Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1441 » by cdubbz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:17 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If Cavs let McGee go I'll happily pick him up.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,304

Post#1442 » by xdrta+ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:36 pm

cdubbz wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pass on McGee. Low BBIQ, poor team defense, will get some lobs and a few blocks. We've got a rookie that can check all those boxes, I'd rather let him get the minutes and experience.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#1443 » by DaHef » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 am

cdubbz wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So would I. When he was a W his plus/minus was very impressive. He's good for 5 minute spurts..
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#1444 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 am

I want more skilled players, Wiseman's absolute floor is above McGee.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,705

Post#1445 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:18 am

I actually think Looney and his size, length, and ability to slide his feet could do well defending AD and LeBron. I might be the only person that thinks that but I felt like some of the slow centers struggled with AD’s speed and guys like PJ Tucker just got shot over all game. Everyone always puts a smaller guy like Bazemore on LeBron that gets tossed to the ground on every drive, but it’s really the bigger guys like your James Johnson, Kawhi that do a better job.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1446 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 am

DAWill1128 wrote:I actually think Looney and his size, length, and ability to slide his feet could do well defending AD and LeBron. I might be the only person that thinks that but I felt like some of the slow centers struggled with AD’s speed and guys like PJ Tucker just got shot over all game. Everyone always puts a smaller guy like Bazemore on LeBron that gets tossed to the ground on every drive, but it’s really the bigger guys like your James Johnson, Kawhi that do a better job.

You're not.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,613

Post#1447 » by Mylie10 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:02 am

I love Looneys defense and all he needs is health and stamina. His game is good
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#1448 » by mos_def » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:36 am

DAWill1128 wrote:I actually think Looney and his size, length, and ability to slide his feet could do well defending AD and LeBron. I might be the only person that thinks that but I felt like some of the slow centers struggled with AD’s speed and guys like PJ Tucker just got shot over all game. Everyone always puts a smaller guy like Bazemore on LeBron that gets tossed to the ground on every drive, but it’s really the bigger guys like your James Johnson, Kawhi that do a better job.

His feet and length are not the problem. Its his hips and shoulders
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1449 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 am

Looney's middle name is "if healthy".
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1450 » by tal57 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:1. Oubre couldn't have blocked the trade. He didn't have a no-trade clause (there's only ~5 players or so in the league that do).
2. Ibaka was a free agent, so he could not be acquired via the TPE. (This has been covered in approximately 7,500 threads on this board.) The most money we could have offered him is the taxpayer's MLE, or $5.7M, which probably wouldn't have been enough to get it done.

Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.

If Klay was healthy, and Oubre was traded to us, we'd undoubtably have been a title contender. He seems to be a smart guy from what I'm seeing in his interviews, and a smart guy would know that being a key contributor on a title contender is probably going to help his value more than getting 6 more minutes and 5 empty points/game somewhere else.

We're all speculating, but the argument of "he wouldn't want to join a title contender because he might not be the featured guy in a contract year" seems flawed to me. Ginobili did pretty well coming off the bench, and GM's want winners these days, more than they like guys who get points on non-contenders.

Well, than lets not put the carriage before the horse and forget how Oubre would have felt being traded here with the healthy Klay. You think the Warriors management would have initiated the trade costing them 80 mil for a backup wing, when they were concentrating on the bigs first and foremost with healthy Klay? I very, very much doubt that. That trade had only happened when they had to immediately and urgently pivot from Klay's injury, after fully learning of its damage extend.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1451 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 pm

tal57 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Oubre can't block a trade but he can make it a problem for the team he's going to.

If Klay was healthy, and Oubre was traded to us, we'd undoubtably have been a title contender. He seems to be a smart guy from what I'm seeing in his interviews, and a smart guy would know that being a key contributor on a title contender is probably going to help his value more than getting 6 more minutes and 5 empty points/game somewhere else.

We're all speculating, but the argument of "he wouldn't want to join a title contender because he might not be the featured guy in a contract year" seems flawed to me. Ginobili did pretty well coming off the bench, and GM's want winners these days, more than they like guys who get points on non-contenders.

Well, than lets not put the carriage before the horse and forget how Oubre would have felt being traded here with the healthy Klay. You think the Warriors management would have initiated the trade costing them 80 mil for a backup wing, when they were concentrating on the bigs first and foremost with healthy Klay? I very, very much doubt that. That trade had only happened when they had to immediately and urgently pivot from Klay's injury, after fully learning of its damage extend.

