ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff Push Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,696

Re: Playoff Push Thread 

Post#121 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed May 5, 2021 6:35 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:So about that 36 mpg limit on Steph…

I loved how everyone just decided that was Kerr trying to control the rotations and lineups and not a consultative decision by probably the entire basketball operation including Steph and his own physical wellness advisors. Steph has become notorious as the guy who runs the fastest/farthest in the league every game. It stands to reason that they just might have sports scienced the s :censored: out of this decision to keep him playing at an optimal physical level for the 36 minutes he is on the court. Between injury risk and the history of Steph being worn down at the end of the year and the compressed schedule of this season, maybe just maybe the collaborative and well considered minutes limitation was a good idea and not just about the naked pictures Wannamaker had?

If the math says Steph's peak performance is tied to 36 minutes, I am fine with that. But what does annoy me about losing a few games in those 2 minutes before the 6:00 minute mark of the 4th quarter is that we've been blown out quite a lot this year so there's 6 minutes per blowout that Steph isn't playing in the fourth quarter. Off of the top of my head: the Lakers twice, Bucks, the Nets twice, Suns, Clippers, and the Mavericks game. So that's a full 48 minutes we've tricked off there. In two minute increments, that's 19 games of extra Steph time in the fourth quater.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#122 » by timlin500 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:10 pm

It'd be interesting to see Curry taken out late in the 3rd more so that he can play more mins in the 4th. Total mins will still be similar but less potential for 4th quarter collapses...not counting yesterday since it was a back to back.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,161

Post#123 » by TB » Wed May 5, 2021 7:11 pm

It is a little annoying that every team knows EXACTLY when they need certain matchups against us, and that we won't adjust at all to them. But at the same time, Steph seems to like the set rotation and I mean he's an MVP candidate using it so not really much to complain about...
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,621

Post#124 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:16 pm

I hope we miss the playoffs and then win the lottery.
TB
General Manager

Post#125 » by TB » Wed May 5, 2021 7:17 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:I hope we miss the playoffs and then win the lottery.

Or even better, win the lotto from the 9 or 10 seed and still make the playoffs. 8-)
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#126 » by Sleepy51 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:47 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:So about that 36 mpg limit on Steph…

I loved how everyone just decided that was Kerr trying to control the rotations and lineups and not a consultative decision by probably the entire basketball operation including Steph and his own physical wellness advisors. Steph has become notorious as the guy who runs the fastest/farthest in the league every game. It stands to reason that they just might have sports scienced the s :censored: out of this decision to keep him playing at an optimal physical level for the 36 minutes he is on the court. Between injury risk and the history of Steph being worn down at the end of the year and the compressed schedule of this season, maybe just maybe the collaborative and well considered minutes limitation was a good idea and not just about the naked pictures Wannamaker had?

If the math says Steph's peak performance is tied to 36 minutes, I am fine with that. But what does annoy me about losing a few games in those 2 minutes before the 6:00 minute mark of the 4th quarter is that we've been blown out quite a lot this year so there's 6 minutes per blowout that Steph isn't playing in the fourth quarter. Off of the top of my head: the Lakers twice, Bucks, the Nets twice, Suns, Clippers, and the Mavericks game. So that's a full 48 minutes we've tricked off there. In two minute increments, that's 19 games of extra Steph time in the fourth quater.

I obviously wasn’t in the meetings but it also stands to reason that the rotation and rest times are primarily focused on allowing for in-game recovery so that the next time Curry enters the game he has the legs and wind to be at his utmost impact. It may not really be abount limiting the minutes he plays, but about getting him the specific amount of rest he needs to be at his best. Resting at the quarter breaks extends that rest by the TV broadcast breaks that he wouldn’t get with breaks that start mid-quarter. It’s maximizing his rest while minimizing his time off the floor
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#127 » by hamncheese » Thu May 6, 2021 1:57 pm

TB wrote:

Or even better, win the lotto from the 9 or 10 seed and still make the playoffs. 8-)

The teams not in the playoffs are in the lottery. So, Warriors would have to lose the play-in. If they finish 9 or 10 and win the 8th seed, they are not in the lottery.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#128 » by watch1958 » Thu May 6, 2021 2:35 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
I obviously wasn’t in the meetings but it also stands to reason that the rotation and rest times are primarily focused on allowing for in-game recovery so that the next time Curry enters the game he has the legs and wind to be at his utmost impact. It may not really be abount limiting the minutes he plays, but about getting him the specific amount of rest he needs to be at his best. Resting at the quarter breaks extends that rest by the TV broadcast breaks that he wouldn’t get with breaks that start mid-quarter. It’s maximizing his rest while minimizing his time off the floor
It would be funny to watch if Wiseman's primary role in the next few years turned out to be the guy who kept the Dubs reliably (+) when Steph was off the floor, and they won a couple 2-3 more rings over 5 years.

