ImageImageImage

Falcons searching for new Head Coach in 2020?

Moderator: HMFFL

Who would you like to see coach the Falcons next year?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Dan Quinn
No votes
Ron Rivera
No votes
Mike McCarthy
No votes
Josh McDaniels
No votes
Gary Kubiak
No votes
Urban Meyer
No votes
Jim Harbaugh
100%
Other (Include in comments)
No votes

Total votes: 1

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Falcons searching for new Head Coach in 2020? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:59 pm

It's been a few years since we needed one of these. Who do you guys favor in our coaching search?

Ron Rivera Is Out in Carolina but Should Be a Hot Commodity in 2020

After the Falcons suffered back-to-back losing seasons and a steady downward slide since losing Super Bowl LI in heartbreaking fashion, just about everyone expects Dan Quinn to be let go after the season. Actually, had you conducted a survey, it's a good bet most pundits would have predicted that the head coach of the 3-9 Falcons would be shown the door before Rivera.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank is keenly aware of what Rivera is capable of as a head coach. Since he took over in Charlotte, Carolina has more NFC South titles than Atlanta does. And with star quarterback Matt Ryan not getting any younger, the idea of hiring a more established coach could easily appeal to the Home Depot magnate.
Bleacher Report
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Re: Falcons searching for new Head Coach in 2020? 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:49 pm

I joked with a friend that's a Dallas fan and he wasn't happy when I mentioned Ron Rivera as the future head coach of the Cowboys. I was only joking but I would expect Rivera's people to reach out to Jerry Jones unless Rivera doesn't want to be a sheep in Jerry Jones world. It would regardless!

I'm no sure just yet who is on my list of Coaches. I don't believe Mr. Blank will make a bold move and remove Quinn of the position so I will need to see that happen first.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:39 pm

After two losing seasons, it’s clear Dan Quinn isn’t the man

Among the questions Arthur Blank must ask himself: Is the guy who has coached the Atlanta Falcons for five seasons the right guy to coach the 2020 Falcons and beyond? Because next year’s Falcons will be different. Next year’s Falcons will have to pare down, as opposed to gear up. For two seasons, Dan Quinn has done less with more. Can he somehow be expected to do more with less?

The Falcons’ post-Super Bowl strategy has been to throw money at everybody. That spending hasn’t really worked – they’re 24-25 since squandering that 28-3 lead – and it’s about become unworkable. To date, Quinn has managed keep every player he really wanted. Consecutive losing seasons tell us he hasn’t exactly maximized resources. How many times since the first three quarters on Feb. 5, 2017, have the Falcons appeared well-coached?

No coach under Blank has kept his job after back-to-back losing seasons. Quinn’s winning percentage, counting playoff games, is .536. Jim Mora’s was .540. Mike Smith’s was .573. Based on records, the incumbent is the second-worst coach hired by this owner. (Ahead of only Bobby Petrino.)

The belief here is that viable options are available. Mike McCarthy has a winning percentage of .613. He also has one of those rings Blank lacks.

I know the owner is struggling with this. I know he loves Quinn. (The two hugged after Sunday’s game. They hug after every game.) The answer, however, seems no less clear than it did two months ago. Were this going to work, it would have by now. It’s time to let someone else try.
AJC.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Gary Kubiak could be the head coach the Falcons need

There is a great chance the Falcons will be looking for a new head coach this offseason...after another season full of underachievement, it is time to find a coach who can translate the team's star power to wins – preferably one with a proven track record. The man who meets that criteria is Gary Kubiak, current Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Advisor for the Minnesota Vikings. You likely remember Kubiak from his tenure as the Houston Texans Head Coach (2006-2013) or his short stint as the Broncos Head Coach (2015-2016) in which they won the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, health concerns cut his terrific head coaching career short, and he took a front-office role with the Broncos until last season.

Kubiak has only served as an offensive coordinator once in recent memory, with the Baltimore Ravens in 2014. Under Kubiak, Joe Flacco had the best season of his career. He never reached that level of play again.

Kubiak has played a considerable role in the Vikings offense this year, and they have become a run-first team behind Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison, making life easier for Kirk Cousins, who has had a fantastic season. That is precisely how the Falcons need to revamp their offense for 2019.

Hiring Kubiak would not be bringing in another coach that wants to run the West Coast. It would be acquiring a man who has mastered it and made it so prevalent in today’s game. Imagine what he could accomplish with talents such as Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley. He may not be a long-term hire given his age, but it seems like he could be the best thing for the team right now.
Sports Talk ATL

12 months ago:
Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
After two losing seasons, it’s clear Dan Quinn isn’t the man

Among the questions Arthur Blank must ask himself: Is the guy who has coached the Atlanta Falcons for five seasons the right guy to coach the 2020 Falcons and beyond? Because next year’s Falcons will be different. Next year’s Falcons will have to pare down, as opposed to gear up. For two seasons, Dan Quinn has done less with more. Can he somehow be expected to do more with less?

The Falcons’ post-Super Bowl strategy has been to throw money at everybody. That spending hasn’t really worked – they’re 24-25 since squandering that 28-3 lead – and it’s about become unworkable. To date, Quinn has managed keep every player he really wanted. Consecutive losing seasons tell us he hasn’t exactly maximized resources. How many times since the first three quarters on Feb. 5, 2017, have the Falcons appeared well-coached?

No coach under Blank has kept his job after back-to-back losing seasons. Quinn’s winning percentage, counting playoff games, is .536. Jim Mora’s was .540. Mike Smith’s was .573. Based on records, the incumbent is the second-worst coach hired by this owner. (Ahead of only Bobby Petrino.)

The belief here is that viable options are available. Mike McCarthy has a winning percentage of .613. He also has one of those rings Blank lacks.

I know the owner is struggling with this. I know he loves Quinn. (The two hugged after Sunday’s game. They hug after every game.) The answer, however, seems no less clear than it did two months ago. Were this going to work, it would have by now. It’s time to let someone else try.
AJC.com
I assumed Coach Quinn would have more support with the latest wins. However, I'm prepared for the team to go a different direction, because I don't believe Quinn is the guy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:22 pm

I truly hope we're not missing out on a top coaching candidate by holding onto DQ for another year.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I truly hope we're not missing out on a top coaching candidate by holding onto DQ for another year.

Read on Twitter
I'm disappointed that Quinn's not gone but I expected Blank to retain him. Oh, well, another year with Quinn, so I will be positive.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Two appealing franchises for Josh McDaniels to decide between. More teams will ask for permission.

The Giants job could be hard to turn down.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Giants and Panthers have requested permission to interview Patriots OC Josh McDaniels for their head-coaching vacancies.

That's in addition to the Browns. The Panthers' interest was first reported by NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Sunday. Neither McDaniels' 2018 betrayal of the Colts nor the Patriots' sputtering 2019 offense has diminished McDaniels' standing as one of the most sought after coaching prospects in the league. The process will be trickier this year, as the Patriots lack a first-round bye for the first time since 2009-10. If someone finally lands Bill Belichick's top assistant, it will be after a protracted process.

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

, New York Giants

, Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 30, 2019, 11:17 AM ET

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:08 am

And Kyle Shanahan wets the bed in the 2nd Half of yet another Super .

:nonono:

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 8, 2020 12:05 am

Jamaaliver wrote:And Kyle Shanahan wets the bed in the 2nd Half of yet another Super .

:nonono:

Read on Twitter
I must admit that I thought the 49ers had it won in the 4th. I am happy for KC and the UGA players that won.

Return to Atlanta Falcons