ImageImageImageImageImage

Current Warrior Cap Situation

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,422

Re: Current Warrior Cap Situation 

Post#61 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:23 am

Warriors should have tried to get Klay to take $5 million a year less with the promise that they will offer him a Kobe retirement type of contract at the end of his career.

He'll get his $25 million back plus interest.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,899

Post#62 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:37 am

wco81 wrote:Warriors should have tried to get Klay to take $5 million a year less with the promise that they will offer him a Kobe retirement type of contract at the end of his career.

With all the talk about Klay being willing to take meetings with the Lakers and Clippers if he did NOT get the max, maybe the FO received some confirmation of that thinking from his agent. If so, why even take the chance on ticking him off?
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#63 » by DaHef » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:46 am

Samurai wrote:
wco81 wrote:Warriors should have tried to get Klay to take $5 million a year less with the promise that they will offer him a Kobe retirement type of contract at the end of his career.

With all the talk about Klay being willing to take meetings with the Lakers and Clippers if he did NOT get the max, maybe the FO received some confirmation of that thinking from his agent. If so, why even take the chance on ticking him off?

Too get Cousins, play on a better team, and go deep into the playoffs? That would be a reason.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:50 am

I saw this thread's title and thought it was a joke. Surprised me people actually discussing things real in here.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,667

Post#65 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:52 am

Jedzz wrote:I saw this thread's title and thought it was a joke. Surprised me people actually discussing things real in here.

Why?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#66 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:53 am

DaHef wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Too get Cousins, play on a better team, and go deep into the playoffs? That would be a reason.

I don't see any way we would be a better team if a pissed off Klay signed with either LA team. So if you are saying we take a chance on losing Klay to get the chance to sign Cousins, I disagree that such a trade-off would make us a better team.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#67 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:54 am

Lacob wants Klay to retire a Warrior, same as Curry. Haven’t heard that about Green, but I would re-sign Green for the max allowed now. I don’t think luxury tax worries the Warriors FO that much, with the exception of putting a contender on the court.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#68 » by DaHef » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:55 am

Samurai wrote:
DaHef wrote:
Samurai wrote:With all the talk about Klay being willing to take meetings with the Lakers and Clippers if he did NOT get the max, maybe the FO received some confirmation of that thinking from his agent. If so, why even take the chance on ticking him off?

I don't see any way we would be a better team if a pissed off Klay signed with either LA team. So if you are saying we take a chance on losing Klay to get the chance to sign Cousins, I disagree that such a trade-off would make us a better team.

Nah, I wasn't saying that. Sometimes players offer that, like KD did.
Just wondering, can Steph do a rework to ease up a few or is that a no no to do that mid-contract?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#69 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:58 am

Coxy wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I saw this thread's title and thought it was a joke. Surprised me people actually discussing things real in here.

Why?

I assume Warriors don't pay much mind to the Cap. When they can't add someone when they are over, somehow they magically get players to take league min.

I came here to read War's WCS signing thread. Just one more crazy add in a long list of adding whoever whenever needed. Don't get me wrong. I like what Kerr and War's owner/gm do. If you can do it, might as well do it. I'm just a tad jealous.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,604

Post#70 » by HiRez » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:01 am

They should have Peter Guber set up a movie studio front where they have players get paid for being in "movies" that may or may not ever be released. Play for $10M less, don't worry, we got you covered. I have a role you'd be perfect for that pays $15M.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#71 » by statsman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:04 am

HiRez wrote:They should have Peter Guber set up a movie studio front where they have players get paid for being in "movies" that may or may not ever be released. Play for $10M less, don't worry, we got you covered. I have a role you'd be perfect for that pays $15M.

You mean like being in one of LeBron's movies and waiving your $4M trade kicker?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#72 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:17 am

Jedzz wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Why?

I assume Warriors don't pay much mind to the Cap. When they can't add someone when they are over, somehow they magically get players to take league min.

I came here to read War's WCS signing thread. Just one more crazy add in a long list of adding whoever whenever needed. Don't get me wrong. I like what Kerr and War's owner/gm do. If you can do it, might as well do it. I'm just a tad jealous.

I don't understand this sentence. When you are dealing with a hard cap that cannot be exceeded, as the Dubs are now, your front office better be paying attention to every dollar. If you don't pay much mind to a hard cap, you should immediately be fired for gross incompetence.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#73 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:44 am

hard cap :lol: Ok. I've spent enough time in here. Warriors are the brightest bulbs in the league lately. I'm trying to learn from them. They make the games and the cap look so easy.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,192

Post#74 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:10 am

Jedzz wrote:hard cap :lol: Ok. I've spent enough time in here. Warriors are the brightest bulbs in the league lately. I'm trying to learn from them. They make the games and the cap look so easy.

you're cool, folks getting a little prickly. For some reason I have always liked the T Wolves and I hope Wiggins stops sucking and wakes up for you guys.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,057

Post#75 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:44 pm

likashing wrote:
Read on Twitter

3 vet min slots.

Who ya got?

Not a Warriors fan but studying their cap situation this morning. Would they look to dump Damian Jones into cap space in an effort to bring back Quinn Cook since Looney is back and they added WCS? They will likely be able to get a 3rd string C with a min slot?