Not sure we're going to get much farther than this, but we have absolutely no idea what transactions the Warriors would have made if Klay's injury hadn't happened; you're supposing that they were going after bigs, but I'll note that the 2 "bigs" that they appeared to be interested in (Ibaka and Gasol) couldn't have been acquired via the TPE because they're free agents, and it would have been the ultimate "I'm putting the league on notice" flex to spend on somebody like Oubre to give us what would be pretty undoubtably the strongest wing group in the league (between Klay, Wiggins, and Oubre). And that's exactly the kind of thing Lacob likes doing. (Plus...... being honest, if Klay hadn't been injured and the Warriors traded for Oubre, do you think Gasol WOULDN'T have come here for the MLE, now that you see he took the minimum to go to the Lakers?)

It's all speculation, but diverts from the point of "how would Oubre actually have reacted if forced to play a slightly lesser role on a title contender". Neither of us knows.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1452 » by tal57 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:01 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
tal57 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:If Klay was healthy, and Oubre was traded to us, we'd undoubtably have been a title contender. He seems to be a smart guy from what I'm seeing in his interviews, and a smart guy would know that being a key contributor on a title contender is probably going to help his value more than getting 6 more minutes and 5 empty points/game somewhere else.

Not sure we're going to get much farther than this, but we have absolutely no idea what transactions the Warriors would have made if Klay's injury hadn't happened; you're supposing that they were going after bigs, but I'll note that the 2 "bigs" that they appeared to be interested in (Ibaka and Gasol) couldn't have been acquired via the TPE because they're free agents, and it would have been the ultimate "I'm putting the league on notice" flex to spend on somebody like Oubre to give us what would be pretty undoubtably the strongest wing group in the league (between Klay, Wiggins, and Oubre). And that's exactly the kind of thing Lacob likes doing. (Plus...... being honest, if Klay hadn't been injured and the Warriors traded for Oubre, do you think Gasol WOULDN'T have come here for the MLE, now that you see he took the minimum to go to the Lakers?)

It's all speculation, but diverts from the point of "how would Oubre actually have reacted if forced to play a slightly lesser role on a title contender". Neither of us knows.

Kerr admits Klay's injury 100% triggered Oubre trade.
There you have it, from the horse's mouth.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,586

Post#1453 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:06 am

Hollow stats, stat padder, blah blah blah, but Sacramento just signed Hassan Whiteside for 1 year at the league minimum. For anything close to that price, I have to think he could have been helpful. Huh.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,696

Post#1454 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:43 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Hollow stats, stat padder, blah blah blah, but Sacramento just signed Hassan Whiteside for 1 year at the league minimum. For anything close to that price, I have to think he could have been helpful. Huh.

The issue with Whiteside is the person himself. Whiteside would want to start and would probably take offense at not closing games. He wouldn’t be a good vet presence for Wiseman and probably would struggle to understand why Looney or Chriss play over him.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1455 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:34 am

Whiteside doesn’t come off as the helpful vet to me.

If we want a big man coach, go get Bogut
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,586

Post#1456 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:35 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Hollow stats, stat padder, blah blah blah, but Sacramento just signed Hassan Whiteside for 1 year at the league minimum. For anything close to that price, I have to think he could have been helpful. Huh.

The issue with Whiteside is the person himself. Whiteside would want to start and would probably take offense at not closing games. He wouldn’t be a good vet presence for Wiseman and probably would struggle to understand why Looney or Chriss play over him.

I honestly might struggle to understand that as well. Look, I'm glad that Looney and Chriss should be able to stay on an NBA roster and play some minutes. Chriss still has room for unproven upside. But I think it is entirely possible, maybe even probable, that Whiteside is a better player than either of them. And if he had a bad attitude, and was getting paid a minimum contract, then we'd just boot him.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1457 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:43 am

Kerr and Myers have both spoke of high character guys to try and add. You can’t do that 100%, hit that could be a reason many teams have driven past his house
Khoee wrote “
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#1458 » by donkeylips » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:26 am

Lakers, clippers, nets, rockets and jazz are listed as interested in Glenn Robinson iii. I know he can’t shoot but mkg is still there.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1459 » by xdrta+ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:18 am

Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1460 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:40 am

Mylie10 wrote:Kerr and Myers have both spoke of high character guys to try and add. You can’t do that 100%, hit that could be a reason many teams have driven past his house

Supposedly Whiteside and Howards each had exactly one team express interest. Bad character guys are getting valued correctly by NBA teams finally.

Return to Golden State Warriors