ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,750

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#401 » by DAWill1128 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:27 am

I would see if OKC is willing to sell on Josh Giddey. He’s fallen out of favor in this Dallas matchup with the need to defend Kyrie and Luka with better defenders. He’s gotten benched and he or his agent might push him out.

He’s talented 6-8 guard, he’s four days younger than Kuminga in the same draft. If you think JK is gonna improve due to age the same could be said for Giddey. Maybe you trade a vet and a pick or move Podz and a pick or even TJD to get him.

He put 16ppg, 7rpg, 6apg as a 20 year old last year. If Klay leaves or comes strictly off the bench we could use a new starting shooting guard. On our team and in our system I think he would look better. Kerr can have his extra ball handler while being a bigger body. If you keep JK and Moody who aren’t ball handlers or facilitators then getting one would be good. He can help on the boards, handle the ball, he’s got good floor vision finding guys and connecting passes.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,800

Post#402 » by azwfan » Sun May 19, 2024 2:36 am

DAWill1128 wrote:I would see if OKC is willing to sell on Josh Giddey. He’s fallen out of favor in this Dallas matchup with the need to defend Kyrie and Luka with better defenders. He’s gotten benched and he or his agent might push him out.

He’s talented 6-8 guard, he’s four days younger than Kuminga in the same draft. If you think JK is gonna improve due to age the same could be said for Giddey. Maybe you trade a vet and a pick or move Podz and a pick or even TJD to get him.

He put 16ppg, 7rpg, 6apg as a 20 year old last year. If Klay leaves or comes strictly off the bench we could use a new starting shooting guard. On our team and in our system I think he would look better. Kerr can have his extra ball handler while being a bigger body. If you keep JK and Moody who aren’t ball handlers or facilitators then getting one would be good.

I see that someone else was thinking along these lines. I approve.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,438

Post#403 » by ILOVEIT » Sun May 19, 2024 9:56 pm

NO MORE TWO MIDGET GUARDS!!!!!!!!!!!! No interest in putting Curry next to any guard that isn't bigger and stronger. Curry and DJ Murray, sure. But with Damian or Mitchel....no...stop. We'd get destroyed on defense.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,220

Post#404 » by watch1958 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:52 pm

azwfan wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I would see if OKC is willing to sell on Josh Giddey. He’s fallen out of favor in this Dallas matchup with the need to defend Kyrie and Luka with better defenders. He’s gotten benched and he or his agent might push him out.

He put 16ppg, 7rpg, 6apg as a 20 year old last year. If Klay leaves or comes strictly off the bench we could use a new starting shooting guard. On our team and in our system I think he would look better. Kerr can have his extra ball handler while being a bigger body. If you keep JK and Moody who aren’t ball handlers or facilitators then getting one would be good.

That’s interesting. Seeing how much Kerr used Podz, I think he’d love Josh. 3 point shooting would be the question, along with cost.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,569

Post#405 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 20, 2024 1:46 am

watch1958 wrote:
azwfan wrote:

That’s interesting. Seeing how much Kerr used Podz, I think he’d love Josh. 3 point shooting would be the question, along with cost.

I'd kick the tires on a jk for giddey/Joe and maybe a pick deal.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#406 » by wco81 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:52 am

Giddy isn’t even getting a big extension from OKC.

Can’t defend, can’t shoot.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,732

Post#407 » by Onus » Mon May 20, 2024 2:38 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
azwfan wrote:I see that someone else was thinking along these lines. I approve.

Wild that yall would trade our best trade chip for someone who might not even close. If we trade JK it needs to be for someone that is either going to make us the best defensive team or a 2nd option type player. Either way that player needs to be in our closing 5.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
azwfan
RealGM

Post#408 » by azwfan » Mon May 20, 2024 2:34 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
watch1958 wrote:That’s interesting. Seeing how much Kerr used Podz, I think he’d love Josh. 3 point shooting would be the question, along with cost.

