ImageImageImageImageImage

You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for?

Robert Covington
3
9%
Evan Fournier
0
No votes
Aaron Gordon
0
No votes
Brandon Ingram
6
18%
Tobias Harris
1
3%
Al Horford
5
15%
Kyle Kuzma
1
3%
Kevin Love
1
3%
Julius Randle
0
No votes
OTHER
16
48%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 39,178
And1: 44,932
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 am

not really surprising, he's a crappy defender, but even worse as a team defense guy...if 1 guy screws up team defense it ruins the entire scheme

all flash no substance type of player, the worst kind because he tricks people into thinking he's actually a winning player (hence the 30 million a pop he got).

he needs to get traded ASAP before he loses value, which will inevitably happen.
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,321
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#62 » by TB » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:27 am

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
TB wrote:A couple people mentioned it elsewhere, so figured its worth discussing here... the Suns are a pretty interesting trade partner for DLo. Getting him keeps Booker happy and sets them up to then try to move for KAT eventually.

Oubre, Rubio, Suns 1st rounder is a pretty great get for DLo if we can't snag a big fish. Oubre would thrive at the starting SF spot next to steph/klay. And Rubio would instantly be one of the best bench players in the league.

Good luck outscoring some small-ball minutes of of Rubio, Steph, Klay, Oubre, Dray.


Is there any possibility that the TWolves are also involved? Booker, DLo and KAT are all buddies and have expressed interest in playing with each other. Obviously Ayton + others would have to go to the Wolves, but maybe they can send RoCo to the Warriors...RoCo and Oubre would add much needed depth at SF.


Just to answer this one real quick, there actually is some trades that work in a 3 way deal... not that I have any clue if teams would say yes or not... just that the "this trade works" is obtainable 8-)

Dubs get: Oubre, Covington
Suns get: Towns, DLo
Wolves get: Ayton, Bridges, Rubio, phx 1st this year, any other phx 1sts they can send

Am I crazy to think that actually works for everyone? :crazy:
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 39,178
And1: 44,932
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 am

^ yes
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,321
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#64 » by TB » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:42 am

clyde21 wrote:^ yes


:lol: dang. Was gonna forward this proposal to Bob. :(
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,267
And1: 219
Joined: Jan 28, 2014

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#65 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:56 am

TB wrote:
Dubs get: Oubre, Covington
Suns get: Towns, DLo
Wolves get: Ayton, Bridges, Rubio, phx 1st this year, any other phx 1sts they can send

Am I crazy to think that actually works for everyone? :crazy:


I like this. Warriors still retain their first round draft pick to build for the future and trade exception to get a veteran center, respectively, while improving their length, defense and depth.

G: Steph/Bowman/Jacob Evans
SG: Klay/Damion Lee/Poole
SF: Oubre/RoCo/Iguodala
PF: Dray/Paschall
C: Spellman/Smiley/WCS or Trade exception

First round pick: Wiseman, Anthony Edwards, or trade down for lower first round pick (Tyrese Haliburton?) and vet.

Of course you lose a guy that can create his own shot in DLo, but the lineup is more balanced and can switch on D. I would like to add someone like an Aaron Baynes (big body who can shoot from outside) as well.
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
General Manager
Posts: 9,756
And1: 1,604
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#66 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 am

TB wrote:
Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
TB wrote:A couple people mentioned it elsewhere, so figured its worth discussing here... the Suns are a pretty interesting trade partner for DLo. Getting him keeps Booker happy and sets them up to then try to move for KAT eventually.

Oubre, Rubio, Suns 1st rounder is a pretty great get for DLo if we can't snag a big fish. Oubre would thrive at the starting SF spot next to steph/klay. And Rubio would instantly be one of the best bench players in the league.

Good luck outscoring some small-ball minutes of of Rubio, Steph, Klay, Oubre, Dray.


Is there any possibility that the TWolves are also involved? Booker, DLo and KAT are all buddies and have expressed interest in playing with each other. Obviously Ayton + others would have to go to the Wolves, but maybe they can send RoCo to the Warriors...RoCo and Oubre would add much needed depth at SF.


