ImageImageImageImageImage

Adjustments for Game 3

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: Adjustments for Game 3 

Post#21 » by Left*My*Heart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Yep, there are no adjustments you can make when your starters are sucking so badly.

The comment that we need a big body to put on Griffin aren't suited to play. We could use Festus and Bogut in this series.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,403

Post#22 » by Onus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Crawford was our 2nd PG for several weeks of the regular season. It was a traveshamockery. If he played that lineup last night it would have sucked like it always did and you'd be bashing him for it as well.

There was no lineup solution to the starters bending over. If you want to hang that on him as a preparation issue fine, but claiming that there was an x's and o's solution to what happened last night is wishful thinking. This is not a videogame simulation. There isn't a series of buttons you can press from the sideline to get a desired outcome (other than Curry's cheat code.) The players have to deliver.

P.S. whenever Curry does decide to show up for the series it will be a nice surprise.

Crawford was our 2nd pg passing to Barnes, Green, Bazemore. Being a pg and passing to Curry, Klay is a completely different scenario. He was able to play pg for the Celtics to the tune of 13 and 7. Really though he's just another playmaker that can score when there are other options on the floor with him. Someone needs to be able to make a play when all the attention is being paid to Curry and Klay off the ball. The only person capable of doing so with the ball in their hands is Crawford.

Yes, it would be nice for Curry to show up at some point. Hopefully that 3rd quarter is a glimpse of Curry seeing a seam.

We ran that lineup for a few minutes in the regular season. They gave up 1.22 points per possession. Do not want.

Sample size. Most of those minutes are with no real bigs, meaning Lee, Oneal.

Also offensively they weren't playing the roles that I had laid out.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,403

Post#23 » by Onus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Yep, there are no adjustments you can make when your starters are sucking so badly.

The comment that we need a big body to put on Griffin aren't suited to play. We could use Festus and Bogut in this series.

No adjustments to make?

We've been building a huge deficit at the beginning of each game so far. Either the starters just suck, they aren't ready to play at the beginning or the lineup isn't really optimal against their starters.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#24 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Onus wrote:
Crawford was our 2nd pg passing to Barnes, Green, Bazemore. Being a pg and passing to Curry, Klay is a completely different scenario. He was able to play pg for the Celtics to the tune of 13 and 7. Really though he's just another playmaker that can score when there are other options on the floor with him. Someone needs to be able to make a play when all the attention is being paid to Curry and Klay off the ball. The only person capable of doing so with the ball in their hands is Crawford.

Yes, it would be nice for Curry to show up at some point. Hopefully that 3rd quarter is a glimpse of Curry seeing a seam.

We ran that lineup for a few minutes in the regular season. They gave up 1.22 points per possession. Do not want.

Sample size. Most of those minutes are with no real bigs, meaning Lee, Oneal.

Also offensively they weren't playing the roles that I had laid out.

Crawford is a junkballer. He will run hot and cold whether passing or shooting. It's not an important lineup. Blake needs to make plays. He's the other PG on the roster.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#25 » by RoyalMajesty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm

It's already adjusted. We got home court advantage for Game 3 :wink:

1) The Clippers are 3-15 for the last 9 years at Oracle Arena.
2) The Clippers are 1-5 with Chris Paul for the last 3 years playing at Oracle Arena.
3) Chris Paul played only 5 games at Oracle Arena for the last 3 years and is 1-4 there.
4) Doc Rivers been 2-9 for the last 10 years at Oracle Arena including 2-7 for the 9 years as the head coach of the Boston Celtics.
Rob Rowell
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#26 » by Rob Rowell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Alright, let me coach you'll up a little. In game 1 our game plan was effective mainly because of how we attacked the Clipper Pick n Roll. Clippers 100% sold out to the double team on Curry, essentially making it a 4 on 3 game(win us). Pairing that up with Blake Griffin playing 20 minutes made us just good enough to take that game.

Offensively
Adjustment #1
Game 2 Doc Rivers made a big adjustment on defending Curry. The Big shoots up(complete overplay) to take away the 3 until the guard can recover. THIS is the first adjustment thats key, STEPH has to take the overplaying big off the dribble/colapse the defense or we have no chance. He finally saw this in the 3rd quarter and was very effective.

Adjustment #2
Both games we started off trying to get everyone a designed play ESPECIALLY LEE who killed us both games in the beginning. Thats out the window now, our game plan is Steph from minute 1. Everyone else besides Klay gets their touches in the flow of the offense. The iso's need to keep to a minimum. Keeping a high pace game is the only shot we have in this series.

