ImageImageImageImageImage

What Would A Successful 2019-20 Be To You?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

What Would A Successful 2019-20 Be To You? 

Post#1 » by likemycurryhot » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:18 pm

This coming season feels very different from an expectations standpoint and is really wide open in terms of possible likely outcomes. For me thatā€™s actually a refreshing change of pace (especially since I think we will outperform most expectations).

In your opinions, what would constitute a successful season? Given that Klayā€™s return date is a great unknown, I realize itā€™s hard to put parameters around win totals and such but, whatever, feel free to be as bold or conservative or realistic as youā€™d like. And maybe itā€™s not about wins, maybe itā€™s about figuring out team identity or other less tangible goals.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: What Would A Successful 2019-20 Be To You? 

Post#2 » by HiRez » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:45 pm

No injuries including Klay coming back healthy, DLo proves last season wasn't a fluke, Looney gets more PT, the young guys get to play some non garbage-time minutes, Green doesn't regress, they make the playoffs and Bogut comes back again. I actually think they have potential to not only make the playoffs but go quite deep but for sure there's some teams that will give them a good challenge. Also want to see Kerr and the rest of the coaching staff get more creative with sets, run more P&R, bring back screening (individual and team) as a priority.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#3 » by azwfan » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:31 am

I think an NBA title would be a success.

We still have Curry and Draymond with Klay coming back 2nd half of the season. Russell has gotta be better than most other teams' 3rd or 4th best player. Looney is solid. WCS should be solid. Although we're not the favorite, man how can we call anything short of that a success (assuming full health) knowing what Curry, Draymond, and Klay can do? Its really tough for me to say its a success to do anything less than win a championship.

Win totals wise, i would say we would probably somewhat struggle early and then come on late. Klay will likely take some time to get right and integrating Russell and the other new faces should take some time. Don't really care about win total as far as a barameter of success. Just enough wins to make the playoffs will suffice.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#4 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:24 am

If I am getting the specifics correct, it would be making the playoffs but finishing outside the top 10 teams in the league (we get to keep our #1 draft pick then, correct?), having a healthy Klay for the playoffs and winning the title. If I'm going to wish, go big or go home!

Then I can watch the General Board blow up again about having an unfair stacked team because we added DLo!!
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#5 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:18 am

A team like GSW has to target the championship and while knowing it's unlikely to happen, it can be a totally successful season without it.
It can be a positive season anyway if we develop the youngsters and Klay comes back at 100%, but a team with two players like Curry and Dray in their prime can't just waste a year.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#6 » by BballIntellect » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:02 am

A successful season would have to be the Dubs winning 50+ in the regular season and the team as a whole (especially the core guys) to stay healthy throughout the season and play 75+ games.

But unless we want to compete for a championship this upcoming season and therefore have a good seeding, regular season record won't matter much this year.

So in my estimation: Dream Scenario; Klay comes back by March and the Warriors find a way to win the championship.

Realistic Scenario: 48 to 54 Regular Season Wins (I'd say 52) with Curry playing MVP Caliber and Draymond being Draymond. Seeding: Anywhere from 4 to 6. (I'd say 5) Second Round Exit.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#7 » by Coxy » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:42 am

Curry MVP and the title.

I am now spoilt, so be it.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#8 » by whatisacenter » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:48 pm

WCF and the core stays healthy. Dream scenario would be: Draymond learned to shoot in the offseason, DLO and WCS run the pick and roll and dunk all over fools, we finish the RS with just good enough record to keep our 1st round pick(Brooklyn), Klay comes back like Klay, and if we don't win another title, we take out one of the LA teams or Houston in the playoffs.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#9 » by Money_ » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:35 pm

nice. I like whatisacenter's scenario... adding that both Dray and Looney add a better outside shot, a rookie or reserve emerges as a reliable go to, and the entire team takes ownership of becoming a stronger defensive team all around.
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#10 » by likemycurryhot » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm really liking all the confidence expressed by most of the posters. I do think we have a shot at a championship if Klay comes back 100%. I'll still be satisfied, though, if we come up with a coherent way to fold DLo into our offensive scheme and if our younguns make significant strides, especially in restoring our defensive standing. If we can make it into the second round and have a fully restocked and seasoned lineup for next year, I'm a happy camper.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#11 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:35 pm

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#12 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:54 pm

Warriors Knocking LeBron out of the playoffs would be nice.
Winning the championship would be real nice.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:54 pm

- The team has fun
- The vets and coaches teach and support the youngsters
- At least 3 of the youngsters develop into real NBA level players
- Win at least one round of the playoffs
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#14 » by Bayside » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 am

