ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1561 » by donkeylips » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:12 am

Are the warriors able to sign g league players to a ten day contract or bring someone up? Or once they enter the bubble they stay there till March
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1562 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:13 am

donkeylips wrote:Are the warriors able to sign g league players to a ten day contract or bring someone up? Or once they enter the bubble they stay there till March

The Warriors are already at the maximum roster size (15 active + 2 two-way deals), so they can’t sign anybody to any kind of contract without removing someone else.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#1563 » by xdrta+ » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:46 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
donkeylips wrote:Are the warriors able to sign g league players to a ten day contract or bring someone up? Or once they enter the bubble they stay there till March

The Warriors are already at the maximum roster size (15 active + 2 two-way deals), so they can’t sign anybody to any kind of contract without removing someone else.

Pretty easy to waive Chriss.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1564 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Feb 2, 2021 10:37 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

Pretty easy to waive Chriss.

True, but I believe that they lose Bird rights to Chriss if they waive him. They'd still be able to re-sign him (if he wants to come back next year), but his salary would go against the MLE, which then limits how much would remain for other potential signees.......
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#1565 » by tarantism » Thu Feb 4, 2021 3:04 am

Are we really not going to sign anybody?

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,163

Post#1566 » by TB » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:24 pm

tarantism wrote:Are we really not going to sign anybody?

Pretty sure they would have to waive someone.

Not sure why we bother having Poole and Smiley on the roster, but doesn't seem like the front office wants to admit failure there yet...

Also, with covid protocol, by the time someone is able to play, we probably get Wiseman back. So I think we are going to see alot of Dray/Paschall at center for the next 4 games or so. If Smiley is healthy, i have no idea why he wouldn't be brought into the team instead of the g league camp.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#1567 » by donkeylips » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:33 pm

im against waiving chriss. i like what i saw last season, and hes definitely matured since his phoenix days. if looney opts out next season, he will be vital as wisemans cheap backup.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1568 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 4, 2021 9:13 pm

TB wrote:

Not sure why we bother having Poole and Smiley on the roster, but doesn't seem like the front office wants to admit failure there yet...

Also, with covid protocol, by the time someone is able to play, we probably get Wiseman back. So I think we are going to see alot of Dray/Paschall at center for the next 4 games or so. If Smiley is healthy, i have no idea why he wouldn't be brought into the team instead of the g league camp.

I'm willing to wait it out on Poole. When his shooting stroke is on, he's not bad. Just hasnt had consistent opportunities next to Steph, which would be kinda ideal for someone like him

Smiley.. if we arent bringing him now, when? We're literally going to start a lineup where every one of our starters is as tall, or smaller than the 2nd smallest Mav. Only Josh Richardson at 6'5 is shorter than ANY of our starters.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1569 » by xdrta+ » Thu Feb 4, 2021 9:13 pm

donkeylips wrote:im against waiving chriss. i like what i saw last season, and hes definitely matured since his phoenix days. if looney opts out next season, he will be vital as wisemans cheap backup.

Chriss is a FA after this season. We can still sign him. I can't see other teams rushing to offer him a deal.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1570 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 4, 2021 9:14 pm

donkeylips wrote:im against waiving chriss. i like what i saw last season, and hes definitely matured since his phoenix days. if looney opts out next season, he will be vital as wisemans cheap backup.

We have no rights on Chriss, and he's a minimum contract. Who just broke his leg. Who's a free agent. Releasing him would be procedural if anything.

But clearly there's a mandate to not spend any more money thanks to Kelly Oubre
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#1571 » by tarantism » Thu Feb 4, 2021 9:25 pm

TB wrote:

I forgot about the protocol. Makes sense not to bring anybody new if they expect Wiseman to get back by then anyway.

As far as Smiley, who knows if he's healthy. I know he's supposed to be in the GLeague bubble but I haven't heard anything about him actually practicing.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1572 » by xdrta+ » Thu Feb 4, 2021 9:28 pm

tarantism wrote:
TB wrote:

I forgot about the protocol. Makes sense not to bring anybody new if they expect Wiseman to get back by then anyway.