Defensively
Adjustment #3
Time to play straight up on the perimeter (Steph on CP, Klay on Reddick, Dre on Barnes). Yes Klay and Dre are great individual defenders but having them face guard CP and Reddick means were losing out on their help defense. We can't double-team Blake when Curry is the rotation man on Deandre(its just a lob dunk), Klay/Dre can put a body on him.

Adjustment #4
Blake gets doubled in the post from the weak side.

I got faith that Jackson will make the necessary changes for this team to bounce back AT HOME in front of OUR CROWD. We did our job in LA (got that game) and this team is seasoned enough to move on from last game, knowing its a 7 game series.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#27 » by Ganji » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Jester_ wrote:I want more Draymond on Blake. Let DeAndre feed.

He was eating Drayomond alive. Sadly Draymond is not long or strong enough to do anything to him.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#28 » by bakesale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Onus wrote:1) Starts. Twice now that starting lineup has killed our starts. He needs to make an adjustment there. Either switch the matchups or sit someone. Switching the match up should force a cross match between JO and Blake and Jordan vs Lee. I would expect this more so from Jackson than actually switching the starting lineup. Though I'm not sure Jackson will make a change.

2) Defense on Steph. They're playing Steph for his jumpshot, so he has to make the adjustment to take it to the rack. It look like he realized this in the 3rd last night. If he's being forced to take it to the rack I would space the floor for him and make Deandre and Blake play in space.

3) Defense on Blake. We need to put a bigger body on Blake. A bigger body on Blake forces more jumpshots from him. He sees Dray or Lee on him and he's putting his head down and bullying his way through and get right to the cup.

I'll come up with some more later

I agree with what you're saying.

I think Oneal and Speights should be guarding Griffin and only sometimes Green. They should back off of him at all times and just give him the jump shot in the way that Bogut did when he was guarding him. I think there was a game where we won by 20 points and Bogut was doing just that, giving him the jumper. He nailed quite a few early in the game but was a non factor in the second half and wasn't executing when he tried to bully his way into the paint. That's a good example of when he looked a bit out of control and it was because Bogut kept him out of the paint to begin with that worked.

As for Curry, as much as a lot of you don't like isos I think with Curry it'd be better to have him iso and take his man one on one rather than set those screens. Every time we set a screen they find a way to trap him and it's a constant dog fight just to get out of the trap and everyone gets flustered and out of sync, especially curry. There was the odd occasion where he'd break free and he'd make a great play, but for the most part he was really trapped and was forced into a tough pass, an overly difficult shot or a turnover. Just don't let him get trapped in the first place and we do that with good spacing and no screens.
I say we start off the front foot, call a straight up iso from the top of the key and let Curry make a play from there. He has to have the attitude of scoring first, make them stop our best scorer from scoring, if the help comes then he can pass and find open cutters or shooters. I think making curry the aggressor on offence via isos will force them to adjust to us early on and not the other way around. He can't passively stand at the perimeter, get trapped and pass out of the double team and start our offence on the back foot. We must start our offence on the front foot.

We have to play tight on their perimeter players especially guys like Reddick. Make guys like him into a driver rather than a shooter if we have to because guys like him ALWAYS prefer jump shots.

Our other 2 biggest problems right now is fouling and costly turnovers. Basic, obvious things like finding the pg in transition rather than trying to be a hero and take it all the way yourself but don't force a pass if it isn't there. Stay calm and concentrate on the basics and don't try to do anything fancy unless you already have a big lead. All of our players need to stay out of foul trouble early. I think we should maybe do almost a rope a dope type strategy. Well not as extreme as rope a dope but the kind of strategy where we don't foul them, if they some how beat us into the lane then don't be stupid and foul them. If you get beaten, you get beaten in the first half, just don't bail them out with fouls early on. Fouling early on actually slows the game down and we are a team that plays well with a higher pace so who cares if they score, just run back down and score on them and keep the pace up high. Fouling early on puts us into foul trouble obviously but gives them the rhythm and forces us to play soft in the second half because everyone is in foul trouble. THEN, assuming we are in striking distance late in the game, then all of a sudden give maximum effort on defence. Swipe at the ball, take charges, foul hard if they get into the paint but always go for the block first. Give them hell at the end of the game and it'll totally throw them into a tail spin. Have guys like barnes and Iggy leak out for breakaway dunks and boom, that'll be our knock out punch right there.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#29 » by Ganji » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:The comment that we need a big body to put on Griffin aren't suited to play. We could use Festus and Bogut in this series.

