ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Rick Barry defends Trump on racist groups

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

OT: Rick Barry defends Trump on racist groups 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 am

Apparently Barry defended Trump's statements on the Charlottesville event, the ones where Trump wouldn't repudiate racist groups.

Ugh, go away Rick.
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Re: OT: Rick Barry defends Trump on racist groups 

Post#2 » by FrigginFalcon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

wco81 wrote:Apparently Barry defended Trump's statements on the Charlottesville event, the ones where Trump wouldn't repudiate racist groups.

Ugh, go away Rick.

Hmmm . . . well, he's been doing underhanded things for years now. This is just his latest foul shot, apparently.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#3 » by Quazza » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 am

you guys can't possibly be shocked?

KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#4 » by East Bay Sports » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Rick Barry is a known piece of human garbage. Teammates, opponents, coaches,... nobody liked (likes?) him.
CaptainMorgan78
Junior
And1: 273

Post#5 » by CaptainMorgan78 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am

Rick is spot on.

Sent from my Z981 using RealGM mobile app
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#6 » by shazam_guy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 am

"Yes, there are problems in basketball, but the other side is bad too. Remember, Draymond Green tried to flick LeBron's nuts when LeBron was tea-bagging him. Violence comes from both sides."
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#7 » by cpower » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 am

there are close to half of the Americans are defending Trump so why surprise?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#8 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 am

cpower wrote:there are close to half of the Americans are defending Trump so why surprise?

His approval is at 34%, and that was just before the situation in Charlottesville happened, which almost certainly didn't help.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
wco81
RealGM

Post#9 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 am

Supposedly one of the causes of friction between Dan Gilbert and Lebron is that Gilbert is a big Trump supporter.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#10 » by cpower » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:38 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
cpower wrote:there are close to half of the Americans are defending Trump so why surprise?

His approval is at 34%, and that was just before the situation in Charlottesville happened, which almost certainly didn't help.

His approval was lower than 34% before the election but you see what happens. Truth is people are hiding their real opinions and all pools are misleading and meaningless.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#11 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:

The fact that we aren't certain about it not helping speaks so many volumes about the country. Sad!!
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by shazam_guy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:21 am

Oh, when the heads of the arm forces all send a message at the same time saying, basically, racism sucks and we in the military won't have it, they're not saying it because of some nazi punks in Charlottesville, they're saying it because the president of the United States is way too cozy with it and everybody with any sense knows it.

I think that was an incredibly important moment, actually. The fact that they jumped in so quickly means that the people in charge of the military are making it really clear right now that they won't back Trump if he gets squirrely.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#13 » by Money_ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Quazza wrote:you guys can't possibly be shocked?

Wow... what a complete.... douchenozzle... :crazy:
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#14 » by Money_ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm

This isn't new. 25% of the country (give or take a few) has always been racist, xenophobic, homophobic, douchebags who's emotions are easily manipulated.
I heard Barry defend TRump saying that "never has a president been so scrutinized".. Really Barry?
For 8 years there were complete lunatics that said Obama was a Kenyan communist muslim sent here to destroy our country.
one of them is now president.....
Its not like tRump didn't bring the scrutiny on himself by being a complete racist scumbag with criminal business practices for the last 60 years.

These people want a legitimate seat at the table of political debate. Its our job to prevent that. Its not a political viewpoint/opinion.
It's just hate.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#15 » by Samurai » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 pm

I don't see why this is news or worthy of partisan responses. The partisan part is fairly obvious; in Thursday's Marist Poll, 67% of Republicans approved of Trump's response and 82% of Democrats disapproved. If Barry is a Republican (I don't know which party he is registered with), then being part of a 67% majority is certainly not newsworthy.

I would also steer clear of seemingly intentional misspellings such as "tRump" or "Obummer" as they may indicate a biased or partisan response and right now I do believe we need more unity than we need more partisan divisiveness. If this thread about Rick is to promote unity, I don't have an issue. If it is being used to fuel more bias and divisiveness, I would think the moderators should review this and determine if there is value in letting this, and the name-calling, continue or not. In general, I don't think politics and basketball mix. There are plenty of other forums specifically devoted to posting political opinions.
wco81
RealGM

Post#16 » by wco81 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Though most GOP politicians disagreed with Trump, who tried to say both the neo nazis and the counter protesters were equally at fault for the violence.

And then the White House sent out talking points defending Trump, saying he was right.

None of the 52 GOP Senators or dozens of House leaders would publicly use these talking points.

Doesn't mean they've broken off from him, especially on the laws they want to pass but they won't side with him on this issue.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#17 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Money_ wrote:This isn't new. 25% of the country (give or take a few) has always been racist, xenophobic, homophobic, douchebags who's emotions are easily manipulated.

cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#18 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

We have to be very careful making broad statements about the political views of "Americans". People will ultimately act in their material interests and support for Trump represents a distorted and temporary attempt to break with the status quo. Many of those voting for him are the hardest hit by de-industrialization, the opiate epidemic and the collapse of social-services throughout the country. That they hate both the Republicans and Democrats and are trying to break with the political establishment and find a new way forward to give their bleak lives some hope is ultimately progress(though the form is distorted and temporary).

BTW, I don't think Barry can be grouped in with them, he's got plenty of money.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#19 » by FrigginFalcon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:We have to be very careful making broad statements about the political views of "Americans". People will ultimately act in their material interests and support for Trump represents a distorted and temporary attempt to break with the status quo. Many of those voting for him are the hardest hit by de-industrialization, the opiate epidemic and the collapse of social-services throughout the country. That they hate both the Republicans and Democrats and are trying to break with the political establishment and find a new way forward to give their bleak lives some hope is ultimately progress(though the form is distorted and temporary).

BTW, I don't think Barry can be grouped in with them, he's got plenty of money.

I agree, and will try to resist going further off topic. I grew up in what would now be considered "Trump Country." I am no longer part of that group, but I imagine Trump won by a handy margin among my HS graduating class. I absolutely understand their angst, and I agree with a lot of it. What I still fail to understand is how these people, who I never found to be either stupid or irresponsible, could think that a vote for Trump was either a responsible choice or a vote for their self-interest. Certainly some people seem to be thrilled as long as Trump is seen as a middle finger the to DC establishment, but both my contemporaries and the adults I knew growing up seemed more thoughtful than that.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by shazam_guy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 am

It's worrisome and I loathe Trump and his cronies, but the thoughtful responses are heartening. There are times in the last few years I've thought we were as close to fascism as we've ever been, but others when I've thought we're more committed to doing right than we've ever been, both things because of Trump and the people around him.

Return to Golden State Warriors