Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

vvoland
Pro Prospect
And1: 184

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#421 » by vvoland » Wed May 22, 2024 6:58 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:I kind of want Wigs and Caruso together. They can lock down the perimeter so we can have one of the best defenses. Wigs is one of the best Luka/Tatum defenders, players we'll have to get through if we're still going for it.

I do see Lavine as a better fit than Ingram, and realistically we should get compensated for taking on his salary. He was really bad in chicago this year.

I don't really want to see that. In fact, I semi-jokingly texted a buddy of mine when discussing something similar, "I'd rather bet on celibrini getting lavine healthy than I would on wiggins returning to form". Then I realized it's probably true.

It's been nearly two full seasons since wiggins disappeared despite having stretches where he looked like his old self. As a result, it seems like a mental issue, not physical, and I don't think I'd want to bet on that improving next season.

Caruso and draymond should be enough defensively to get us most of the way there. I see the wiggins minutes going to moody and then there's the question as to who starts at 2 as Caruso is probably best suited in a 6th man role, as is podz. That's why I'd try to flip podz for a big, ideally a stretch big. I'd try to get one in regardless of other moves as I do think that's the position that unlocks the frontcourt.

For example, I don't think you'd need that many picks to go out with the poo-poo platter of cp3, wigs, podz or moody, and contract fillers like loon and gp2 to bring back lavine (or simmons, if CDM insists), caruso and one of miles turner (high end), brook lopez (low end) or even a kleber/bertans/vucevic type.

Just to keep it simple as a two team trade:
cp3, wigs, loon and gp2 = $74M while lavine, vuc, caruso = $73M. I think we'd be getting at least 1 first round pick (protected) to get that money off their books. caruso is on an expiring, vuc is 2 years and lavine has 3 while we'd send them almost $50M of expiring contracts + maple jordan. We can still get under the 2nd apron if you don't bring back klay for more than 15M (or at all) and the tax payer MLE will be available to round out the roster. There are probably trade kickers and other salary machinations I'm not taking into account but it's probably close enough.

So your depth chart is looking like
Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Caruso/Moody
Dray/JK
Vuc/TJD

I rather have to trade CP/Looney/GP2/Moody for Lavine/Caruso

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Wiggins/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD/

that way our closing lineup can be Curry/Lavine/Caruso/Wiggins/Dray

Unlikely since they wanted JK for Caruso.

I still wouldn't want to move Moody. Giving the bulls $50M in expirings should be plenty to get caruso when taking back lavine. Especially since caruso only has one season left on his deal. You'd probably need to ship out santos and another min contract to make the money work.

My depth chart also has Klay in place of Q but I think we all know how you feel about that. Because I'd keep Klay and Moody, I'd want to move Wiggins for a center. How about to Mil for Brook? Money kinda works, brook is getting old, maybe we add a 2nd rounder?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,732

Post#422 » by Onus » Wed May 22, 2024 7:27 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
I don't really want to see that. In fact, I semi-jokingly texted a buddy of mine when discussing something similar, "I'd rather bet on celibrini getting lavine healthy than I would on wiggins returning to form". Then I realized it's probably true.

It's been nearly two full seasons since wiggins disappeared despite having stretches where he looked like his old self. As a result, it seems like a mental issue, not physical, and I don't think I'd want to bet on that improving next season.

Caruso and draymond should be enough defensively to get us most of the way there. I see the wiggins minutes going to moody and then there's the question as to who starts at 2 as Caruso is probably best suited in a 6th man role, as is podz. That's why I'd try to flip podz for a big, ideally a stretch big. I'd try to get one in regardless of other moves as I do think that's the position that unlocks the frontcourt.

For example, I don't think you'd need that many picks to go out with the poo-poo platter of cp3, wigs, podz or moody, and contract fillers like loon and gp2 to bring back lavine (or simmons, if CDM insists), caruso and one of miles turner (high end), brook lopez (low end) or even a kleber/bertans/vucevic type.

Just to keep it simple as a two team trade:
cp3, wigs, loon and gp2 = $74M while lavine, vuc, caruso = $73M. I think we'd be getting at least 1 first round pick (protected) to get that money off their books. caruso is on an expiring, vuc is 2 years and lavine has 3 while we'd send them almost $50M of expiring contracts + maple jordan. We can still get under the 2nd apron if you don't bring back klay for more than 15M (or at all) and the tax payer MLE will be available to round out the roster. There are probably trade kickers and other salary machinations I'm not taking into account but it's probably close enough.

