be a good value pick for TE, he is not fast, but he is big and probably has the best hands of any TE in the draft.

Travis Johnson from San Jose St., would also be my pick if he is available in the 6ht or 7th round. he is an undersize, overachieving pass rusher, with just a huge motor and high character.
daniels81v
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by daniels81v » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:51 am

YEA THEY DO! all the teams in the nfl have a better team. even the "so called" lowest jags, probably have a better team than we do
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 2, 2014 6:11 pm

Hindsight being 20/20 Trufant and Alford were great picks, each were thrown into the fire during their rookie season but they're better for it. The corner back position is solidified for us moving forward, even if we cut Asante.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 6, 2014 7:42 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Hindsight being 20/20 Trufant and Alford were great picks, each were thrown into the fire during their rookie season but they're better for it. The corner back position is solidified for us moving forward, even if we cut Asante.

As always, love the optimism, Adnin.

Yeah, CB seems to be covered for the forseeable future. I'd have been okay with drafting LB Ogletree from UGA or RB Eddie Lacy from Alabama because they would have been able to make a more immediate impact, but Trufant and Alford both look solid. Had we not jettisoned our vets (Abraham, McClure) we could have made a real run at the 6th seed. Too bad our division is like the most competitive evry year. If we were in the NFC East we'd be like the Pats and win the division every single year.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:46 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Hindsight being 20/20 Trufant and Alford were great picks, each were thrown into the fire during their rookie season but they're better for it. The corner back position is solidified for us moving forward, even if we cut Asante.

As always, love the optimism, Adnin.

Yeah, CB seems to be covered for the forseeable future. I'd have been okay with drafting LB Ogletree from UGA or RB Eddie Lacy from Alabama because they would have been able to make a more immediate impact, but Trufant and Alford both look solid. Had we not jettisoned our vets (Abraham, McClure) we could have made a real run at the 6th seed. Too bad our division is like the most competitive evry year. If we were in the NFC East we'd be like the Pats and win the division every single year.

Agreed, I liked the Trufant pick from the start but felt that the Packers really got a steal with Lacy. Had he fallen to us (and he almost did) I don't think we would've hesitated in taking him.

Abraham ended up being a pro bowler again this year and had a great season at DE and OLB which we could've really used, losing Mcclure who was our only good Center (which was revealed this season through awful play at that position), and the leader of our O-Line was massive. We lost a staggering 8 (EIGHT!) games by one possession this season (including our first four loses total), and there's no doubt in my mind that the vets would've made a difference in those games and would've helped us at least compete for the last wildcard spot (although I don't know if we would've been able to get it seeing as how the 10 win Cards couldn't get in).

The silver lining, however, is that stud linebackers Joplo Bartu and Paul Worrilow emerged as capable starters (I still think Worrilow should've been a pro-bowler) and that our rookie CBs, who were thrown into the fire this season, really responded really well: Alford played well enough to beat out Asante as starting Corner and I feel that Trufant can be a top 5 CB in the league in a few short years. Then of course, there's the top 10 draft pick.

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jan 8, 2014 10:23 pm

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -the-year/

PFF named Trufant their rookie of the year!

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 pm

^Saw that. It is indeed some vindication for trading up to get Desmond.

Any thoughts, guys, on who we'd like to see get drafted this spring? I'm thinking trade back for late 1st rounder and an additional 2nd rounder.

We have so many holes on defense and the O-line, one prospect ain't fixing it all.

Also, with some necessary cuts being made, we could be as much as $32 million under the cap. Two big acquisitions in FA, plus a solid draft could leave us stocked for years and back in contention next season.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ATL Boy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:53 pm

One of the best draft moves Dimitroff has made. Trufant is currently the 4th best CB according to PFF, and is solidifying himself into a top 5 CB in the NFL

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#11 » by Hawk Eye » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm

It's not looking good so far. Gordon is making an excellent return for Cleveland following that long suspension he served.

Return to Atlanta Falcons