ImageImageImageImageImage

It’s over I’m calling it

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Re: It’s over I’m calling it 

Post#41 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:21 pm

He has a strange obsession with a players age, he's said it a couple times in interviews "Jonathan and Moses are 20 years old, they should be juniors in college, we can't expect them to know how to play basketball" or something along those lines.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,107

Post#42 » by whatisacenter » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:23 pm

Jester_ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Why trade Steph? The owner just needs to cut the cord on the core 3 and build a new lineup around Curry. Maybe keeping the gang together makes sense for the value of the team but not for the product on the court.

It's pretty hard to swap a treadmill roster that's over the hump for a championship one

Don't look at me. I didn't want the FO to bring this roster back this season. I thought it was time to rip the bandaid off after the playoffs loss to the Lakers.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#43 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:30 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:He has a strange obsession with a players age, he's said it a couple times in interviews "Jonathan and Moses are 20 years old, they should be juniors in college, we can't expect them to know how to play basketball" or something along those lines.

He isn’t wrong. But anytime you pick up a new skilled sport like bowling, tennis, golf. The only way you get better at any sport is by playing more and playing against better competition. They may look silly initially, but eventually everything starts to click and be instinctual. Kerr didn’t do that for them last year, so once again they start close from level one in the video game. And the core is older and slower, just poor planning on his part as a coach.

But then again his system is for guards.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#44 » by whatisacenter » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:39 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:He has a strange obsession with a players age, he's said it a couple times in interviews "Jonathan and Moses are 20 years old, they should be juniors in college, we can't expect them to know how to play basketball" or something along those lines.

He isn’t wrong. But anytime you pick up a new skilled sport like bowling, tennis, golf. The only way you get better at any sport is by playing more and playing against better competition. They may look silly initially, but eventually everything starts to click and be instinctual. Kerr didn’t do that for them last year, so once again they start close from level one in the video game. And the core is older and slower, just poor planning on his part as a coach.

Agree, in interviews he says the team needs to lean into the vets and that what makes them a contender. Says if they are going to rely on the young players then it would signal they are not trying to win a championship. JK and Moody are not rookies, and are in their 3rd year, but they have been given such short leashes so far in their careers that they are not as developed as they could be, IMO.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#45 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:49 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Agree, in interviews he says the team needs to lean into the vets and that what makes them a contender. Says if they are going to rely on the young players then it would signal they are not trying to win a championship. JK and Moody are not rookies, and are in their 3rd year, but they have been given such short leashes so far in their careers that they are not as developed as they could be, IMO.

Lol at Kerr. We weren’t trying to win a championship last year either. Not unless JK and Moody overtook the mimbo who shan’t be named.

Btw the mimbo is shooting in the exclusive 40 30 club.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,697

Post#46 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:55 pm

How do people feel about the CP3 trade? It hasn't worked out in terms of fixing the supposed problem which was Poole to get us back to the top. We are probably worse this year.

We did trade Poole the younger and faster player along with two prospects, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder for a 39 year old scoring 8ppg on 39% from FG and 31% from 3p who cannot defend and will leave after this year.

The biggest issue with Poole was he couldn't play defense with the Splash Brothers, but CP3 can't either. Which is why I never liked the trade, size and defense was the issue to be addressed. However I warmed up like the other fans that we could move the contract easy if things looked bad. At this point if we can't move the contract for help, we aren't contending, we lost prospects, a good younger player, picks, and that salary slot moving forward was it good deal?

CP3 is a way better game manager than Poole. But on a nightly basis having speed going downhill and having someone other than Klay and Wiggins has been a constant head ache of an issue.

I know people will point towards salary relief, which is nice for Lacob. But contending is the only thing that matters to fans.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#47 » by whatisacenter » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:01 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:How do people feel about the CP3 trade? It hasn't worked out in terms of fixing the supposed problem which was Poole to get us back to the top. We are probably worse this year.

We did trade Poole the younger and faster player along with two prospects, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder for a 39 year old scoring 8ppg on 39% from FG and 31% from 3p who cannot defend and will leave after this year.

