ImageImageImageImageImage

is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,219

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#41 » by watch1958 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 am

HiRez wrote:Klay #6 in 3PA, #222 in 3P%.
Scared of going inside? Before last year, 2pt shots were always more than half of his FGA. Lowest for a season was 53%. Last season it fell to 48.5%

This season only 36% of his FGAs are two pointers. Probably harder to get good looks if you never attack the close out or drive.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,424

Post#42 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:46 pm

he had 7 boards last night tho, that might be a career high
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#43 » by HiRez » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:18 pm

Not giving up on Klay yet because last year Steph went through about 3 whole months shooting between 33% and 37% from 3 and obviously he turned it around. My issue is if Klay's problem is not getting enough lift from his legs as he works back into shape, chucking 3s at a crazy rate probably doesn't help that much. Maybe cut down on the 3s and let the act of running around the court 3 games a week get the conditioning back, then start ramping up the 3 volume once the legs are back in shape.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 16,167

Post#44 » by floppymoose » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Steph's slump was mental. Klay's is physical. I would definitely unload him and Wiseman if the chance arose.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,459

Post#45 » by Impuniti » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:29 am

floppymoose wrote:Steph's slump was mental. Klay's is physical. I would definitely unload him and Wiseman if the chance arose.

I think Klay's is also mental to be honest. You can't blame physical when he takes so many horribly contested shots.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,635

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 am

Impuniti wrote:
floppymoose wrote:Steph's slump was mental. Klay's is physical. I would definitely unload him and Wiseman if the chance arose.

I think Klay's is also mental to be honest. You can't blame physical when he takes so many horribly contested shots.

that's always been Klay tho, he's always taken awkward shots or shot too much or made bad decisions with the basketball

only difference is they are now going in at a much lower clip so they come a much bigger problem
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,873

Post#47 » by WarriorGM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:39 am

If we're to believe Steph, Steph's shooting problem last year was mechanical, something to do with not using the balls of his feet. May be something similar with Klay given the time off and injuries.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 16,167

Post#48 » by floppymoose » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:05 am

^ I count that as mental. With physical, I mean limitation due to age or injury.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#49 » by and1GS » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:40 pm

Curious, what about it makes you feel it's physical?

I definitely think his body isn't able to keep up with what his mind wants to do, but I also am not totally sure if that's shaking off rust or something larger.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#50 » by Jester_ » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Klay's decline is mental in the sense that his ego is too big to adapt. He continues to take as many shots as Steph. if he adapts and moves to a bench role and be the best 3&D reserve in the league, great. Otherwise he's losing us games right now.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 20,430

Post#51 » by Revived » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter

It’s obvious he feels disrespected.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,990

Post#52 » by Hoopstar23 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:04 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

yea because he's playing like trash!
DonaldSanders
Head Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#53 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:11 pm

Klay taking all this so personally makes me wonder if he knows how much his body has declined and that he is now significantly more limited. I think Klay can shoot much better and will, but I think it's time to make the game easier for him. Fewer minutes as a super sub, keep him in more when he is on a heater. Lower the pressure and expectations for him and his body having him guard subs instead of guys from 1st units. 18-20 minutes a night guarding the 2nd unit for someone with his injury history is going to be easier to defend than the 28-30 minutes he is getting now.

I think the game is passing him by as a starter and it's just hurting his mind even more, dragging down his shooting percentages. The starters do fine when he is in, but I think we saw what is possible with a shooting guard hitting a lot of shots last night. JP won't always be that on fire, but I think he is in a much better position to take advantage of the holes/easy opportunities that playing with Steph provides - drives to the hoop, passing, JP can do more than just shoot.

Love Klay but it hurts even more seeing him struggle as a starter. It would be good for him and the team for him to transition to a bench role. I think on fewer minutes he can have stronger stints, especially on D, knowing he won't have to play for as long of periods. It feels like right now he knows his body is struggling to keep up with the starters, it's time to relieve him of that pressure and make the game easier for him.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,578

Post#54 » by Big J » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Klay doesn’t draw enough fouls, and Jordan draws a lot. It’s as simple as that. Drawing fouls puts our team in a much better position as the game goes on.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,440

Post#55 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:58 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's fine, its an absolutely hard journey to come back from an ACL/Achilles injury. But that's far less important to the team and fanbase than winning, and if his play is impeding that, then that's what he's going to hear about. He's going to be very disappointed to find out that there are far more Warrior fans than there are Klay fans
zhuangcorp
Junior
And1: 65

Post#56 » by zhuangcorp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Klay is a bit delusional now it seems. He deserves credit for battling through injury for playing basketball again, whether in the NBA or CBA or wherever. And he gets all the credit in the world for coming back.

But he's not playing in the CBA now, he's in the NBA and his play is not at NBA level. He's ruining his team's chances and the hopes of millions of fans. If he wanted to help the team win, the best thing would be for him to volunteer to play more limited minutes and take more opportunistic shot selection until he can improve his form.

And if Klay isn't smart enough to do that, the head coach has to be able to make painful decisions to get the team over the line.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#57 » by and1GS » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:20 pm

He definitely deserves credit for battling through everything. But the reality is that if this was Jordan Poole and not Klay, he'd be getting 10 mpg right now. Wiseman played poorly, and he's in the G League.

Yes I know these guys don't have the legacy of Klay, but that's the point. If he was Bradley Beal and playing like this after two major surgeries, he'd be bench bound or have his minutes significantly cut. We just saw this with Russ - and he's been pretty good off the bench. DeMarcus Cousins battled through injury and is out of the league. In his last full season Oladipo was top ten in scoring and getting 30+ MPG, now he's getting 20 mpg.

He's getting the benefit of the doubt and being gifted minutes. Not many players get that benefit for this long. If he keeps this up through 20 games, I don't feel there's a world where even Kerr can justify starting him.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,750

Post#58 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 pm

His lower body shooting mechanics are just different. It was always questionable about what type of leg lift he would get post surgery. Klay had picture perfect shooting mechanics, best in basketball. Nice leg lift to get a high release on the ball and get it over defenders length.

Problem is he doesn't shoot with much leg lift now and his shooting stance is wider. The ball is just coming in flatter which has less of a chance and his lack of leg lift means a more contested visual on the release.

I swear if this guy gets his lower body mechanics back he will be one of the absolute best players in basketball again.

The frustrating part is believing it's his mental stance when it's mechanical issue.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,578

Post#59 » by Big J » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:11 pm

Maybe we can bring Jackie Moon back again this year? That seemed to cheer Klay up last year.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#60 » by michaelm » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:12 pm

Double

Return to Golden State Warriors