With the 19th pick, Warriors select Brandin Podziemski

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Re: With the 19th pick, Warriors select Brandin Podziemski 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:20 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:You got yourself the steal of the draft:
https://www.reddit.com/r/torontoraptors/comments/13skel0/the_case_for_podziemski_13/

I made that thread, by draft day I had him #3 behind only Victor and Miller.
He's like a more well rounded Ty Jerome with his rebounding and is a better defender. His defense is very underrated, he's actually really smart and extremely competitive. He's going to be a special, special player in my opinion.

Good writeup. It's not a coincidence the team that love DDV and Ty "Mr. Floater" Jerome drafted Podz. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#42 » by thunderdunk » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:55 pm

He looks remarkably slow. Def reminds me of Mullin in that regard. Pure shot maker who out-slows everyone to the rim. Time will tell.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 187

Post#43 » by DaHef » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:16 pm

thunderdunk wrote:He looks remarkably slow. Def reminds me of Mullin in that regard. Pure shot maker who out-slows everyone to the rim. Time will tell.

Yep, another 3 inches and I would have made the same comparison. Unfortunately, you can't be a no D smallish designated shooter in this league, you get too exploited and targeted on the other end. The league usually finds a way to swallow up and spit out prospects like this unless they are freaky fast, long. or athletic (like DDV). But I guess you never know, stranger things have happened. I'll be rooting for him to make it.
greg4012
Head Coach
And1: 9,036

Post#44 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:05 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
holy ****
would love a cliff notes version

He started basketball in the 8th grade. By his senior year was lighting it up with over 30+ppg. His rebounding and steals should net more possessions adding value to the team. Great shooter. Upside is jalen Brunson? Can overcome athletic deficiencies if you have the iq to make up for it. Strong possibility that he can based on passing, rebounding, off ball defense, defensive awareness.

I absolutely hate hearing his upside is Brunson, I hate guys like that. Dont think he'll ever be a winner. But I love the rest.. was probably my 3rd favorite choice at SG and 4th overall at 19. But the good news is we avoided landmines and picked a guy who fits our system.. and as a bonus, it pisses off some of the more reactionary posters here and I can't undersell how good that usually is for our team's chances

I take it you didn't watch Brunson in the playoffs this year?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,440

Post#45 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:18 pm

greg4012 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Onus wrote:He started basketball in the 8th grade. By his senior year was lighting it up with over 30+ppg. His rebounding and steals should net more possessions adding value to the team. Great shooter. Upside is jalen Brunson? Can overcome athletic deficiencies if you have the iq to make up for it. Strong possibility that he can based on passing, rebounding, off ball defense, defensive awareness.

I absolutely hate hearing his upside is Brunson, I hate guys like that. Dont think he'll ever be a winner. But I love the rest.. was probably my 3rd favorite choice at SG and 4th overall at 19. But the good news is we avoided landmines and picked a guy who fits our system.. and as a bonus, it pisses off some of the more reactionary posters here and I can't undersell how good that usually is for our team's chances

I did! How did his team wind up doing?

If you're going to be a ball-dominant small guard, you'd better be at least one of ruthlessly efficient, an amazing passer, or great defender. He does none... Brunson is a 3rd best player on a winner masquerading as a #1 on a team that only had 1 other good offensive starter. Isoball junkie, but some fans are into that

Not here though
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 230

Post#46 » by sonnyhill » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:30 pm

Brandin Podziemski?

Did Donte DiVincenzo and Nico Mannion have a baby?
greg4012
Head Coach
And1: 9,036

Post#47 » by greg4012 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:37 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

I did! How did his team wind up doing?