The biggest issue with Poole was he couldn't play defense with the Splash Brothers, but CP3 can't either. Which is why I never liked the trade, size and defense was the issue to be addressed. However I warmed up like the other fans that we could move the contract easy if things looked bad. At this point if we can't move the contract for help, we aren't contending, we lost prospects, a good younger player, picks, and that salary slot moving forward was it good deal?

CP3 is a way better game manager than Poole. But on a nightly basis having speed going downhill and having someone other than Klay and Wiggins has been a constant head ache of an issue.

I know people will point towards salary relief, which is nice for Lacob. But contending is the only thing that matters to fans.

I was fine with them trading Poole but not for CP for all the reasons you’ve mentioned.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,697

Post#48 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:11 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:How do people feel about the CP3 trade? It hasn't worked out in terms of fixing the supposed problem which was Poole to get us back to the top. We are probably worse this year.

I was fine with them trading Poole but not for CP for all the reasons you’ve mentioned.

The biggest issue is we are in 11th place. If we can't unload CP3's contract for someone on a longer deal then this is all officially over. Just no way for them to assemble a contender even with picks and young prospects. At this point any dead weight contracts extended beyond his coming back would constitute as a win for us if we want to try and win going forward.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#49 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:04 pm

We got rid of arguably the worst contract in basketball for an expiring, don't care if it was CP3 or Troy Murphy, that trade was a homerun.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#50 » by jozef » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:30 pm

Look if any team would start a center like Kevon Looney a backed him up with Dario Saric then they could call it over right in that moment.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,292

Post#51 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:06 pm

I acknowledge that we need some of the things Poole brought, but Poole himself was still a disaster. It was a good trade to get off his contract, but to me we did not complete the roster. Klay should have then been moved to get a guard who can create his own shot.

The trade was always good for giving us flexibility, but I don't think anyone thought it made us a contender. I still think CP is an upgrade over Poole, but we also should have aggressively pursued Jrue Holiday and moved CP3 to do it. I liked the CP3 trade but when Jrue was available I wanted us to push a lot of chips in to get him. Of course that would also necessitate a Klay trade.

Anyway I still think we could possibly move CP3 this season for the right trade, which was a big reason why the trade was good -- options for trades this year and next year. The main issue with CP3 on this team is Kerr's overuse of him -- He needs to be a backup PG, low 20mpg per game guy. The bench last night definitely looked more lost without him, but I don't like him closing or playing the Klay/CP3/Curry lineup.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#52 » by floppymoose » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:28 pm

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#53 » by Onus » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:34 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Onus wrote:
Impuniti wrote:TWEAKS? :lol:

This team is awful. Their record vs top teams this season is abhorrent. They're basically bullying bad teams and get their asses handed to them by any good team. Tweaks aren't fixing anything in this team. It needs drastic chances and praying that it somehow works out.

I don’t think we’ve been blown out yet and we’re still trying to find out what’s best for this team. Like we haven’t even played an optimal rotation. The one time we did we blew out the pelicans.

A pelicans team that was missing Ingram and still didn’t have Trey Murphy III and Jose Alvarez back from injury.

I mean sure. But it’s not like we’ve been healthy either.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#54 » by DevinVassell » Sat Dec 9, 2023 10:38 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Lol looked up Anthony Lamb and he’s now playing for the New Zealand Breakers. He played around 20 minutes per game last year, same as Kuminga and more than Moody. Ty Jerome also 18 minutes per game. Make this make sense. Warriors wasted their time developing scrubs and wondering why their first rounders aren’t playing better than they are. Apparently Kuminga and Moody were supposed to learn to be better players watching Lamb and Jerome from the bench. Kerr had the luxury of playing scrubs in the past when the small 3 were at their peak and then when KD arrived, but he couldn’t foresee the time where they couldn’t run the same thing anymore and what’s his solution? Throw darts at a board. Should have stuck with John Wooden’s philosophy: talent plays, scrubs sit on the bench. Kerr’s philosophy doesn’t work because it runs counter to that, he gets scrubs to run his system until those scrubs couldn’t play in the playoffs.