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Caruso/Moody
Dray/JK
Vuc/TJD

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Wiggins/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD/

I still wouldn't want to move Moody. Giving the bulls $50M in expirings should be plenty to get caruso when taking back lavine. Especially since caruso only has one season left on his deal. You'd probably need to ship out santos and another min contract to make the money work.

My depth chart also has Klay in place of Q but I think we all know how you feel about that. Because I'd keep Klay and Moody, I'd want to move Wiggins for a center. How about to Mil for Brook? Money kinda works, brook is getting old, maybe we add a 2nd rounder?

If Klay is still on the team and you have Lavine and Caruso. That's 90 minutes at the 2 and 3. Moody isn't getting any playing time unless injury occurs.

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Moody
Klay/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD
Highly doubt Mil moves off of Brook. They have to contend with Giannis/Dame. But we do have a lot of ammunition for a center.

I don't love it. Basically we're burying Moody and JK when we should be leaning into them to see what we have or trading them.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
vvoland
Pro Prospect
And1: 184

Post#423 » by vvoland » Wed May 22, 2024 7:47 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Caruso/Moody
Dray/JK
Vuc/TJD

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Wiggins/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD/

If Klay is still on the team and you have Lavine and Caruso. That's 90 minutes at the 2 and 3. Moody isn't getting any playing time unless injury occurs.

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Moody
Klay/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD
Highly doubt Mil moves off of Brook. They have to contend with Giannis/Dame. But we do have a lot of ammunition for a center.

I don't love it. Basically we're burying Moody and JK when we should be leaning into them to see what we have or trading them.

I wouldn't start Klay in that scenario (despite my well above average affection for the player). It would be JK at the 3, maybe moody if JK just can't shoot at all. Klay would be the backup at the 2 which I would expect to get more than a few starts as we try to keep lavine healthy.

Curry/Podz/Caruso
Lavine/Klay/Caruso
JK/Moody/Caruso
Dray/JK/Moody/Caruso
whoever we trade wigs for/TJD

While this looks like it relegates caruso to a 3rd stringer for most positions, it's more like I'd play him off the bench anywhere 1-4 and he'd probably close a lot of games at the 2 or 3.
Onus
RealGM

Post#424 » by Onus » Wed May 22, 2024 7:58 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Moody
Klay/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD

I wouldn't start Klay in that scenario (despite my well above average affection for the player). It would be JK at the 3, maybe moody if JK just can't shoot at all. Klay would be the backup at the 2 which I would expect to get more than a few starts as we try to keep lavine healthy.

Curry/Podz/Caruso
Lavine/Klay/Caruso
JK/Moody/Caruso
Dray/JK/Moody/Caruso

While this looks like it relegates caruso to a 3rd stringer for most positions, it's more like I'd play him off the bench anywhere 1-4 and he'd probably close a lot of games at the 2 or 3.

If Klay is still on the team he's getting 30mpg whether that's off the bench or starting we've seen this movie. Lavine is getting at least 30 if not 30+ he's getting 43M. Caruso the best player amongst this triplet should be getting 30 as well. That's 90+ minutes at the 2/3 spot and you want to finagle some minutes for JK in there at the 3 and somehow get minutes for Moody at the 3 as well? Curry is getting 30. Podz will play all the backup 1 minutes so that's 18, he'll probably play some at the 2 as well because he's going to deserve more than 18. We'll be safe and say 6 minutes at the 2 which brings him to 24 minutes.

30+30+30+30+24 = 144 minutes at the 1-3 position all minutes at these 3 spots are accounted for which leaves 48 for the 4 and 48 for the center. We'll say dray plays 24 min at the 4 and 6 min at the center that leaves 24 at the 4 and 42 at center. So JK, Moody and TJD and whatever center you want to bring in are fighting for 68 minutes. That's just not going to work.
Onus
RealGM

Post#425 » by Onus » Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 pm

Kelly Iko saying we're interested in Malik Beasley. Klay replacement?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,738

Post#426 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 22, 2024 10:27 pm

Onus wrote:Kelly Iko saying we're interested in Malik Beasley. Klay replacement?

