More Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,738

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#1321 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:57 am

bay2hk wrote:
Dubs 707 wrote:Pass warriors and racism don't mix...

Warriors did have lamb last year so don’t think it’s out of the question. Iggy, who was vocal about Leonard on Twitter last year, is not going to be on the roster next year so worst come to worst Leonard is an option.

Beggars can’t be choosers and the remaining FA bigs are slim

This is shaping up to be the most unlikable Warriors team in years for me and adding Meyers Leonard would just be the cherry on top.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,751

Post#1322 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:38 am

Did Leonard really mean what he said? I watched the clip, and it sounded like he said it in the heat of the game as more of a mindless immature remark, rather than a targetted racist attack. I may be REALLY wrong on that, but just watching the clip, I've heard stuff like that from youngsters all the time that don't understand the hurt it can cause and they are just trying to be edgy.

I don't know, maybe there's more to it than I know.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#1323 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:42 am

Coxy wrote:Did Leonard really mean what he said? I watched the clip, and it sounded like he said it in the heat of the game as more of a mindless immature remark, rather than a targetted racist attack. I may be REALLY wrong on that, but just watching the clip, I've heard stuff like that from youngsters all the time that don't understand the hurt it can cause and they are just trying to be edgy.

IMO, what Ant said was worse and nobody cared.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,751

Post#1324 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:05 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Coxy wrote:Did Leonard really mean what he said? I watched the clip, and it sounded like he said it in the heat of the game as more of a mindless immature remark, rather than a targetted racist attack. I may be REALLY wrong on that, but just watching the clip, I've heard stuff like that from youngsters all the time that don't understand the hurt it can cause and they are just trying to be edgy.

IMO, what Ant said was worse and nobody cared.

You just need to watch the latest twitter clips from Jalen Green that have surfaced, to realise how stupid young athletes can be. The need to be edgy and cool is real, and it makes them do and say dumb ass things that are viewed by the rest of society as really messed up. It happens, youngsters need to grow through it, not be forever villafied for it, in my humble opinion. Case by case though, maybe said person really is a dick.

Even Prince Harry once dressed up in a Nazi uniform, young rich guys can be really stupid sometimes.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#1325 » by DevinVassell » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:14 pm

If I had to guess (and yes it's a guess) he probably doesn't hate the Jewish race and just made an ignorate comment. Is there a history there?

Otherwise this cancel bs and ruining his career is a massive and typical over reaction. Meanwhile assault or waving a gun around is apparently nowhere near as bad.

How about a warning and/or educating and just moving on.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 852

Post#1326 » by hamncheese » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:18 pm

Leonard has taken a lot of steps to lean from his mistake. He actively talks about it and the wrongfulness of hate speech.

https://www.jewishchronicle.org/2023/06/30/meyers-leonard-speaks-years-after-antisemitic-slur/
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,770

Post#1327 » by cdubbz » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:16 pm

Dubs 707 wrote:Pass warriors and racism don't mix...

Meyers has since apologized and from what I remember worked with the Jewish community afterwards to have better understanding of culture and how his slur he said online is hateful.

If he truly understands what he did was wrong and hateful then I think Warriors can forgive and move on.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,440

Post#1328 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:40 pm

Those kinda things dont pop out, its either because its said a lot by him or around him. Either way, not a good look.. yeah young people say stupid **** but these things rarely jump out of thin air

At some point the Warriors have to stop condoning awful behavior.. from #40 to Draymond's punch to this.. nothing will be bad as overlooking 40s history to get some 2-way, backup, regular season minutes.
RooneyFan
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#1329 » by RooneyFan » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:23 pm

cdubbz wrote:Meyers has since apologized and from what I remember worked with the Jewish community afterwards to have better understanding of culture and how his slur he said online is hateful.

If he truly understands what he did was wrong and hateful then I think Warriors can forgive and move on.

I don't often believe apologies from pro athletes (especially when they are almost always written by a publicist), but I find this believable.

donkeylips
Analyst
And1: 1,372

Post#1330 » by donkeylips » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:30 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Those kinda things dont pop out, its either because its said a lot by him or around him. Either way, not a good look.. yeah young people say stupid **** but these things rarely jump out of thin air

At some point the Warriors have to stop condoning awful behavior.. from #40 to Draymond's punch to this.. nothing will be bad as overlooking 40s history to get some 2-way, backup, regular season minutes.

steve kerr called yao ming a racial slur on national television. he like leonard has apologized. leonard was out of the league, he served his suspension and paid his fines. im fine with the warriors signing him.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1331 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:33 pm

donkeylips wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

steve kerr called yao ming a racial slur on national television. he like leonard has apologized. leonard was out of the league, he served his suspension and paid his fines. im fine with the warriors signing him.

And you see these situations as similar?

Kerr was ignorant that it was a slur, didnt use it like one. Leonard used something that's always been a slur, in anger.

I'm not a fan of zooming out so far that things like this look similar, so as to justify it, personally
RooneyFan
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#1332 » by RooneyFan » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:41 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Leonard used something that's always been a slur, in anger.