If WCS and Spellman can shore up our center rotation. If those guys give us different looks and are solid. That would be a small win.
Smailagic bandwagon gets some steam.. I want to get on board.
Russell- Clear direction where we are going with him.... Long term or trade piece.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#15 » by floppymoose » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:12 am

Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#16 » by Quazza » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 am

First and foremost -Lots of highlight dunks for Coxy
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#17 » by Samurai » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

I posted my ideal dream scenario in post #4. But here is my more muted (realistic) expectation for success specifically with our rookies:
Poole - ends up playing over 15 minutes a game because he warrants it and not because we have to (i.e. only playing due to injuries) and shoots between 37-40% from deep.
Smiley - spends most of the year at Santa Cruz and impresses the coaches with all aspects of his game; offense, defense, and rebounding. Especially impresses coaches with how much he has grown in his bbIQ and understands what he needs to do and where he needs to be on each play. By the end of the year, he is clearly the best player in Santa Cruz and shows he is ready to be a rotation player for the 20/21 season.
Paschall - doesn't need to be a standout in any particular aspect but shows competence across the board. Is good enough to play 15+ minutes/game at both SF and PF and demonstrates that he is versatile enough to play both positions well.

None of this shows that any of them will win Rookie of the Year, but I think we should be happy if they can accomplish this much.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#18 » by azwfan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:24 am

Samurai wrote:I posted my ideal dream scenario in post #4. But here is my more muted (realistic) expectation for success specifically with our rookies:
Poole - ends up playing over 15 minutes a game because he warrants it and not because we have to (i.e. only playing due to injuries) and shoots between 37-40% from deep.
Smiley - spends most of the year at Santa Cruz and impresses the coaches with all aspects of his game; offense, defense, and rebounding. Especially impresses coaches with how much he has grown in his bbIQ and understands what he needs to do and where he needs to be on each play. By the end of the year, he is clearly the best player in Santa Cruz and shows he is ready to be a rotation player for the 20/21 season.
Paschall - doesn't need to be a standout in any particular aspect but shows competence across the board. Is good enough to play 15+ minutes/game at both SF and PF and demonstrates that he is versatile enough to play both positions well.

None of this shows that any of them will win Rookie of the Year, but I think we should be happy if they can accomplish this much.

As far as developing our youngsters...

1. I'd add in Evans and Spellman development into the mix.
2. I'd like for 1 of the 5 to show something for us to get hyped about - Baby Jesus style (hopefully with better long term results)!
3. In addition, another 1 or 2 to look to be dependable bench options. (like your 15 mpg note above).
4. None of the 5 we want to dump for nothing at the end of the season. Probably unrealistic, how about no more than 1. haha
5. Ky Bowman looks like a stud in Santa Cruz and after D'Lo has a minor injury gets called up to the big club. In the short amount of time he gets, he looks like prime Baron Davis reincarnated and earns a mid-season 2-year contract as soon as we are able. (in the offseason we trade him for mutliple future 1st rd picks which we eventually use in a package for Giannis - but those details will be included in the Offseason 2020 thread).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:35 pm

So in my dream scenario, something crazy, but has a smidgen of possibilty.

Draymond Green, with the loss of KD, Iguodala, Livingston (who just retired), and Klay for half a season, balls out to the point of being in the MVP conversation. Yes MVP for Draymond. He increases all of his averaged, shoots his best percentages, and plays at defensive player of the year caliber.

He and Steph have the Warriors in serious contention in the West.

Along with that, all of the new guys contribute at levels we'd hope, and young guys carve out legit time, and great play.

Draymond for MVP!!!!
Khoee wrote ā€œ
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ā€
likemycurryhot
Senior

Post#20 » by likemycurryhot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Mylie10 wrote:So in my dream scenario, something crazy, but has a smidgen of possibilty.

Draymond Green, with the loss of KD, Iguodala, Livingston (who just retired), and Klay for half a season, balls out to the point of being in the MVP conversation. Yes MVP for Draymond. He increases all of his averaged, shoots his best percentages, and plays at defensive player of the year caliber.

He and Steph have the Warriors in serious contention in the West.

Along with that, all of the new guys contribute at levels we'd hope, and young guys carve out legit time, and great play.

Draymond for MVP!!!!

Hard for Dray to win an MVP with Steph splitting votes but if he can bring the Warriors defense back to 2016 levels he would definitely deserve it, regardless of how he performs. Iā€™m really hoping he gets to put another DPOY trophy on his mantle if nothing else.

Return to Golden State Warriors