Probably a Moody replacement.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
BayAreaDub
Senior
And1: 307

Post#427 » by BayAreaDub » Thu May 23, 2024 4:35 am

I hope MDJ takes a flier on some bargain bin dude(s). Maybe a Jalen McDaniels, Torrey Craig (kinda old), Jalen Smith, Matisse Thybulle (less so).

Guess Beasley fits that for FA. Get younger, get longer, get bigger.

Again, don't give Kerr the players for small 3-4 guard lineups. That's MDJ's job as a manager.
Mambomuziki
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#428 » by Mambomuziki » Thu May 23, 2024 7:32 am

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:If Klay is still on the team and you have Lavine and Caruso. That's 90 minutes at the 2 and 3. Moody isn't getting any playing time unless injury occurs.

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Moody
Klay/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD

Curry/Podz/Caruso
Lavine/Klay/Caruso
JK/Moody/Caruso
Dray/JK/Moody/Caruso

If Klay is still on the team he's getting 30mpg whether that's off the bench or starting we've seen this movie. Lavine is getting at least 30 if not 30+ he's getting 43M. Caruso the best player amongst this triplet should be getting 30 as well. That's 90+ minutes at the 2/3 spot and you want to finagle some minutes for JK in there at the 3 and somehow get minutes for Moody at the 3 as well? Curry is getting 30. Podz will play all the backup 1 minutes so that's 18, he'll probably play some at the 2 as well because he's going to deserve more than 18. We'll be safe and say 6 minutes at the 2 which brings him to 24 minutes.

30+30+30+30+24 = 144 minutes at the 1-3 position all minutes at these 3 spots are accounted for which leaves 48 for the 4 and 48 for the center. We'll say dray plays 24 min at the 4 and 6 min at the center that leaves 24 at the 4 and 42 at center. So JK, Moody and TJD and whatever center you want to bring in are fighting for 68 minutes. That's just not going to work.

I would hate to do such a deal and have Klay on 30 min+. I think it would be wise for the Team to Reduce Mins for all the older Vets including Steph and Dray.
On another note I would try and Move Moody for Grimes and Trade JK for a future draft. Reasons being these Team will be Very expensive season after especially if we were to pay JK, Moody and Caruso.
Mambomuziki
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#429 » by Mambomuziki » Thu May 23, 2024 7:37 am

BayAreaDub wrote:I hope MDJ takes a flier on some bargain bin dude(s). Maybe a Jalen McDaniels, Torrey Craig (kinda old), Jalen Smith, Matisse Thybulle (less so).

Guess Beasley fits that for FA. Get younger, get longer, get bigger.

Again, don't give Kerr the players for small 3-4 guard lineups. That's MDJ's job as a manager.

To add to your list; Oshae Brisset, Trendon Watford. Wouldn't mind Alex Len and training camp deal for Aron Baynes- Jeez he is 37.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#430 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 23, 2024 8:45 am

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:If Klay is still on the team and you have Lavine and Caruso. That's 90 minutes at the 2 and 3. Moody isn't getting any playing time unless injury occurs.

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Moody
Klay/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD

Curry/Podz/Caruso
Lavine/Klay/Caruso
JK/Moody/Caruso
Dray/JK/Moody/Caruso

That defense is in a whole lot of trouble without a single offball defender to partner up with dray.

Imo, the point of Caruso is to have someone up top to pester the perimeter which allows wiggs to roam and let dray dictate.

I guess the assumption is that jk can be that guy that can be telepathically linked to dray like iggy and wiggy on defense.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#431 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 am

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
watch1958 wrote:That’s interesting. Seeing how much Kerr used Podz, I think he’d love Josh. 3 point shooting would be the question, along with cost.

I'd kick the tires on a jk for giddey/Joe and maybe a pick deal.

Wild that yall would trade our best trade chip for someone who might not even close. If we trade JK it needs to be for someone that is either going to make us the best defensive team or a 2nd option type player. Either way that player needs to be in our closing 5.

Getting a number 2 that you'd want would be difficult unless lavine or Beal floats your boat. Even then, it wish be that cheap because the salaries need to work.