Leonard claims that he used the slur he did in ignorance as well. He seems sincere to me in the video I posted. Of course, only he knows for certain.

I was trying to think about when I knew it was a racial slur. I was definitely an adult when I learned it was a slur and I may have been in my thirties. Maybe I lived a somewhat sheltered life when I was growing up - I don't know. But I don't remember hearing racial slurs in our house. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I learned what the N-word was when I was still at home, so I'm not sure why this particular slur was something I didn't learn until later. Also video gaming was not a thing when I was young (I remember being excited when we got Pong - that will tell you how old and decrepit I am!), so maybe it's unlikely that he wouldn't know the meaning of the slur as a video gamer.

If he's telling the truth, though, it's a shame that he's not getting much of a second chance (although the Bucks signed him last year and maybe he's too far past his prime).
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 850

Post#1333 » by marthafokker » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:41 pm

Don't forget Kerr would not support against Hong Kong police violence when he always talked about it. Yet no one cares he likes money more than support his voice.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#1334 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Jul 8, 2023 4:53 am

RooneyFan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Leonard used something that's always been a slur, in anger.

Leonard claims that he used the slur he did in ignorance as well. He seems sincere to me in the video I posted. Of course, only he knows for certain.

I was trying to think about when I knew it was a racial slur. I was definitely an adult when I learned it was a slur and I may have been in my thirties. Maybe I lived a somewhat sheltered life when I was growing up - I don't know. But I don't remember hearing racial slurs in our house. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I learned what the N-word was when I was still at home, so I'm not sure why this particular slur was something I didn't learn until later. Also video gaming was not a thing when I was young (I remember being excited when we got Pong - that will tell you how old and decrepit I am!), so maybe it's unlikely that he wouldn't know the meaning of the slur as a video gamer.

If he's telling the truth, though, it's a shame that he's not getting much of a second chance (although the Bucks signed him last year and maybe he's too far past his prime).

Its a tough sell, all things considered. I think we water down punishment for certain groups, because in other situations he'd have a hard time finding work again

If some team wants to take a shot on him, go for it.. I just dont think the Warriors should. I think they cashed in all their goodwill chips last year on #40
killmongrel
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#1335 » by killmongrel » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:37 am

I'd take Meyers Leonard and Dario Saric.
xdrta+
RealGM
And1: 7,530

Post#1336 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 8, 2023 6:06 am

Anybody like Christian Wood? Still a free agent, apparently had no offers beyond a minimum. Like Saric, waiting for something better that may not come.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 187

Post#1337 » by DaHef » Sat Jul 8, 2023 6:33 am

xdrta+ wrote:Anybody like Christian Wood? Still a free agent, apparently had no offers beyond a minimum. Like Saric, waiting for something better that may not come.

Oh hell yes, but the last rumor I saw had him linked to (who else) the Lakers.
xdrta+
RealGM
And1: 7,530

Post#1338 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 8, 2023 6:40 am

DaHef wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:Anybody like Christian Wood? Still a free agent, apparently had no offers beyond a minimum. Like Saric, waiting for something better that may not come.

Oh hell yes, but the last rumor I saw had him linked to (who else) the Lakers.

Well, they've spent their MLE and even their Bi-Annual, so all they have are minimums, same as the Warriors.
superunknown
Sixth Man
And1: 495

Post#1339 » by superunknown » Sat Jul 8, 2023 7:29 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
superunknown wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Yes, you've successfully identified the only 4 players that fit. Fantastic work. Just don't let it change how you view this situation, because that would be very stupid to try and actually ascertain the point instead of just repeating the names I've already listed as examples

Yes, sure. I could explain why this is wrong and how we run a very different defensive system from the days when we played drop and switch, but it wouldnt matter right? Youd still complain about why we arent signing extremely dumb centers that winning teams have already discarded, despite them being actual fits in those systems.. so sure. Whatever you say man

you still don't get it.
reading the comments of some experts in this thread, almost every funking player on planet earth, not only big men but also wings and guards, is not a fit here. not as a starter, but as a funking 10th 11th man on roster! there's always some flaw pointed out, either physical or technical or temperamental or BBIQ related, where the very same flaws could be pointed out for the starters of the team.
following the logic you and the others apply to almost every funking player mentioned in this thread, no one apart from steph should play for the dubs next season.

your inability to understand what they mean doesnt mean THEY are wrong

not all weaknesses are the same. A player with a severe BBIQ issue is not the same as someone with a severe shooting issue, or rebounding issue, or defense issue. Seems like the most ardent complaints are about lack of BBIQ, which makes perfect sense. So it sounds to me like, no, its you. Especially when you are citing guys like Zaza and Ezeli from entirely different defensive concepts as evidence

Do you watch football? American football?

Yes, I do watch American football. niners fan here.
donkeylips
Analyst
And1: 1,372

Post#1340 » by donkeylips » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:44 pm

With q and Joseph I know he’s not needed, but I like that ford kid from Sacramento summer league team
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.

Return to Golden State Warriors