ImageImageImageImageImage

DRAFT THREAD part II: Come Together.... Right Now....

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

r8rrich12
Junior
And1: 2

Re: DRAFT THREAD: Could it be I'm falling in love? 

Post#21 » by r8rrich12 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 am

EvanZ wrote:
r8rrich12 wrote:... could just be another Udoh that goes for the block so much that it leaves him out of position to rebound at a decent clip...

You mean another guy who plays actual defense instead of waiting for other guys to do it and pick up their rebounds like David Lee?

Note that when Udoh was in there, we actually had a decent defensive rating (104.6). When he wasn't in there, we were horrible (112.4).

A 104.6 DRTG would have placed us right in between LA and Dallas this season. Not saying we would have that for a full season, but to actually criticize a guy who is already our best defensive player by a mile seems pretty awkward to me.

Let me be clear... I'm not saying we couldn't benefit from having another Udoh type on the roster... we could use all the defensive help we could get... I would be very happy with a Biyombo pick... and it wasn't even criticism if you actually read the entire post. I just think we could use a little defensive versatility going forward. We already have a shot block supreme with Udoh... we could REALLY use a shutdown wing defender to spell Dorell. We could really use a shutdown guard to spell Monta/Steph minutes. I don't care how we obtain these 3 pieces, just make it happen Lacob/Riley/West/Myers. Hopefully Biedrins comes back but I'm not counting on it. If Biyombo is avail at 11, make it happen... but if I was GS, I would find a way to acquire Singleton as well... b/c that's exactly the type of toughness the Warriors need.
3-Ball Corner Pocket
The Hack
Rookie
And1: 269

Re: DRAFT THREAD: Could it be I'm falling in love? 

Post#22 » by The Hack » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:27 am

r8rrich12 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
r8rrich12 wrote:... could just be another Udoh that goes for the block so much that it leaves him out of position to rebound at a decent clip...

You mean another guy who plays actual defense instead of waiting for other guys to do it and pick up their rebounds like David Lee?

Note that when Udoh was in there, we actually had a decent defensive rating (104.6). When he wasn't in there, we were horrible (112.4).

A 104.6 DRTG would have placed us right in between LA and Dallas this season. Not saying we would have that for a full season, but to actually criticize a guy who is already our best defensive player by a mile seems pretty awkward to me.

Let me be clear... I'm not saying we couldn't benefit from having another Udoh type on the roster... we could use all the defensive help we could get... I would be very happy with a Biyombo pick... and it wasn't even criticism if you actually read the entire post. I just think we could use a little defensive versatility going forward. We already have a shot block supreme with Udoh... we could REALLY use a shutdown wing defender to spell Dorell. We could really use a shutdown guard to spell Monta/Steph minutes. I don't care how we obtain these 3 pieces, just make it happen Lacob/Riley/West/Myers. Hopefully Biedrins comes back but I'm not counting on it. If Biyombo is avail at 11, make it happen... but if I was GS, I would find a way to acquire Singleton as well... b/c that's exactly the type of toughness the Warriors need.

I agree...that's why I'll be bummed if we don't get Singleton. He could be Artest without the crazies. Talk about a perfect fit...he could definitely spell D Wright, but I also think he could play PF for brief stints as well when the timing is right. 6'9" with a bad-ass attitude...sign me up
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: DRAFT THREAD part II: Come Together.... Right Now.... 

Post#23 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 am

Depending on the tides and phases of the moon and how much coffee I've had, I switch back and forth between wanting Biyombo, Singleton, and Tristan Thompson. All three can help improve our defense.

If I were the GM, I would pick the guy who they think has the best chance of being a starter. Period. We don't have a good enough starting 5 right now. If the logic in picking Klay Thompson is that he's going to replace Monta, that's one thing. If the logic is that he "can provide a scorer off the bench", I'm not down with that. It's just not our biggest problem right now. Our biggest problem is that we have 3.5 bad defenders (giving Dorell a little bit of leeway, because at least he has the physical tools to improve given proper coaching). Something has to be done about this.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,107

Post#24 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 am

If Jerry West thinks Klay Thompson is the guy we should take him.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#25 » by Quazza » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:47 am

Twinkie defense wrote:If Jerry West thinks Klay Thompson is the guy we should take him.

any Info on him Twink? Only started hearing about him thought reports of us loving him. What Im getting is that he's not athletic, but long. Not a good defender but a great shooter and plays smart. One article had him "In the Mullin/Brandon Roy" mold
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
r8rrich12
Junior
And1: 2

Post#26 » by r8rrich12 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 am

I don't know if there will be any bonafide starters at #11, but a lot of these guys can help our team a bunch as ROLE PLAYERS early on, which is why I'm pretty excited for next week. If we draft Klay Thompson, I'll break something valuable. If we trade Monta, I'll break something valuable, but hope we get Kanter + something significant in return.
3-Ball Corner Pocket
Daminger
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Daminger » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:40 am

Ben Wallace made it to multiple all star games and is very bad free throw shooter - i dont recall him being the focus of multiple foul sessions with the pistons playing small ball throughout the playoffs each year.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,167

Post#28 » by TB » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 am

In the two games I've seen Biyombo play, he was a huge difference maker. Noticeable difference in athletic ability, yet managed to still play within the system.