The most infuriating thing was there were gleague games just down the road they easily could have been playing in. But no... just sit on the bench and watch like a fan.... no actual basketball at all in any shape or form.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#55 » by watch1958 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:07 am

DevinVassell wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Lol looked up Anthony Lamb and he’s now playing for the New Zealand Breakers. He played around 20 minutes per game last year, same as Kuminga and more than Moody. Ty Jerome also 18 minutes per game. Make this make sense. Warriors wasted their time developing scrubs and wondering why their first rounders aren’t playing better than they are. Apparently Kuminga and Moody were supposed to learn to be better players watching Lamb and Jerome from the bench. Kerr had the luxury of playing scrubs in the past when the small 3 were at their peak and then when KD arrived, but he couldn’t foresee the time where they couldn’t run the same thing anymore and what’s his solution? Throw darts at a board. Should have stuck with John Wooden’s philosophy: talent plays, scrubs sit on the bench. Kerr’s philosophy doesn’t work because it runs counter to that, he gets scrubs to run his system until those scrubs couldn’t play in the playoffs.

The most infuriating thing was there were gleague games just down the road they easily could have been playing in. But no... just sit on the bench and watch like a fan.... no actual basketball at all in any shape or form.
I tallied it up once last season; there was a stretch of 3 or 4 weeks where Moody could have played a half dozen games in Santa Cruz without missing one single minute that he played with the Dubs.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#56 » by watch1958 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:40 am

Some context: How has the team looked since 2019?

2020: terrible all year.
2021: .500 most of the season. Supernova Steph for a month. Playin losers.
2022: hot for a few months. .500 the rest of the way, until a solid couple of weeks at the end. Rolled in playoffs.
2023: bad at the start, .500 most of the year, solid little warm streak at the end. Mediocre in two playoff series.
2024: short hot streak to start, 4-10 since.

So overall, there hasn’t been very much smart high level basketball over the last 4 seasons.

Is this team capable of a solid 20 game hot streak anymore?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#57 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:21 am

Coming into the season I expected the strength of the Warriors to be our starters playing like high basketball IQ sophisticated sycronized school of fish.

Our starters were the NBA’s best statistical 5 man unit last year but our bench was bad last year. Our bench is better this year but our starters are not playing like a very good 5 man unit.

The starters need to play with the energy focus and basketball IQ that they have shown in the past.

Looney, Draymond, Wiggins, Klay and Curry played great team ball in the past.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,109

Post#58 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:23 am

watch1958 wrote:Is this team capable of a solid 20 game hot streak anymore?

It's capable of a run for sure, I can't overstate how poorly we're using the pieces on the roster right now. Its crazy how different and ineffective the rotations have been the past 2 seasons. The assumption last year was that Kerr was hamstrung by Poole and our otherwise lack of handlers, and we just had to absorb his bad defense/stupidity

But here we are now with a much better fitting team, but Kerr is repeatedly trying to jam the square pegs in the round holes. Its not working, but he's convinced that if he gets that square peg going, it'll fit. Just need patience... its a championship peg!
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#59 » by whatisacenter » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:10 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

It's capable of a run for sure, I can't overstate how poorly we're using the pieces on the roster right now. Its crazy how different and ineffective the rotations have been the past 2 seasons. The assumption last year was that Kerr was hamstrung by Poole and our otherwise lack of handlers, and we just had to absorb his bad defense/stupidity

But here we are now with a much better fitting team, but Kerr is repeatedly trying to jam the square pegs in the round holes. Its not working, but he's convinced that if he gets that square peg going, it'll fit. Just need patience... its a championship peg!

How does this roster fit well?

It has 7 guards, 1 1/2 wings, and 3 guys who play the 4 and an undersized 5. Six of the players are over 30yo in addition to Saric and Looney who move like they are nearing 40.

I think this roster is a .500 roster that if everything goes well could win 44-45 games tops and maybe the win a first round series.

All bets are off if Curry misses 15+ games this season as I don't think this team is built to go .500 in his absence.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#60 » by watch1958 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:34 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

How does this roster fit well?

It has 7 guards, 1 1/2 wings, and 3 guys who play the 4 and an undersized 5. Six of the players are over 30yo in addition to Saric and Looney who move like they are nearing 40.

I think this roster is a .500 roster that if everything goes well could win 44-45 games tops and maybe the win a first round series.

All bets are off if Curry misses 15+ games this season as I don't think this team is built to go .500 in his absence.
Odd thing is that the strange team last season did play .500 without Steph.

Return to Golden State Warriors