As far as Smiley, who knows if he's healthy. I know he's supposed to be in the GLeague bubble but I haven't heard anything about him actually practicing.

They're in quarantine in the bubble so they may not have started practice yet. Smiley had surgery exactly 4 weeks ago, so he may not be ready for a while yet. The G league schedule is only a month long, it may take him that long to get in shape.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#1573 » by tarantism » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:27 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
tarantism wrote:
TB wrote:

They're in quarantine in the bubble so they may not have started practice yet. Smiley had surgery exactly 4 weeks ago, so he may not be ready for a while yet. The G league schedule is only a month long, it may take him that long to get in shape.

Well he's my favorite player so I look forwards to the bubble. No matter what, he'll be entertaining. Got my Smilagic city jersey in the mail today! It's his time!!
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#1574 » by Hopper15 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 4:40 pm

Good call. Chriss is Looney insurance and will likely be kept for early bird rights.

Mulder isn't fully guaranteed until 2/27. He is the one on the hot seat for the next 3 weeks. If he survives that, everything is up in the air.

They may need to convert Juan to a full roster spot at some point to be playoff eligible.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#1575 » by xdrta+ » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:13 pm

Hopper15 wrote:

Good call. Chriss is Looney insurance and will likely be kept for early bird rights.

Mulder isn't fully guaranteed until 2/27. He is the one on the hot seat for the next 3 weeks. If he survives that, everything is up in the air.

They may need to convert Juan to a full roster spot at some point to be playoff eligible.

No one is signing Chriss for more than the minimum so I don't think it's a risk to cut him. If they want JTA for the playoffs they can cut someone right up to the last day of the season -- things may look a lot different by then.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1576 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 5:18 pm

All those points are valid.

I’d probably wave Chriss, but not until I had a long talk with him and let him know that if he wants, he’s in our plans for next season. And that the waving has nothing to do with him, but the roster while he is out.

It’s not like teams are going to lineup to grab him after a season ending injury.

Then a final decision on Smiley has to be made. Either get his ass on the court, or get him out of here. The roster spot is killing us.

Then I think I have to think hard about moving Paschall. And not because I don’t like him, but it’s more about having some value and him not a great fit.

Poole would be gone if it were up to me. But he has a chance and it seems they like him some. Probably also want to try and save face. But I’d move him in an instant for something that opens up the roster and also fits longer term. Like adding him into a deal just to get the roster spot. But maybe he puts it together in a way he can be trusted.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#1577 » by Hopper15 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 6:18 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Hopper15 wrote:

No one is signing Chriss for more than the minimum so I don't think it's a risk to cut him. If they want JTA for the playoffs they can cut someone right up to the last day of the season -- things may look a lot different by then.

That may be true. But he is free to sign anywhere and possibly into a better role situation. They need to prepare to overbid if they want to retain him.

Mulder is the low hanging fruit for the next 3 weeks.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#1578 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:49 pm

Vonleh going to the Nets.
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#1579 » by TrueFan420 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:39 am

Mylie10 wrote:All those points are valid.

I’d probably wave Chriss, but not until I had a long talk with him and let him know that if he wants, he’s in our plans for next season. And that the waving has nothing to do with him, but the roster while he is out.

It’s not like teams are going to lineup to grab him after a season ending injury.

Then a final decision on Smiley has to be made. Either get his ass on the court, or get him out of here. The roster spot is killing us.

Then I think I have to think hard about moving Paschall. And not because I don’t like him, but it’s more about having some value and him not a great fit.

Poole would be gone if it were up to me. But he has a chance and it seems they like him some. Probably also want to try and save face. But I’d move him in an instant for something that opens up the roster and also fits longer term. Like adding him into a deal just to get the roster spot. But maybe he puts it together in a way he can be trusted.

I’d take it a step further with Chriss and let him know whatever his decision he can still rehab with our medical staff and facility for the remainder of the year.

We really need the roster space and with him and Klay both out we’re short. He’s the clear cut, cut.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#1580 » by shazam_guy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:53 am

I hope we hang onto him. He was turning into an energy guy off the bench, but one who was contributing in the ordinary ways, too.

Return to Golden State Warriors