Giddey and Joe are better fits, not more talented than jk. Joe is underrated. He's a 3pt gunner that hits over 40%. His 6"8 wingsoan is the same as klays eventhough hes only 6"3. Giddey is jack of all trades on offense like iggy, but lacks the defense. He can handle and facilitate like a guard, but rebound better than most bigs on our team. The legal stuff is the concern.
Onus
RealGM

Post#432 » by Onus » Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Curry/Podz/Caruso
Lavine/Klay/Caruso
JK/Moody/Caruso
Dray/JK/Moody/Caruso

That defense is in a whole lot of trouble without a single offball defender to partner up with dray.

Imo, the point of Caruso is to have someone up top to pester the perimeter which allows wiggs to roam and let dray dictate.

I guess the assumption is that jk can be that guy that can be telepathically linked to dray like iggy and wiggy on defense.

Yea if we do trade for Lavine and Caruso I'd rather not have Klay and keep Wiggins. Our defense would be top notch with Caruso, Wiggins, Dray.
Onus
RealGM

Post#433 » by Onus » Thu May 23, 2024 12:57 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
I'd kick the tires on a jk for giddey/Joe and maybe a pick deal.

Wild that yall would trade our best trade chip for someone who might not even close. If we trade JK it needs to be for someone that is either going to make us the best defensive team or a 2nd option type player. Either way that player needs to be in our closing 5.

Getting a number 2 that you'd want would be difficult unless lavine or Beal floats your boat. Even then, it wish be that cheap because the salaries need to work.

Giddey and Joe are better fits, not more talented than jk. Joe is underrated. He's a 3pt gunner that hits over 40%. His 6"8 wingsoan is the same as klays eventhough hes only 6"3. Giddey is jack of all trades on offense like iggy, but lacks the defense. He can handle and facilitate like a guard, but rebound better than most bigs on our team. The legal stuff is the concern.

I think I'd rather try Lavine than Giddey tbh although I'm not really high on Lavine either. Giddey is in a really advantageous situation. He gets the 3rd best perimeter defender if that or gets the center guarding him. He has shooters all over the court, which he wouldn't have here. He puts up decent numbers but even under that situation ended up getting benched because he can't defend or shoot.

I do like Joe and Joe's defense was rather impressive in that dallas series.

JK should be reserved for a better player than Giddey is my only point.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,033

Post#434 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:48 pm

I think they need to figure out what pieces work best with getting a group that includes Podz, Moody, JK, and MJD more minutes, and hopefully more minutes together. If that is a veteran 1, 2, 3, or 4 is up to what is available ... I don't think that player is currently on the team. A prime Livingston or Iguodala would possibly be near ideal :)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#435 » by EvanZ » Thu May 23, 2024 5:54 pm

It's really sad seeing the "moves" being suggested here as if this team is a Josh Giddey away from being competitive again. My god.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#436 » by thunderdunk » Sun May 26, 2024 3:58 am

EvanZ wrote:It's really sad seeing the "moves" being suggested here as if this team is a Josh Giddey away from being competitive again. My god.

Exactly. If they re-sign Klay and just shuffle the deck chairs it’s going to be a LONG 2-3 years.
Onus
RealGM

Post#437 » by Onus » Sun May 26, 2024 4:05 am

thunderdunk wrote:
EvanZ wrote:It's really sad seeing the "moves" being suggested here as if this team is a Josh Giddey away from being competitive again. My god.

Exactly. If they re-sign Klay and just shuffle the deck chairs it’s going to be a LONG 2-3 years.

Klay is the one that locks us into purgatory.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,949

Post#438 » by 510TWSS » Mon May 27, 2024 12:35 am

Yeah not seeing any moves that’ll get us back into contention unless KD somehow comes walking through that door.

My expectations this off-season will be very low. Shuffling deck chairs basically
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,738

Post#439 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 27, 2024 4:24 am

Onus wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:

Klay is the one that locks us into purgatory.

Draymond was the one who locked them into mediocrity.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
RUN-TJM
Pro Prospect
And1: 25

Post#440 » by RUN-TJM » Tue May 28, 2024 11:51 am

Bringing in a talented player about to start their 4th season usually turns out well for the team. They either have a young asset on a decent contract or a player that is contributing to the now. Considering our crappy cap situation and likelihood that we re-sign Klay, it may be the only way we improve.

Return to Golden State Warriors