If you're going to be a ball-dominant small guard, you'd better be at least one of ruthlessly efficient, an amazing passer, or great defender. He does none... Brunson is a 3rd best player on a winner masquerading as a #1 on a team that only had 1 other good offensive starter. Isoball junkie, but some fans are into that

Not here though

They beat the higher seed favored over them in round 1 and then lost in round 2 to a fake lower seed that ended up making it to the finals (and was 1 shot away from the finals the year prior). I'm a Heat fan, and the fact that NY took Miami to 6 games was almost exclusively because of Brunson (with an assist from Scott Foster in Game 3). He was nearly flawless offensively for the entire series. Played so smart and seemingly made everything in short midrange while always stressing the defense. And he was an amazing passer in that series against Miami. It was honestly a relief whenever he wouldn't shoot the ball, even though he was still seemingly always finding the right open teammate to exploit the defense.

I'm a big believer in playoff Brunson after this year's playoffs. He is who I low-key see the most when I evaluate Podz game. Part of me wanted Miami to take him at pick 18. Kudos to the Warriors as I think you got a great contributor to winning basketball at 19. Will he become the next league superstar? Probably not. But,it's extremely doubtful that anyone picked in the back half of the 1st round will. Getting someone that can end up as the 3rd best player on a winner sounds like a best case scenario in this part of the draft (and even then it would be foolish to have any expectation of such)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#48 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:37 pm

thunderdunk wrote:He looks remarkably slow. Def reminds me of Mullin in that regard. Pure shot maker who out-slows everyone to the rim. Time will tell.

GM who was a slow white player chooses as his first draft pick ... a slow white player?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,424

Post#49 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:11 pm

DaHef wrote:

Yep, another 3 inches and I would have made the same comparison. Unfortunately, you can't be a no D smallish designated shooter in this league, you get too exploited and targeted on the other end. The league usually finds a way to swallow up and spit out prospects like this unless they are freaky fast, long. or athletic (like DDV). But I guess you never know, stranger things have happened. I'll be rooting for him to make it.

Robinson, Strus, Vincent, and Martin are all slow and unathletic.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,843

Post#50 » by Upperclass » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:22 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
DaHef wrote:

All of those guys are quicker, faster and taller and in Robinson, Vincent and Martins case.. longer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#51 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:34 pm

Luka is slow too but he's big and his shot is harder to contest because he can protect it with his wide body and strength.

His slowness is a feature though, not a bug.
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 187

Post#52 » by DaHef » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:35 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
DaHef wrote:

There's quite a few Robinsons and Martins so I wasn't able to check that out. Vincent and Strus strike me as more athletic and Vincent faster, but who knows. Hope springs eternal. Maybe Summer league will give us a glimpse. It's hard to gauge players coming out of the WCC. Everything from Steve Nash to the Ogden brothers. Which reminds me, Kenny Sears was my first fan favorite back when he played a season with the S.F. Saints. The good old pre-Warrior days.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,424

Post#53 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:26 pm

Podz has an obvious natural grasp of the game, I think that’ll go a long way in overcoming some of his physical issues
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:23 pm

Look how far it took Ty Jerome!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,579

Post#55 » by Big J » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:48 pm

He reminds me of Jessup.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,732

Post#56 » by Onus » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:14 am

He said he models his game after manu and wants to be a triple double guy. Interesting
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,873

Post#57 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:16 am

Is the thread on Trayce Jackson-Davis getting more activity than this one about Podziemski despite being picked later indicative of anything?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,734

Post#58 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:51 am

I hear that Santa Cruz is a nice place to live.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,579

Post#59 » by Big J » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:54 am

Why do we draft so many guys from Wisconsin? Loon, Poole, PBJ, Podz
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,220

Post#60 » by watch1958 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:07 am

WarriorGM wrote:Is the thread on Trayce Jackson-Davis getting more activity than this one about Podziemski despite being picked later indicative of anything?
Yes. TJD has interesting pluses and minuses. With Pod there’s the overriding question of whether he has the tools to do anything at all in the NBA. He’s a good collection of skills, but he may be a total stiff. Nedo bad maybe.

Not much to talk about until he plays.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.

Return to Golden State Warriors