Moderator: JaysRule15

Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Daily Papers: April 02 

Post#1 » by Huskies1947 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:05 pm

Toronto Star

Halladay, Jays ready to jump off top rope

Unfortunately, these weren't baseball fans. The homemade championship belts, mohawks and garish outfits marked them as bored wrestling fans killing time ahead of WrestleMania 23, staged last night across the street at Ford Field.

"Wrestling? Really?" shortstop Aaron Hill wondered after when someone let him in on the secret of the seething mass of humanity outside.

"Hey, you into wrestling?" Hill asked passing teammate Reed Johnson.

Johnson's reply was a withering stare, a long pause and a bemused, "No."

None of the Jays, looking tanned and relaxed after a morning flight from Tampa, would 'fess up to an interest in the goings on in the squared circle.

Jays set to whet their whistles

POSITION PLAYERS

2 AARON WALTER HILL 2B

Born March 21, 1982

in Visalia, Calif. (also lives there)

Neat number: Hit .362 from May 14 through the end of July to raise his average 117 points to .303.

Karaoke pick: "Can't Fight this Feeling," REO Speedwagon. "Great tune but you don't want me singing it."

Toronto Sun
No Doubts for Thomas

Thomas, who turns 39 next month, is as healthy as a three-year-old stakes contender at Woodbine -- though he has yet to hit the Rogers Centre turf -- as the 2007 schedule begins this afternoon.

"What have I learned about these guys, now that I'm here, after playing them for 17 seasons? Not much," Thomas smiles. "Everything is as advertised. We have an incredible lineup.

Tigers find a ring for Jays' Stairs

Stairs started last year with the Kansas City Royals, then was dealt to the Texas Rangers before the Tigers picked him up. He played 14 games for Detroit, hitting .244 with two homers and eight RBIs.

Turn out the Lights

Competition is what it's all about for Halladay, knowing he's done the best he can, has left nothing on the field. "Once I got back (in 2001) and felt like I established myself and knew I would go every five days, it made it a lot easier for me to make that my only goal, my only focus," he said.

Globe Sports

Toronto turns to its ace on opening day

Halladay has dominated the Tigers in his career, the owner of a 10-2 record against Detroit with a minuscule 1.85 earned-run average to boot.

Halladay has faced seven of the nine batters who will be in the Detroit lineup today, and they've struggled to hit for a combined .233 average (21-for-90) against the Toronto right-hander.

Blair: Asian market too rich for the Blue Jays

Suddenly, Israel has approached Major League Baseball about wanting a team in the next WBC. Seriously. The New York Mets toodled off to Ghana during the off-season and the Yankees
belowtherim
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Daily Papers - April 2, 2007 

Post#2 » by belowtherim » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:09 pm

No doubts for Thomas
By Bob Elliott
"What have I learned about these guys, now that I'm here, after playing them for 17 seasons? Not much," Thomas smiles. "Everything is as advertised. We have an incredible lineup.

"We have a guy who might win the most valuable player award," Thomas said pointing at centre fielder Vernon Wells

Toronto Sun

Tigers find a ring for Jays' Stairs
By Bob Elliott
Blue Jays' backup outfielder Matt Stairs, of Frederiction, N.B., will be presented with a Detroit Tigers American League championship ring.

"The Tigers told me I was getting one, which was nice. It's my first," said Stairs, who also reached the playoffs with the 1995 Boston Red Sox and the 2000 Oakland A's.

Toronto Sun

Turn out the lights
By Mike Rutsey
"Honestly, not as much as you think," Halladay said when asked what being the ace means. "I think more than anything you're expected to be a stopper (of a losing streak), be able to pitch in a big series. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not something I put a ton of stock in.

Toronto Sun

Halladay, Jays ready to jump off top rope
By Cathal Kelly
Roy Halladay, today's starter, wasn't quite as put out as Johnson when asked about his interest in it. "Afraid not," he laughed after being asked if he was a fan. "I'll be asleep."

Halladay arrived in Michigan with his formidable game face already on and brushing away talk about the "real" start to the season.

Toronto Star

Jays set to whet their whistles
By Allan Ryan
Called on to step up to the karaoke mike, members of this year's ball club make their electric and eclectic selections

Toronto Star

The Blue Jays changed face of sport in Toronto
By Dave Perkins
Hockey, meaning the NHL, was big-league to us, but the NHL was a niche sport across North America. (Still is, but that's another story.) The NFL was, and still remains, a pipedream for a few and the NBA was on no one's radar. The odd horse and rider/driver from Woodbine and Greenwood would go down and make a splash in bigger ponds, and George Knudson had won a few golf tournaments, but that was about it. Toronto wasn't really a big-time player until the Blue Jays arrived.

Toronto Star

The nitty-gritty on the Blue Jays in 2007
By John Lott and Jeremy Sandler
National Post baseball reporters John Lott and Jeremy Sandler discuss nine of the biggest issues facing the Blue Jays as the open their season today in Detroit against the Tigers - the defending American League champions.

National Post

Blue Jays face tough test right out of the gate against Tigers in season opener
By Shi Davidi
Burnett and Chacin will follow Halladay in Detroit as the series wraps up Wednesday and Thursday. Toronto's rotation becomes a question mark from there, with Tomo Ohka and Josh Towers rounding out the staff. Ohka battled injuries the past two seasons while Towers is trying to rebound from an awful 2006, and no one is sure what to expect from them.

National Post

Toronto turns to its ace on opening day
By Robert Macleod
Seemingly rejuvenated Josh Towers will pitch in Sunday's game, after which the Jays will fly to Toronto for their home opener on April 9 against the Kansas City Royals. Burnett will get the starting assignment for that game.

Globe & Mail

Sunshine Girl

Today's Weather
Cloudy with sunny periods. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 12. UV index 4 or moderate.
belowtherim
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by belowtherim » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:13 pm

sorry buddy, i threw one of these up too, mods feel free to lock mine
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#4 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:17 pm

Wow guys it's great that both of you decided to do the papers!

You guys should get in contact and alternate days or something. Plus I'm not sure if it's this thread of the other but the weather is a nice touch, considering with baseball it could actually mean something.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#5 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:18 pm

Sunshine girl is very cute today!
Huskies1947
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Huskies1947 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:20 pm

^ Yeah tru

too bad you can't PM people.
belowtherim
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by belowtherim » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:26 pm

mjaffer13 [at] rogers [dot] com, if you want to work out a schedule just give me a shout there
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#8 » by OldNo7 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks to both of you.

If there are specific days either of you want to reserve to do so, please let me know and we can set up a schedule if its possible.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Andrea>Dirk » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:08 pm

Thanks guys much appreciated!
Huskies1947
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Huskies1947 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:40 pm

I can do mondays, wednesdays and thursdays
Ryanz24