I think some parts of this board would brain lock.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#129 » by cpower » Thu May 6, 2021 4:06 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
It would be funny to watch if Wiseman's primary role in the next few years turned out to be the guy who kept the Dubs reliably (+) when Steph was off the floor, and they won a couple 2-3 more rings over 5 years.

you need to wake up man, never been a rookie who turned around like that before. It's also much difficult for bigman in this guards league...they get picked apart by not able to defend perimeters..
cpower
RealGM

Post#130 » by cpower » Thu May 6, 2021 4:07 pm

our goal is to win rings, not win lotteries.. Curry is 33 and a top talent will take 3 years to develop...the timeline does not align here
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,104

Post#131 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 6, 2021 4:18 pm

cpower wrote:

our goal is to win rings, not win lotteries.. Curry is 33 and a top talent will take 3 years to develop...the timeline does not align here

how does making the playoffs this season help the Warriors win a ring? Unless some ring chasers look at the play-in Warriors and jump to join them on the cheap the best way to get back to the top is by the Minny pick conveying and the Warriors own pick being as valuable as possible.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu May 6, 2021 4:31 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
cpower wrote:

how does making the playoffs this season help the Warriors win a ring? Unless some ring chasers look at the play-in Warriors and jump to join them on the cheap the best way to get back to the top is by the Minny pick conveying and the Warriors own pick being as valuable as possible.

Ring chasers are exactly what we need. I absolutely want the Minnesota pick to convey. But I don't want to be in the position of relying on that to happen. We should not be planning around a best case scenario and banking on the Minnesota pick to give us the assets to go big fish hunting. This team could have been six wins better, this year, with better coaching and rotations. Kerr was pretty open about the fact that he wasn't playing his best lineups earlier in the year and it's clear that front office politics were playing into coaching decisions.

So imagine now that Kerr had actually... chased wins with coaching decisions and we'd had someone like Serge Ibaka or Marc Gasol or Nicolas Batum this year. Even without Klay, I think it's not out of the question that this team could have been sitting around 40-20 this year in that scenario. But when Klay went down before the season, it clearly had an impact on our ability to get ring chasers. The best way to bring those vets into the fold is a playoff run that reminds them that Steph Curry is an immortal who can put the fear of god in any team, even with the most meager of supporting casts.
TB
General Manager

Post#133 » by TB » Thu May 6, 2021 4:40 pm

hamncheese wrote:
TB wrote:

The teams not in the playoffs are in the lottery. So, Warriors would have to lose the play-in. If they finish 9 or 10 and win the 8th seed, they are not in the lottery.

ahhh I read on here that it was based on regular season record, but that appears to be incorrect.

I'll take the 1 play in game over the longshot odds of jumping into the top 4.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,104

Post#134 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 6, 2021 4:50 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
cpower wrote:our goal is to win rings, not win lotteries.. Curry is 33 and a top talent will take 3 years to develop...the timeline does not align here

Ring chasers are exactly what we need. I absolutely want the Minnesota pick to convey. But I don't want to be in the position of relying on that to happen. We should not be planning around a best case scenario and banking on the Minnesota pick to give us the assets to go big fish hunting. This team could have been six wins better, this year, with better coaching and rotations. Kerr was pretty open about the fact that he wasn't playing his best lineups earlier in the year and it's clear that front office politics were playing into coaching decisions.

So imagine now that Kerr had actually... chased wins with coaching decisions and we'd had someone like Serge Ibaka or Marc Gasol or Nicolas Batum this year. Even without Klay, I think it's not out of the question that this team could have been sitting around 40-20 this year in that scenario. But when Klay went down before the season, it clearly had an impact on our ability to get ring chasers. The best way to bring those vets into the fold is a playoff run that reminds them that Steph Curry is an immortal who can put the fear of god in any team, even with the most meager of supporting casts.

I agree that the team needs some vets to join them in the offseason but I am not expecting the Warriors to put a scare in anybody in the playoffs when the opposing teams will leave Draymond and Kevon while swarming Curry.