Roster would look like:

Cauley-Stein/Looney
Green/Smalagic/Paschall
Robinson III/McKennie
Russell/Evans/Poole
Curry/Cook

And of course Klay Thompson. Assuming the money is par ($2.3MM/Year for Cook which is what Jones is making), Golden State would have 2 min slots to play with, or they could dip into the mid level and get someone starting at $2MM and go right up to the apron.

As others have mentioned, this is a re-tooling year for the Warriors. They not only added a young asset in Russell this summer, next summer, when they are no longer hard capped, they have a big TPE from Iguodada, likely their highest FRP in years (assuming they sent a 2021 or 2022 FRP in the Russell trade), plus their taxpayer MLE.

It wouldn't surprise me if they trade cash and Livingston into someone's cap space for an additional $7MM TPE next summer. Moving the $660k on Livington's deal gives GS the ability to go $1MM above a minimum slot to add a player (which might allow them to keep Quinn Cook without trading Damian Jones, or if they move Jones, they can keep Cook starting at $3.3MM).

The 2020-2021 Warriors have a chance to be the deepest team the Warriors have ever had, while still being led by 4 all-stars. As an outsider, as much as I hated Durant joining a superteam, I love watching great organizations respond to challenges, and watching Golden State re-tool is going to be fascinating (as was watching Miami post Lebron, pre Bosh retirement).
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,718

Post#76 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:53 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
likashing wrote:
Read on Twitter

3 vet min slots.

Who ya got?

Not a Warriors fan but studying their cap situation this morning. Would they look to dump Damian Jones into cap space in an effort to bring back Quinn Cook since Looney is back and they added WCS? They will likely be able to get a 3rd string C with a min slot?

Roster would look like:

Cauley-Stein/Looney
Green/Smalagic/Paschall
Robinson III/McKennie
Russell/Evans/Poole
Curry/Cook

And of course Klay Thompson. Assuming the money is par ($2.3MM/Year for Cook which is what Jones is making), Golden State would have 2 min slots to play with, or they could dip into the mid level and get someone starting at $2MM and go right up to the apron.

As others have mentioned, this is a re-tooling year for the Warriors. They not only added a young asset in Russell this summer, next summer, when they are no longer hard capped, they have a big TPE from Iguodada, likely their highest FRP in years (assuming they sent a 2021 or 2022 FRP in the Russell trade), plus their taxpayer MLE. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade cash and Livingston into someone's cap space for an additional $7MM TPE next summer.

The 2020-2021 Warriors have a chance to be the deepest team the Warriors have ever had, while still being led by 4 all-stars. As an outsider, as much as I hated Durant joining a superteam, I love watching great organizations respond to challenges, and watching Golden State re-tool is going to be fascinating (as was watching Miami post Lebron, pre Bosh retirement).

Cook was 5th guard and warriors prefer their guards to be bigger. He is gone.

Jones is walking foul to be called but they hope he develops late like Looney.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#77 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:55 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
likashing wrote:
Read on Twitter

3 vet min slots.

Who ya got?

Roster would look like:

Cauley-Stein/Looney
Green/Smalagic/Paschall
Robinson III/McKennie
Russell/Evans/Poole
Curry/Cook

As others have mentioned, this is a re-tooling year for the Warriors. They not only added a young asset in Russell this summer, next summer, when they are no longer hard capped, they have a big TPE from Iguodada, likely their highest FRP in years (assuming they sent a 2021 or 2022 FRP in the Russell trade), plus their taxpayer MLE. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade cash and Livingston into someone's cap space for an additional $7MM TPE next summer.

Do they invision Poole as the backup PG? I guess they can stagger minutes so they have 2 out of Curry, Russell and Green on the court for most of the game.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#78 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:58 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

Roster would look like:

Cauley-Stein/Looney
Green/Smalagic/Paschall
Robinson III/McKennie
Russell/Evans/Poole
Curry/Cook

Jones is walking foul to be called but they hope § :) develops late like Looney.

Do they invision Poole as the backup PG? I guess they can stagger minutes so they have 2 out of Curry, Russell and Green on the court for most of the game.
d

Poole is a catch and shoot 6th man type.

Evans is being trained to be back up PG. Warriors like bigger PG in order to swith because Iggy b4 and Green are main facilitators
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#79 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:02 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

Evans is being trained to be back up PG. Warriors like bigger PG in order to swith because Iggy b4 and Green are main facilitators

Understood. I still think the Warriors have a path to a $3.3MM roster spot (if there is anyone still available that is worth it).
Package Jones into cap space for a 2nd rd pick
Flip that 2nd rd pick, Cash and Livingston contract into another teams space for a $7mm TPE (for next July)
That saves about $1.36 MM (factoring in another min sal player to replace Jones). Add about the $400k below the apron to a min slot and your at $3.36MM.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#80 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:07 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

Understood. I still think the Warriors have a path to a $3.3MM roster spot (if there is anyone still available that is worth it).
Package Jones into cap space for a 2nd rd pick
Flip that 2nd rd pick, Cash and Livingston contract into another teams space for a $7mm TPE (for next July)
That saves about $1.36 MM (factoring in another min sal player to replace Jones). Add about the $400k below the apron to a min slot and your at $3.36MM.

Your thinking is the type of thinking GS does and if they get a value unlikely signinf like Cuz for that low they would.

Return to Golden State Warriors