So what happened with Festus? I thought he should be back before play offs, and now it looks like he is done for whole season.
gswhoop
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#30 » by gswhoop » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Starters: Klay -Curry -Green -Lee -JO

Sub in accordance to fatigue or matchup

MO
AI
Barnes
Blake

Wow I would never advocate for MO but the dude is playing his heart out.
Keith not so Smart
Mark don't know JACK about coaching..
Kerr Riding Coattails
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#31 » by bakesale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Blake scored at will on Draymond in the paint, did you not see that? You need a big low post defender like JO on him to not allow him to score on the low block. Keep him out of the paint and force him into a jump shooter. Yes he's improved his outside jump shot but it's still a lower percentage shot than him getting in the paint where he either scores at will or we get our players into foul trouble.
Xplatformer
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#32 » by Xplatformer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Here's an idea.

DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER 26 TIMES

Loose hands and lackluster passing have hurt this team all year. Yet people seldom bring it up because it's a part of "the Warrior's game"

You turn the damn ball over you're going to lose
:banghead:
In 1971, the team moved across the Bay Area to Oakland, and changed its geographic name to Golden State to symbolize the team as representative of the entire state of California
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#33 » by LeonGenesis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm

I say attack CP3 with his injured hamstring. And rough up Griffen.... Eliminate their two best players and we win...of course...we need Splash Brothers to be hot as well.

And the crowds need to throw water at Griffin so he can be scared :)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#34 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 am

Maybe we can stop playing directly into the Clippers' hands? It took one game for Doc to adjust to Jackson's 'strategy', and we couldn't counter.

Jermaine O Neal got lunched, crushed, eaten and spat out, by Jordan. Draymond Green didn't. Look for JO to start game 3.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#35 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 am

Ganji wrote:

He was eating Drayomond alive. Sadly Draymond is not long or strong enough to do anything to him.

I hope you mean Griffin... because he did. Its a terrible matchup for Green. Jordan is a far better one, yet Green only guarded him on switches in game 2, after holding his own in game 1.

Mark Jackson is the anti-Nellie, and that's exactly what we don't need as an underdog with an injured starter.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#36 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:10 am

Execute.

Play physical off the ball. Don't let them get in a rhythm.

Help on Griffin and/or make him earn it at the line.

Crush up some Adderall and snort it.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Amazing Curry
Starter
And1: 65

Post#37 » by Amazing Curry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 am

The team needs to be more aggressive right off the bat. The crowd will help them do that, but they need to be able to do the same on the road.

I'd double Griffin the moment he tries to make a move. Not as aggressive as we did for Dirk in the playoffs in 07, but to a similar degree.

Hack-a-Jordan might actually be effective. The crowd will definitely play a factor in Deandre's FT shooting.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,602

Post#38 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 am

FireNellieQuick wrote:Maybe we can stop playing directly into the Clippers' hands? It took one game for Doc to adjust to Jackson's 'strategy', and we couldn't counter.

2 explanations for that:

1) Jackson isn't good with strategy, may not even have the capacity to recognize what adjustments are necessary and execute them (that was often the case during th regular season).
2) Jackson spent Easter preaching a sermon while Rivers was drawing up adjustments for the game.

I'm not really expecting many adjustments for Game 3 either, except the Warriors will probably by default play better than in Game 2 and it's unlikely the Clippers will play quite as well.
Azyattic Dee
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#39 » by Azyattic Dee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 am

get Ezeli a few morphine shots and put him on blake...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

-Mark Twain
uteptwostep
Lead Assistant
And1: 56

Post#40 » by uteptwostep » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:50 am

Start Green & Lee, spread the floor on offense. Curry takes his man off the dribble (no screen) or runs pick and roll with Klay or Iguodala, whoever Reddick or Crawford is guarding. No more bringing Blake and Jordan up to Curry, he can't pass through them. Clips are overplaying passing lanes and trying to block every shot. Be patient, give a pump fake, go back door.

On defense, send doubles at Griffin all night, different players from different angles every time, forcing Barnes or Paul to shoot from the outside, don't leave Reddick or Crawford from three and box Jordan off from the lob / offensive boards. Double teams need to force turnovers to get us into transition.

Finally, when somebody clothes lines Curry a W's big needs to step up and put one of their players on the floor. Bogut ain't here to do it, so somebody needs to man up.

Return to Golden State Warriors