Wild that yall would trade our best trade chip for someone who might not even close. If we trade JK it needs to be for someone that is either going to make us the best defensive team or a 2nd option type player. Either way that player needs to be in our closing 5.

I wouldnt trade JK for Giddey. My thought was JK + Giddey as the future.

Hope to just give up Wiggins, may have to give up podz. Probably both. Either way, I think Giddey / JK could be a nice young duo to start with and he fits with steph as a bigger backcourt player who can handle while Steph runs marathons and draymond tells everyone where to go while nobody guards him.
Onus
RealGM

Post#409 » by Onus » Mon May 20, 2024 3:03 pm

azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Hope to just give up Wiggins, may have to give up podz. Probably both. Either way, I think Giddey / JK could be a nice young duo to start with and he fits with steph as a bigger backcourt player who can handle while Steph runs marathons and draymond tells everyone where to go while nobody guards him.

This might create the worst spacing team in the modern nba.

Curry/Giddey/JK/Dray/TJD??

What kind of value do you put on Giddey that you'd be willing to give up both Wiggins and Podz? I don't think I would trade Podz for Giddey straight up.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#410 » by azwfan » Mon May 20, 2024 3:40 pm

Onus wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:Wild that yall would trade our best trade chip for someone who might not even close. If we trade JK it needs to be for someone that is either going to make us the best defensive team or a 2nd option type player. Either way that player needs to be in our closing 5.

What kind of value do you put on Giddey that you'd be willing to give up both Wiggins and Podz? I don't think I would trade Podz for Giddey straight up.

Easy solution is to trade Draymond.

This sets up cap space for summer of 2025, which is the primary goal anyways.
Onus
RealGM

Post#411 » by Onus » Mon May 20, 2024 3:43 pm

azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:
azwfan wrote:I wouldnt trade JK for Giddey. My thought was JK + Giddey as the future.

Easy solution is to trade Draymond.

This sets up cap space for summer of 2025, which is the primary goal anyways.

Even if you trade Dray, it's terrible spacing when your 2 or 3 can't shoot and teams will leave them open.
Onus
RealGM

Post#412 » by Onus » Tue May 21, 2024 2:26 am

Just found out Killian tillie is trying to make a come back after not playing for 2 years. Would love to give him a shot. Remember I liked him coming out of college and was a stretch 4.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#413 » by HiRez » Tue May 21, 2024 8:01 pm

Ingram seems like the most likely acquisition to me. Would make us better but IMO still leave us well short of contention. But I really have no idea what direction the FO is looking at, except they are definitely keeping Curry and Dray and all signs point to re-signing Klay, so that puts a cap on extreme makeovers.
Onus
RealGM

Post#414 » by Onus » Tue May 21, 2024 8:06 pm

HiRez wrote:Ingram seems like the most likely acquisition to me. Would make us better but IMO still leave us well short of contention. But I really have no idea what direction the FO is looking at, except they are definitely keeping Curry and Dray and all signs point to re-signing Klay, so that puts a cap on extreme makeovers.

I've been thinking about how Ingram would fit and I'm not really seeing it. Not really a great off ball player. Wilts against physical defense. I think I'd pass on Ingram.
vvoland
Pro Prospect
And1: 184

Post#415 » by vvoland » Tue May 21, 2024 8:23 pm

Onus wrote:
HiRez wrote:Ingram seems like the most likely acquisition to me. Would make us better but IMO still leave us well short of contention. But I really have no idea what direction the FO is looking at, except they are definitely keeping Curry and Dray and all signs point to re-signing Klay, so that puts a cap on extreme makeovers.

I've been thinking about how Ingram would fit and I'm not really seeing it. Not really a great off ball player. Wilts against physical defense. I think I'd pass on Ingram.

