R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Re: Current Warrior Cap Situation 

Post#81 » by R-DAWG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:08 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
Evans is being trained to be back up PG. Warriors like bigger PG in order to swith because Iggy b4 and Green are main facilitators

Understood. I still think the Warriors have a path to a $3.3MM roster spot (if there is anyone still available that is worth it).
Package Jones into cap space for a 2nd rd pick
Flip that 2nd rd pick, Cash and Livingston contract into another teams space for a $7mm TPE (for next July)
That saves about $1.36 MM (factoring in another min sal player to replace Jones). Add about the $400k below the apron to a min slot and your at $3.36MM.

Your thinking is the type of thinking GS does and if they get a value unlikely signinf like Cuz for that low they would.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of their options. Watching Miami and Golden State operate under a hard cap is going to be exciting for salary cap/business guys.
rozmanro
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#82 » by rozmanro » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi all,

i'm not fully clear of the hard cap situation :banghead: , so have few questions regarding the cap situation now:

1.Does any vet minimum contract that we want to add will be counted under the hard cap?
If they are then it means we can add no one else unless we let Livingston go and have cap for another 1 or 2 vets?

2. Can we still use the MLE and sign some one to that 5.7M contract?it will not count under the hard cap?

3.Regarding the cap holds:

The Cap-Holds currently are:
DeMarcus Cousins29 C Non-Bird $6,404,400
Jordan Poole 20 SG $1,964,760
Matt Barnes 39 SF Non-Bird $1,618,486
Andrew Bogut 34 C Non-Bird $1,618,486
Jonas Jerebko 32 PF Non-Bird $1,618,486
David West 39 PF Early Bird $1,618,486
Damion Lee 26 G Restricted Non-Bird $1,443,842

I read that these are not counted under the hard cap.

But once Jordan Poole & other rookies sign their contracts they will count under the hard cap??

Thanks!
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#83 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:45 pm

rozmanro wrote:Hi all,

i'm not fully clear of the hard cap situation :banghead: , so have few questions regarding the cap situation now:

1.Does any vet minimum contract that we want to add will be counted under the hard cap?
If they are then it means we can add no one else unless we let Livingston go and have cap for another 1 or 2 vets?

2. Can we still use the MLE and sign some one to that 5.7M contract?it will not count under the hard cap?

But once Jordan Poole & other rookies sign their contracts they will count under the hard cap??

Thanks!

All signed contracts are added to team salary which is what matters as you approach the hard cap. Free agent cap holds are not considered in relation to the apron (hard cap line.)
rozmanro
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#84 » by rozmanro » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:56 am

xdrta+ wrote:
rozmanro wrote:Hi all,

Thanks!

All signed contracts are added to team salary which is what matters as you approach the hard cap. Free agent cap holds are not considered in relation to the apron (hard cap line.)

But the MLE is still available for us?
And will not be added to the team salary right?
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#85 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:59 am

rozmanro wrote:But the MLE is still available for us?
And will not be added to the team salary right?

It is not added to team salary unless used. According to reports, WCS was signed with a portion of the taxpayer MLE, so part of it remains unused. But given the Warriors current salary situation and how close they are to the hard cap, the rest of it may remain unused for this season unless there is a trade that lowers team salary.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#86 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:32 pm

All this **** flies over my head. Simple question, do we have the money and roster space to sign a vet min or two? Our bench is way too young as it stands now.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
statsman
Analyst

Post#87 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:12 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:All this **** flies over my head. Simple question, do we have the money and roster space to sign a vet min or two? Our bench is way too young as it stands now.

Right now, they have room for one more vet minimum, assuming McKinnie is being kept. If not, then two vet min slots.

That would leave the 15th roster spot open, but they currently can't fill it because they don't have the room under the hard cap.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#88 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:03 pm

statsman wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:All this **** flies over my head. Simple question, do we have the money and roster space to sign a vet min or two? Our bench is way too young as it stands now.

Right now, they have room for one more vet minimum, assuming McKinnie is being kept. If not, then two vet min slots.

That would leave the 15th roster spot open, but they currently can't fill it because they don't have the room under the hard cap.

I seriously don't get all of the McKinnie hate. Not you Stats.

But damn this kid earned Kerr's trust. Is an elite rebounder. Very athletic. And cheap.

I expect his defense to improve, and I have hope his 3 point shot will improve. He's better than Glenn Robinson right now.

I hope we keep him myself. I like his upside and he's good in the locker room. Total team player.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
statsman
Analyst

Post#89 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:08 pm

I agree about McKinnie. He gives them needed rebounding at times. I would just plan to keep him for the full season.

Still hoping they move Jones, both for the roster spot and for relief under the hard cap. That would give the Warriors two more vet minimum slots to fill while keeping McKinnie.

But it's possible the Warriors see Jones differently than a majority of the fan base does.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#90 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
statsman wrote:

But damn this kid earned Kerr's trust. Is an elite rebounder. Very athletic. And cheap.

I expect his defense to improve, and I have hope his 3 point shot will improve. He's better than Glenn Robinson right now.

I hope we keep him myself. I like his upside and he's good in the locker room. Total team player.

I don't think there's any doubt they plan to keep McKinnie, at least until he proves he can't handle it. I think that's why they kept him out of Summer League, they know what he can do, there's no need to have him knock around there.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,704

Post#91 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:20 pm

As it stands if Livingston remains on the team then half the roster has limited to no pro experience.

I would personally rather bring Bogut back than Jones.

Any 3 and D vet is a real victory for this group if we can get one.