Just to answer this one real quick, there actually is some trades that work in a 3 way deal... not that I have any clue if teams would say yes or not... just that the "this trade works" is obtainable 8-)

Dubs get: Oubre, Covington
Suns get: Towns, DLo
Wolves get: Ayton, Bridges, Rubio, phx 1st this year, any other phx 1sts they can send

Am I crazy to think that actually works for everyone? :crazy:


the Suns get one of the best bigs in the game and an all-star guard, the Wolves gets last year's #1 pick and a bunch of 1sts, and we get...two role players?? :nonono:
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 37,703
And1: 8,225
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#67 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
TB wrote:
Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
Is there any possibility that the TWolves are also involved? Booker, DLo and KAT are all buddies and have expressed interest in playing with each other. Obviously Ayton + others would have to go to the Wolves, but maybe they can send RoCo to the Warriors...RoCo and Oubre would add much needed depth at SF.


Just to answer this one real quick, there actually is some trades that work in a 3 way deal... not that I have any clue if teams would say yes or not... just that the "this trade works" is obtainable 8-)

Dubs get: Oubre, Covington
Suns get: Towns, DLo
Wolves get: Ayton, Bridges, Rubio, phx 1st this year, any other phx 1sts they can send

Am I crazy to think that actually works for everyone? :crazy:


the Suns get one of the best bigs in the game and an all-star guard, the Wolves gets last year's #1 pick and a bunch of 1sts, and we get...two role players?? :nonono:


Just for context purposes;

Oubre is averaging 18.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.5 steals, and a block. That's in 34 minutes per game. He's shooting 47%, 36% from 3, and almost 80% from the line.

Covington is averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block, in 29 minutes per game.
44%fg, 35% from 3, and 80% from the line.

Those 2 would instantly shore up our small forward and both can swing to the 4 in certain matchups. Oubre can even play a couple minutes here and there at the 2.

If Oubre's your starter then you go;

Curry
Klay
Oubre
Draymond
? Looney? MLE?

Bench;

Bowman
Iguodala
Covington
Paschall
Spellman

You still have Poole, Smiley, and maybe Chriss as deep bench guys.

You also have our first rounder and possible TPE.
BballIntellect
Sophomore
Posts: 206
And1: 62
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#68 » by BballIntellect » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 am

Oubre and Covington are both solid players and would be nice to get especially for us with our current wing rotation but both the Suns and the Wolves get so much more value than us in that deal it's crazy.
freypies
Sophomore
Posts: 241
And1: 53
Joined: Feb 21, 2017

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#69 » by freypies » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:48 am

BballIntellect wrote:Oubre and Covington are both solid players and would be nice to get especially for us with our current wing rotation but both the Suns and the Wolves get so much more value than us in that deal it's crazy.


I mean, we get the least value, but we also lose the least value in that hypothetical trade that will never happen. Our trade is literally just DLo for Oubre/Covington, which is not too bad of a haul at all.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,526
And1: 4,655
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#70 » by cpower » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:38 am

BballIntellect wrote:Oubre and Covington are both solid players and would be nice to get especially for us with our current wing rotation but both the Suns and the Wolves get so much more value than us in that deal it's crazy.

Wolves are not giving up KAT, lets say even they do this, KAT, DLO and Brooker will only give him a 6th seed. Too much ISO scoring and zero defense and depth.
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,267
And1: 219
Joined: Jan 28, 2014

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#71 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 am

BballIntellect wrote:Oubre and Covington are both solid players and would be nice to get especially for us with our current wing rotation but both the Suns and the Wolves get so much more value than us in that deal it's crazy.



Yeah. I agree with you that's the case if you evaluate the trade and players exchanged in isolation. But if you instead look at that trade through chemistry and fit, and building a championship team (which is the ultimate goal), then the proposed trade is very good for the Warriors. Who cares if you get all-stars in return if they don't ultimately fit?