I'm really curious as to what the bulls would give us along w/ Lavine to take him off their hands. He's at 43, 46, 49 next three seasons so I'm guessing if we bundle CP3, Looney and filler they'll send at least 1 first rounder back, right? He seems like a good bet to be the next wiggins - bad contract, losing player that can look completely different as a 3rd option. Played good defense on team USA in Tokyo. It's the health that has me most concerned considering the contract is 3 years but if Rick clears him, I'd kick the tires and see what the Bulls would throw in to get that contract off their books.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#416 » by HiRez » Tue May 21, 2024 8:36 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:

I'm really curious as to what the bulls would give us along w/ Lavine to take him off their hands. He's at 43, 46, 49 next three seasons so I'm guessing if we bundle CP3, Looney and filler they'll send at least 1 first rounder back, right? He seems like a good bet to be the next wiggins - bad contract, losing player that can look completely different as a 3rd option. Played good defense on team USA in Tokyo. It's the health that has me most concerned considering the contract is 3 years but if Rick clears him, I'd kick the tires and see what the Bulls would throw in to get that contract off their books.

I'm wary of LaVine but the dude can certainly score, and it's not like Klay's been giving us much defensively in recent years. Maybe if Caruso and a pick swap or high 2nd are coming over with him...

If they don't end up re-signing Klay for some reason, indications are that they'll want to keep his salary slot for future moves and LaVine could provide it. I'm sure Lacob would love to duck all the taxes if possible but he's got to be thinking about the next 3-ish years and what will have to be done to avoid a long rebuilding phase.
vvoland
Pro Prospect

Post#417 » by vvoland » Tue May 21, 2024 8:55 pm

HiRez wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:I've been thinking about how Ingram would fit and I'm not really seeing it. Not really a great off ball player. Wilts against physical defense. I think I'd pass on Ingram.

I'm wary of LaVine but the dude can certainly score, and it's not like Klay's been giving us much defensively in recent years. Maybe if Caruso and a pick swap or high 2nd are coming over with him...

If they don't end up re-signing Klay for some reason, indications are that they'll want to keep his salary slot for future moves and LaVine could provide it. I'm sure Lacob would love to duck all the taxes if possible but he's got to be thinking about the next 3-ish years and what will have to be done to avoid a long rebuilding phase.

How about Lavine + Caruso (~$50M) for CP3 + Wigs (~$54M)? I don't think we'd have to include any picks and with caruso included, I don't think Chi would include any picks, either. Caruso makes up for the defense we lose with wigs while Lavine would provide a 2nd option (or 3rd, if JK takes the leap we all hope he can).
Onus
RealGM

Post#418 » by Onus » Tue May 21, 2024 9:09 pm

vvoland wrote:
HiRez wrote:
vvoland wrote:I'm really curious as to what the bulls would give us along w/ Lavine to take him off their hands. He's at 43, 46, 49 next three seasons so I'm guessing if we bundle CP3, Looney and filler they'll send at least 1 first rounder back, right? He seems like a good bet to be the next wiggins - bad contract, losing player that can look completely different as a 3rd option. Played good defense on team USA in Tokyo. It's the health that has me most concerned considering the contract is 3 years but if Rick clears him, I'd kick the tires and see what the Bulls would throw in to get that contract off their books.

How about Lavine + Caruso (~$50M) for CP3 + Wigs (~$54M)? I don't think we'd have to include any picks and with caruso included, I don't think Chi would include any picks, either. Caruso makes up for the defense we lose with wigs while Lavine would provide a 2nd option (or 3rd, if JK takes the leap we all hope he can).

I kind of want Wigs and Caruso together. They can lock down the perimeter so we can have one of the best defenses. Wigs is one of the best Luka/Tatum defenders, players we'll have to get through if we're still going for it.

I do see Lavine as a better fit than Ingram, and realistically we should get compensated for taking on his salary. He was really bad in chicago this year.
vvoland
Pro Prospect

Post#419 » by vvoland » Wed May 22, 2024 5:24 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
HiRez wrote:I'm wary of LaVine but the dude can certainly score, and it's not like Klay's been giving us much defensively in recent years. Maybe if Caruso and a pick swap or high 2nd are coming over with him...

