ImageImageImage

Rex Ryan a perfect Fit for Falcons next Head Coach?

Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,372

Rex Ryan a perfect Fit for Falcons next Head Coach? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:12 am

From the NY Daily News, not exactly one of the more dependable sources of info. In fact, it's pretty much a tabloid filled with rumor, gossip and innuendo...

But an interesting conversation piece all the same.

Ryan might trade in a closet full of green-and-white gear for some red-and-black merchandise with a new motto: Play Like A Falcon.

Blank, a native of Queens, is a Ryan fan. The owner came away with a favorable impression of the then-Ravens defensive coordinator during the head coaching interview process in 2008. Two sources believed that Ryan had the inside track at the time thanks to a solid first interview with Blank and team president Rich McKay before general manager Thomas Dimitroff was hired.

The feeling is that Blank will make a coaching change after the season, even though the 5-7 Falcons could win the weak NFC South.

“I think Smitty’s fate is sealed,” the source said of Smith...

It’s unclear whether Dimitroff will be retained, but signs point to Blank making the call on the coaching hire.

“I believe Arthur will hire the next coach, not Thomas [Dimitroff],” the source said. “That’s if he even keeps Thomas.”
HERE

I like Rex. I think he makes the league a more interesting place. I also think he's a hell of a coach, witnessed by him beating Peyton Manning and the Colts at home in the playoffs and beating Tom Brady and the Patriots at home in the playoffs.

Clearly, his teams have struggled of late. And he absolutely bares some responsibility for that.

Thoughts? Predictions concerns?

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Rex Ryan a perfect Fit for Falcons next Head Coach? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:18 am

But he didn't simply become a bad coach overnight. If we keep the Offensive Coordinator and GM, I think there is enough structure here to get the most out of what he can bring.

Rex isn't my TOP choice. (Cowher, Harbaugh,) But he is in my top 5.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:20 am

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones would be the two best offensive skill-position players that Ryan has ever coached. (Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is under contract through 2015).

Ryan’s defensive prowess is exactly what the Falcons need. Smith’s team ranks last in total defense after finishing 27th last season. They’re currently last against the pass. Ryan has had a Top 10 defense in five of six seasons with the Jets. He finished in the Top 6 against the pass in four seasons. The Jets are somehow 13th in pass defense this season despite a horrific cornerback situation.

Ryan’s teams have had the toughness that Blank desires. The Jets defense is third against the run after finishing third last season.

“It would be a great opportunity for Rex,” said Mike Vick, who played his first six seasons in Atlanta. “It would be a great opportunity for Arthur. I can tell you that… It would be awesome. I think Rex would fit in. With the defensive scheme that he has, with the right players, he could work miracles. Super Bowl miracles.”
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 am

Rex concerns me a great deal.
I hope our focus is on someone else but I understand why Rex would be on our shortlist.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jan 7, 2015 11:57 pm

Falcons had a 5 hour interview with Rex, that's a good sign, hopefully we lock him up soon.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:39 am

ATL Boy wrote:Falcons had a 5 hour interview with Rex, that's a good sign, hopefully we lock him up soon.

Indeed, now this!!!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/552832315374972928[/tweet]

Todd Bowles is climbing my list of top candidates...but Rex is still #1. He is the rare Defensive Coach that can out strategize his opponents on that side of the ball. Just the skill set needed for a division with 'Killa' Cam and 'Cool Brees'.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 am

Buffalo bound.
I believe it's for the best, him, and us actually.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#8 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 pm

I suppose we'll have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to find out who the coach will be.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.

Return to Atlanta Falcons