I think people were miffed for the same reasons when the Warriors traded a 20 ppg scorer in Monta for a center coming off an injury who was an unknown commodity in Bogut. Monta might have had better value in isolation, but Bogut was a better fit for the team, for the complementary skills he brought as a player, as well as the opportunity it created for Curry to lead the team without Monta.
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,321
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#72 » by TB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:55 am

lol i'm very surprised that in my fantasy 3 team trade the one team that had the most "wouldn't do it" was the warriors?!

Suns do that in a heartbeat to get the 3 "superstars" that want to play together.

Warriors do that to get Oubre/Covington while only losing DLo and keeping their 1st pick. (this is assuming the "big fish" deal combining DLo/1st isnt available)

Wolves are the team that says no unless KAT is forcing the issue. Ayton/Bridges/Rubio/Picks is pretty much the max i could put together unless warriors throw in some young asset (paschall or smiley etc).
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 37,703
And1: 8,225
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#73 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:00 am

TB wrote:lol i'm very surprised that in my fantasy 3 team trade the one team that had the most "wouldn't do it" was the warriors?!

Suns do that in a heartbeat to get the 3 "superstars" that want to play together.

Warriors do that to get Oubre/Covington while only losing DLo and keeping their 1st pick. (this is assuming the "big fish" deal combining DLo/1st isnt available)

Wolves are the team that says no unless KAT is forcing the issue. Ayton/Bridges/Rubio/Picks is pretty much the max i could put together unless warriors throw in some young asset (paschall or smiley etc).


I had almost the same trade about a month ago, just so you know.

It would definitely take Town's forcing the issue.
User avatar
TB
Head Coach
Posts: 6,321
And1: 30
Joined: Mar 11, 2007

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#74 » by TB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:29 am

Mylie10 wrote:
TB wrote:lol i'm very surprised that in my fantasy 3 team trade the one team that had the most "wouldn't do it" was the warriors?!

Suns do that in a heartbeat to get the 3 "superstars" that want to play together.

Warriors do that to get Oubre/Covington while only losing DLo and keeping their 1st pick. (this is assuming the "big fish" deal combining DLo/1st isnt available)

Wolves are the team that says no unless KAT is forcing the issue. Ayton/Bridges/Rubio/Picks is pretty much the max i could put together unless warriors throw in some young asset (paschall or smiley etc).


I had almost the same trade about a month ago, just so you know.

It would definitely take Town's forcing the issue.


Gotcha, I didn't dive to far back into the thread.. just recently addicted to this board again. Haven't been around since we got good, i guess I like this place more when we suck and can argue over if Smiley will be better or worse than Magic Randolph.

Just need Towns agent and Bob to see one of those trade posts. 8-)
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 37,703
And1: 8,225
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#75 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 am

If Ayton were to go on a tear, it might help Minnesota be more receptive if Towns made waves.

I say let them have their mini dream team. Because those 3 aren't built to win it all. They are to soft.
BballIntellect
Sophomore
Posts: 206
And1: 62
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#76 » by BballIntellect » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Sam Lowry Jr wrote:
BballIntellect wrote:Oubre and Covington are both solid players and would be nice to get especially for us with our current wing rotation but both the Suns and the Wolves get so much more value than us in that deal it's crazy.



Yeah. I agree with you that's the case if you evaluate the trade and players exchanged in isolation. But if you instead look at that trade through chemistry and fit, and building a championship team (which is the ultimate goal), then the proposed trade is very good for the Warriors. Who cares if you get all-stars in return if they don't ultimately fit?

I think people were miffed for the same reasons when the Warriors traded a 20 ppg scorer in Monta for a center coming off an injury who was an unknown commodity in Bogut. Monta might have had better value in isolation, but Bogut was a better fit for the team, for the complementary skills he brought as a player, as well as the opportunity it created for Curry to lead the team without Monta.


I completely agree with you with the fact there is more to trades than simply name recognition or X all star involved in it, fit and chemistry matters too. When you look at the Sixers roster on paper, they have by far the most talented team in the East but when you see them play on the court, it's completely different and it looks like a mess at times.

But you have to consider the circumstances too. Dlo and our pick this year are our only real avenues to getting a big time player back in a trade. This isn't a small trade on the margin where fit is much more important we're talking about here.