Kinda reminded me of some of those good AR games only without the "winging it" mentality. AR was in his own world but pulled off some crazy stuff. BB just played crazy help D and finished with dunks playing the garbage man roll.

Ibaka is one of my favorites, and has a much higher upside, but in a VERY similar situation, I was more impressed with Biyombo than I was with Ibaka in the ACB. And that's after being ridiculously high on Ibaka.

Wallace is a pretty good comparison IMO. Even a smaller Howard has a littttttle offensive ability. Wallace and BB have none.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#29 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:49 am

I don't know anything about Klay Thompson, just what people in the League and our beat reporters have been saying.

This would be a draft to load up on lower draft picks if you can get them cheaply and use those guys instead of the regular D-Leaguers.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#30 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 am

If he's Ben Wallace sign me up, but Ben Wallace is a rare, rare player.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#31 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:35 am

Klay or Marcus look good .... I like Marcus for his low post potential...Warriors have two players that might give you low post..Monta and maybe Udoh....Having a big gurad that can post up would help.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#32 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 am

I like Klay, but I want defense and then I want more defense. I don't care if we score 80 ppg as long as we win.

Singleton is still the guy. Solid gold.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,167

Post#33 » by TB » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:38 am

Twinkie defense wrote:If he's Ben Wallace sign me up, but Ben Wallace is a rare, rare player.

Yup. And there is no guarantee he becomes that good... But his ceiling is legit. And those are the Adam Dunn swings you are willing to take.

Klay at best is rip Hamilton. And I'd say BB has a better shot at being Ben than klay does at being rip. Much better.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,667

Post#34 » by Coxy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I like Klay, but I want defense and then I want more defense. I don't care if we score 80 ppg as long as we win.

Singleton is still the guy. Solid gold.

If we're not moving up then it's all aboard the Singleton train for me. Let's ride that **** to the draft Mac.
Daminger
Sophomore

Post#35 » by Daminger » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 am

I'm drunk and I want Biyombo. Enough said.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#36 » by DIO » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 am

Biyombo led the ACB First Division in blocked shots per game while playing only 17 minutes a contest .
In his workout , he also showed an offensive game that might include less than Ben Wallace .
"We witnessed a tornado jump shot that spun sideways in the workout ," Fraschilla said .
"It was unusual . "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1JV0JL.DTL

I want to see that "tornado jump shot" :lol:
Take him!
Indy2thaWindy
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#37 » by Indy2thaWindy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 am

killacalijatt wrote:taking him at 14 is too early I say take Bismack or Jimmer at 11 tell Indy to take Klay at 15

Beans, #11-Bismack or Freddette
for
#15-Klay THompson, Daughty Jones

Warriors save 7mill **** id even do Bell we still unload 4mill giving us around 11mill in free agency

One problem. Pacers don't want Klay. Marshon Brooks killed him in their workout. Everybody in Indiana knows Larry Bird wants Brooks.
krwzmann
Sophomore

Post#38 » by krwzmann » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:03 pm

I liked the idea of Biyombo. Worried he might just be an Adonal Foyle Plus. He's well spoken too just like Ambassador Foyle lol
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,613

Post#39 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 pm

EvanZ wrote:Depending on the tides and phases of the moon and how much coffee I've had, I switch back and forth between wanting Biyombo, Singleton, and Tristan Thompson. All three can help improve our defense.

If I were the GM, I would pick the guy who they think has the best chance of being a starter. Period. We don't have a good enough starting 5 right now. If the logic in picking Klay Thompson is that he's going to replace Monta, that's one thing. If the logic is that he "can provide a scorer off the bench", I'm not down with that. It's just not our biggest problem right now. Our biggest problem is that we have 3.5 bad defenders (giving Dorell a little bit of leeway, because at least he has the physical tools to improve given proper coaching). Something has to be done about this.

Same here...I like all 3 for us, and all 3 will help us defensively...Tristan Thompson probably has the highest upside, but that don't mean $hit if it doesn't happen. with Singleton comes a lunch pail and if he developes the 3 point shot, then it's all gravy for 10+ years.

biyombo is intriguing, but like Somebody else said, we already have udoh. I think Biyombo's the far superior rebounder, but Udoh's gonna have more offensive polish. I hate that Biyombo can't shoot an effing FT, that makes picking him a little tougher. also heard that his strength level is damn good already, so he'll play right away too.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#40 » by yehyeh82 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Watching the 1987 draft on nbatv, real interesting draft. David Robinson went #1 even though he couldn't play for a couple of years due to Navy commitments and I see Mark Jackson sitting in the crowd waiting to get picked. Rick Berry is one of the announcers.

One of the funniest things is the #5 pick when Stern says "with the 5th pick, the Sonics select Scot Pippen out of Central Arkansas." The announcer then replies "well, you've probably never heard of Scot Pippen." I just found it a little ironic, because we sure have now. Sometimes those small school guys can pan out.
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown

Return to Golden State Warriors