I think Lin would be a good vet to get.
statsman
Analyst

Post#92 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:23 pm

Livingston will not remain with the team. They cannot fit his salary under the hard cap. He will either be stretch waived (my guess) or traded. Unless they make a major trade of Draymond or DLo in the next day or so.

The reason I think a trade of Livingston is less likely is because the other team acquiring him would need to have enough cap space for his full guaranteed salary ($7.7M).

Not many teams will have that much left. Maybe the Hawks, but it will come with a cost of a draft pick and probably cash, although that team would have until July 10th to waive him for $2M.

As a side note, assuming Livingston were traded for no return salary, any such deal would generate a $7.7M TPE for the Warriors.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#93 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:38 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:As it stands if Livingston remains on the team then half the roster has limited to no pro experience.

Bogut can't come back, at least not until the Australian season is over in March or whenever. He's under contract there and they made it clear he's not getting out of it. Though, after watching him in the playoffs, I'm not sure why anyone would be anxious to have him back, especially for an 82 game season.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#94 » by CalGTR » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:42 pm

statsman wrote:I agree about McKinnie. He gives them needed rebounding at times. I would just plan to keep him for the full season.

Still hoping they move Jones, both for the roster spot and for relief under the hard cap. That would give the Warriors two more vet minimum slots to fill while keeping McKinnie.

But it's possible the Warriors see Jones differently than a majority of the fan base does.

I don't believe the Warriors are ready to give up on Jones yet. This year seems to be about finding a couple young guys that can hang with the big boys throughout this next run of the next several years, and I think they believe Jones could still turn into one of those guys. We'll find out, because he's going to get all the opportunity he can handle.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,704

Post#95 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:As it stands if Livingston remains on the team then half the roster has limited to no pro experience.

Bogut can't come back, at least not until the Australian season is over in March or whenever. He's under contract there and they made it clear he's not getting out of it. Though, after watching him in the playoffs, I'm not sure why anyone would be anxious to have him back, especially for an 82 game season.

Ah, I wondered why he was not being mentioned. Well, I would want him because he is better than Jones on the court and probably off the court in terms of veteran leadership. Now if Demarcus wants to come back on the vet minimum then I am all in, we need some 20 point games.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#96 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:50 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Ah, I wondered why he was not being mentioned. Well, I would want him because he is better than Jones on the court and probably off the court in terms of veteran leadership. Now if Demarcus wants to come back on the vet minimum then I am all in, we need some 20 point games.

IMO, we have enough centers, with Jones, WCS, Looney, and sometimes Green. I'd rather see a decent SF. Stanley Johnson is still out there, anyone want to take a flyer on him? He's been a disappointment, but he's still only 23 yrs old.
statsman
Analyst

Post#97 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:13 pm

CalGTR wrote:I don't believe the Warriors are ready to give up on Jones yet. This year seems to be about finding a couple young guys that can hang with the big boys throughout this next run of the next several years, and I think they believe Jones could still turn into one of those guys. We'll find out, because he's going to get all the opportunity he can handle.

Well, the Warriors have to do something in terms of reducing team salary, because if they go into the season with a 14 man roster, they will be over the hard cap by at least $20K. WCS' salary is not known, only to be "a bit over" the vet minimum, so it will be more than that.

If they don't move Jones, they may well need a team like the Hawks to take Livingston/2nd/cash.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#98 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:43 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
statsman wrote:

From the eye test, he seemed to grab a lot of boards, particularly on the offensive end. But I looked him up and was surprised that both McKinnie's ORB% AND DRB% last year were higher than Kawhi's - and I think most everyone would agree that the "board man" is an elite rebounder for a SF. I was impressed! And agree that he earned Kerr's trust by getting playoff minutes even before KD went down. He shot a respectable 36% from deep during the RS, although that dipped to 31% in the playoffs; not surprising for a young guy playing on the biggest stage with the bright lights. But he only shot 33% on corner 3's - improving that will be important so he can be a more reliable threat when DLo or Steph drive and kick it out to him in the corner. My biggest concern is his crappy FT shooting: only shot 56% in the RS and 40% in the playoffs (small sample size of 4-10). Some rightfully question why someone with his athleticism isn't better at taking it strong to the rim; my guess is that he is afraid to do it because he is concerned he may get fouled. He seems to be skilled enough that he should be able to be a 70+% FT shooter; if he can do that, then maybe he will be better at getting to the cup. He needs to lock himself in the gym this summer with someone like Steve Nash (is he still with us?) and work on his shooting stroke. If Draymond can shoot 70%, someone like McKinnie should definitely be able to exceed that.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#99 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:44 pm

statsman wrote:
CalGTR wrote:I don't believe the Warriors are ready to give up on Jones yet. This year seems to be about finding a couple young guys that can hang with the big boys throughout this next run of the next several years, and I think they believe Jones could still turn into one of those guys. We'll find out, because he's going to get all the opportunity he can handle.

Well, the Warriors have to do something in terms of reducing team salary, because if they go into the season with a 14 man roster, they will be over the hard cap by at least $20K. WCS' salary is not known, only to be "a bit over" the vet minimum, so it will be more than that.

If they don't move Jones, they may well need a team like the Hawks to take Livingston/2nd/cash.

If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?
statsman
Analyst

Post#100 » by statsman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:52 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
statsman wrote:

If they waive and stretch Livingston I believe they'll be under the line. No?

No. I've already accounted for Livingston's stretch waive amount, and if I have, I'm certain the Warriors have.

Return to Golden State Warriors