Your Monta for Bogut argument is a bit flawed. Bogut missed more than half of the season after we traded for him. He was barely in shape. The team learnt how to win without him and made the playoffs despite him missing 50 games.

The real thing trading Monta did was unlocking Curry and giving him the keys of the franchise. David Lee was at that point a solid second option. And trading Monta also gave Curry a backourt partner in Klay who fit him better and was getting better going into his second year.
User avatar
KevinMcreynolds
General Manager
Posts: 9,756
And1: 1,604
Joined: Feb 07, 2010
Location: San Francisco
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#77 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
TB wrote:
Just to answer this one real quick, there actually is some trades that work in a 3 way deal... not that I have any clue if teams would say yes or not... just that the "this trade works" is obtainable 8-)

Dubs get: Oubre, Covington
Suns get: Towns, DLo
Wolves get: Ayton, Bridges, Rubio, phx 1st this year, any other phx 1sts they can send

Am I crazy to think that actually works for everyone? :crazy:


the Suns get one of the best bigs in the game and an all-star guard, the Wolves gets last year's #1 pick and a bunch of 1sts, and we get...two role players?? :nonono:


Just for context purposes;

Oubre is averaging 18.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.5 steals, and a block. That's in 34 minutes per game. He's shooting 47%, 36% from 3, and almost 80% from the line.

Covington is averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block, in 29 minutes per game.
44%fg, 35% from 3, and 80% from the line.

Those 2 would instantly shore up our small forward and both can swing to the 4 in certain matchups. Oubre can even play a couple minutes here and there at the 2.

If Oubre's your starter then you go;

Curry
Klay
Oubre
Draymond
? Looney? MLE?

Bench;

Bowman
Iguodala
Covington
Paschall
Spellman

You still have Poole, Smiley, and maybe Chriss as deep bench guys.

You also have our first rounder and possible TPE.


I don't want any part of either of those players, so it's a non-starter for me.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,267
And1: 219
Joined: Jan 28, 2014

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#78 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 pm

BballIntellect wrote:But you have to consider the circumstances too. Dlo and our pick this year are our only real avenues to getting a big time player back in a trade. This isn't a small trade on the margin where fit is much more important we're talking about here.

Your Monta for Bogut argument is a bit flawed. Bogut missed more than half of the season after we traded for him. He was barely in shape. The team learnt how to win without him and made the playoffs despite him missing 50 games.

The real thing trading Monta did was unlocking Curry and giving him the keys of the franchise. David Lee was at that point a solid second option. And trading Monta also gave Curry a backourt partner in Klay who fit him better and was getting better going into his second year.


I guess it's hard for me to imagine what superstar they can realistically get in return for DLo and a first pick in a weak draft. Sure, no question I would do it for a Giannis or a Ben Simmons (although that might bring up a fit problem with the current lineup where Draymond might have to be subsequently traded). The above trade scenario is under the assumption that the Warriors cannot get either of those two guys.

If the Warriors, however, cannot trade Dlo and the 1st pick for either of those two, would it be worth it to trade both for a Bradley Beal, whom Woj has mentioned as a doable option a couple of weeks ago? I'm not sure if that trade would make the Warriors better either in the short term or long term than the Oubre, Roco and keep the first pick scenario for Dlo.

I mentioned Curry taking over the offense being a benefit of the Monta/Bogut swap. The analogy still holds up: Monta for Bogut was still a great deal for the Warriors despite Monta having more value in isolation than Bogut at the time, even assuming that Bogut had little to do with the Warriors success in the early part of the dynasty (which I don't necessarily agree with). Despite the trade being arguably lopsided from a value prospective, it was an invaluable trade from a chemistry perspective. Addition by subtraction, as they say...
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Starter
Posts: 2,498
And1: 2,080
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#79 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Bradley Beal seems unhappy in Washington. Possibly trade target? Would you trade D'Lo for him?
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 37,703
And1: 8,225
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: You're the GM...Who are you trading Russell for? 

Post#80 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:24 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Bradley Beal seems unhappy in Washington. Possibly trade target? Would you trade D'Lo for him?


In a friggen heartbeat

Return to Golden State Warriors