I also did not have a problem with Kerr playing the lineups he did earlier in the season when he was trying to get Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman used to playing with Curry in the Warriors system. I see Wiggins playing at a much more comfortable level in the system at the moment and unfortunately Oubre never figured it out and Wiseman was snakebit from the jump with Covid/injuries derailing his rookie season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#135 » by xdrta+ » Thu May 6, 2021 4:52 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
cpower wrote:our goal is to win rings, not win lotteries.. Curry is 33 and a top talent will take 3 years to develop...the timeline does not align here

The whole "chasing wins" thing keeps being taken out of context. It was all about how much Steph would play, not about coaching decisions, or development, or whatever else people thought. The quote was
“For me, for our organization, we're not throwing Steph out there for 40 minutes to chase wins. We got another game tomorrow. We want Steph to be playing at a high level for many years so we're gonna stay very disciplined and try to keep him at that 34-35-minute mark."

Now, maybe you disagree with that and think Steph should have been playing 40 minutes game. OK, but that's what 'chasing wins' was about.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu May 6, 2021 4:58 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

The whole "chasing wins" thing keeps being taken out of context. It was all about how much Steph would play, not about coaching decisions, or development, or whatever else people thought. The quote was
“For me, for our organization, we're not throwing Steph out there for 40 minutes to chase wins. We got another game tomorrow. We want Steph to be playing at a high level for many years so we're gonna stay very disciplined and try to keep him at that 34-35-minute mark."

Now, maybe you disagree with that and think Steph should have been playing 40 minutes game. OK, but that's what 'chasing wins' was about.

My focus here is less on Curry's minutes and more on rotation decisions. Kerr said early in the year, when our starting lineup with Oubre/Wiseman was playing worse than the Process era Sixers, that he knew this wasn't his best 5 players. We watched JTA get DNP's for a big chunk of the season only for it to be crystal clear that he is at worst, our 5th best player. Oubre started for a long time, which I can make sense of politically and in the locker room. But my bigger point here is that the 5th/6th seed were very attainable this year and that a playoff push probably makes us get a foot in the door with better vets next offseason.

whatisacenter wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I agree that the team needs some vets to join them in the offseason but I am not expecting the Warriors to put a scare in anybody in the playoffs when the opposing teams will leave Draymond and Kevon while swarming Curry.

I also did not have a problem with Kerr playing the lineups he did earlier in the season when he was trying to get Wiggins, Oubre and Wiseman used to playing with Curry in the Warriors system. I see Wiggins playing at a much more comfortable level in the system at the moment and unfortunately Oubre never figured it out and Wiseman was snakebit from the jump with Covid/injuries derailing his rookie season.

The dream scenario here is facing Utah in the first round. I think we'd be lucky to win a game against Phoenix. I definitely think the motion offense will get messed up by smart, veteran teams who scout us well. But I still think we get better role players next year if we make the playoffs than if we don't. What's the appeal of coming here next offseason if you're an older vet and the Warriors, who missed the playoffs two years in a row, come calling?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#137 » by xdrta+ » Thu May 6, 2021 5:44 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote: We watched JTA get DNP's for a big chunk of the season only for it to be crystal clear that he is at worst, our 5th best player. Oubre started for a long time, which I can make sense of politically and in the locker room.

JTA should never play ahead of Oubre. He'll always be a secondary bench piece, not a starter in this league. There's a reason JTA will hang on with a minimum contract a few years, while Oubre will get a longer term deal in the $12-15M range.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#138 » by watch1958 » Thu May 6, 2021 8:51 pm

cpower wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

you need to wake up man, never been a rookie who turned around like that before. It's also much difficult for bigman in this guards league...they get picked apart by not able to defend perimeters..
Really? No player has every become useful rotation player in their second year? Thanks for the info, I must not have been paying attention for the last 50 years. :roll:
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,621

Post#139 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 6, 2021 10:08 pm

cpower wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

Just a friendly reminder... who was last season's MVP?
cpower
RealGM

Post#140 » by cpower » Thu May 6, 2021 10:22 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
cpower wrote:
watch1958 wrote:It would be funny to watch if Wiseman's primary role in the next few years turned out to be the guy who kept the Dubs reliably (+) when Steph was off the floor, and they won a couple 2-3 more rings over 5 years.

Just a friendly reminder... who was last season's MVP?

Gannis actually was a positive defender since day 1...are you really trying to compare wiseman with greek freak? Gannis was focusing on his defense first and slowly developed his offense game and became a star in year 4. The two cannot be more different...

Return to Golden State Warriors