I kind of want Wigs and Caruso together. They can lock down the perimeter so we can have one of the best defenses. Wigs is one of the best Luka/Tatum defenders, players we'll have to get through if we're still going for it.

I do see Lavine as a better fit than Ingram, and realistically we should get compensated for taking on his salary. He was really bad in chicago this year.

I don't really want to see that. In fact, I semi-jokingly texted a buddy of mine when discussing something similar, "I'd rather bet on celibrini getting lavine healthy than I would on wiggins returning to form". Then I realized it's probably true.

It's been nearly two full seasons since wiggins disappeared despite having stretches where he looked like his old self. As a result, it seems like a mental issue, not physical, and I don't think I'd want to bet on that improving next season.

Caruso and draymond should be enough defensively to get us most of the way there. I see the wiggins minutes going to moody and then there's the question as to who starts at 2 as Caruso is probably best suited in a 6th man role, as is podz. That's why I'd try to flip podz for a big, ideally a stretch big. I'd try to get one in regardless of other moves as I do think that's the position that unlocks the frontcourt.

For example, I don't think you'd need that many picks to go out with the poo-poo platter of cp3, wigs, podz or moody, and contract fillers like loon and gp2 to bring back lavine (or simmons, if CDM insists), caruso and one of miles turner (high end), brook lopez (low end) or even a kleber/bertans/vucevic type.

Just to keep it simple as a two team trade:
cp3, wigs, loon and gp2 = $74M while lavine, vuc, caruso = $73M. I think we'd be getting at least 1 first round pick (protected) to get that money off their books. caruso is on an expiring, vuc is 2 years and lavine has 3 while we'd send them almost $50M of expiring contracts + maple jordan. We can still get under the 2nd apron if you don't bring back klay for more than 15M (or at all) and the tax payer MLE will be available to round out the roster. There are probably trade kickers and other salary machinations I'm not taking into account but it's probably close enough.
Onus
RealGM

Post#420 » by Onus » Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I don't really want to see that. In fact, I semi-jokingly texted a buddy of mine when discussing something similar, "I'd rather bet on celibrini getting lavine healthy than I would on wiggins returning to form". Then I realized it's probably true.

It's been nearly two full seasons since wiggins disappeared despite having stretches where he looked like his old self. As a result, it seems like a mental issue, not physical, and I don't think I'd want to bet on that improving next season.

Caruso and draymond should be enough defensively to get us most of the way there. I see the wiggins minutes going to moody and then there's the question as to who starts at 2 as Caruso is probably best suited in a 6th man role, as is podz. That's why I'd try to flip podz for a big, ideally a stretch big. I'd try to get one in regardless of other moves as I do think that's the position that unlocks the frontcourt.

For example, I don't think you'd need that many picks to go out with the poo-poo platter of cp3, wigs, podz or moody, and contract fillers like loon and gp2 to bring back lavine (or simmons, if CDM insists), caruso and one of miles turner (high end), brook lopez (low end) or even a kleber/bertans/vucevic type.

Just to keep it simple as a two team trade:
cp3, wigs, loon and gp2 = $74M while lavine, vuc, caruso = $73M. I think we'd be getting at least 1 first round pick (protected) to get that money off their books. caruso is on an expiring, vuc is 2 years and lavine has 3 while we'd send them almost $50M of expiring contracts + maple jordan. We can still get under the 2nd apron if you don't bring back klay for more than 15M (or at all) and the tax payer MLE will be available to round out the roster. There are probably trade kickers and other salary machinations I'm not taking into account but it's probably close enough.

So your depth chart is looking like
Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Caruso/Moody
Dray/JK
Vuc/TJD

I rather have to trade CP/Looney/GP2/Moody for Lavine/Caruso

Curry/Podz
Lavine/Q
Wiggins/Caruso
Dray/JK
TJD/

that way our closing lineup can be Curry/Lavine/Caruso/Wiggins/Dray

Unlikely since they wanted JK for Caruso.

Return to Golden State Warriors