ImageImageImageImageImage

Conversation with Lacob

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: Conversation with Lacob 

Post#61 » by Left*My*Heart » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:12 pm

If you add Nene and retain Ellis, Curry, Wright, Lee and Udoh, we will have to upgrade the SF position with a defensive minded player such as Deng or Iggy. Don't see how we can retain that core 5 and add Nene and Deng or Iggy to the team too; but that is the type of move that needs to be done to make this team a playoff contender.

We would still need to shore up our bench.
GSForever
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#62 » by GSForever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 pm

People here are crazy thinking about giving a player with one good season big $$$. He's not a great rebounder or shot blocker. DLee and Nene doesn't look like a good combo. Anything more than 60 mil forget about it
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#63 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Our Owner and management spoke early and often about defense. They picked Udoh which sounded like, "OK they're serious." Then we've been treated to a bunch of offensive minded players, with talk of Nene, who's best assetts are offensive.

I never really liked Dalembert much, but have to agree that next to David Lee, and in a big man rotation, Dalembert sounds better and better. I just wouldn't overpay for him.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
GSForever
Banned User

Post#64 » by GSForever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Id take Chandler on a 4 yr contract. He's improved all the teams he's been on. He probably could be had for a 4/12 deal
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#65 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 pm

No he couldn't, you're being crazy - that's why you think David Lee is overpaid, you don't know the going rate for big men.

If Tyson Chandler costs $3 mil per year (he makes $12.6 this year), which is basically rookie wage scale, don't you think the Mavs keep him?
GSForever
Banned User

Post#66 » by GSForever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Nene at 15mil or more u can keep him!! And I don't wanna hear all the bit..... and complaining when and after he gets paid and underperforms
GSForever
Banned User

Post#67 » by GSForever » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

You give Nene that big contract then you wont be able resign DWrong and Steph
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#68 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 am

Technically, ya you could unless there's a hard cap.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#69 » by don nelson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:29 am

GSForever wrote:You give Nene that big contract then you wont be able resign DWrong and Steph

+1. That is precisely why the idea of grossly overpaying a player just to get him on your team is not a sound strategy because that signing will severely hamper the team's ability to extend other players they want to keep and will end up literally being caught between a rock and a hard place trying to trade that grossly overpaid player when he does not wildly exceed expectations.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#70 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:32 am

Twinkie defense wrote:No he couldn't, you're being crazy - that's why you think David Lee is overpaid, you don't know the going rate for big men.

If Tyson Chandler costs $3 mil per year (he makes $12.6 this year), which is basically rookie wage scale, don't you think the Mavs keep him?

LOL +1

$3 mill a year for Chandler, ya right! He's gonna get 12 mill plus annually. Probably backloaded for more.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
GSForever
Banned User

Post#71 » by GSForever » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 am

My bad!! I meant 12 mil annual...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#72 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 am

If were gonna sign an oft injured guy for 8 figures a year, can we at least make it a potential 2 way guy like Oden?
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#73 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:12 am

don nelson wrote:
GSForever wrote:You give Nene that big contract then you wont be able resign DWrong and Steph

+1. That is precisely why the idea of grossly overpaying a player just to get him on your team is not a sound strategy because that signing will severely hamper the team's ability to extend other players they want to keep and will end up literally being caught between a rock and a hard place trying to trade that grossly overpaid player when he does not wildly exceed expectations.

Lets just say Nene gets 15 million a year, a very high estimate.

2013-2014
$15,000,000 Nene
$13,878,000 Lee
$11,000,000 Ellis (Player option)
$9,000,000 Biedrins (Player option)
$4,469,548 Udoh
Total: $53,347,548

Easily enough room to re-sing your players, especially since Biedrins is about to come off the books. Lacob seems like he would be willing to spend for a team that wins. If the Utah Jazz can afford to spend 70-80 million the Warriors would have no problem doing the same.

I'm guessing Ellis wont be re-signed, I'm guessing he will be involved in a sign and trade or he will be traded before he becomes a FA. That's if the Warriors land a talented center like Nene.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#74 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:19 am

That's 6 players. 2 of them aren't starters but the major beef I have is that Nene isn't the missing piece, he doesn't make us a contender. Hell he never made the Nuggets a contender. I'm all for **** ourselves capwise if it's the missing piece, but Nene isn't it.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#75 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:19 am

As a sh*t team, it shouldnt matter how we get talent. Get talent, spend a ton of money if you have to too. Who cares if you cant maximize value - if the current product is better than the past product, you are moving in the right direction.

Personally there's not one person on this roster as is that I'm seriously worried about losing. Curry's got no say in his destination for at least 3 more years and he's the closest one for me. Signing Nene to a big deal doesnt hamper that, as Monta expires - if he opts in - and is definitely tradeable. Biedrins too, at least the expiring part.

Nothing to worry about if we inked someone to a big deal. Especially if its a big man.
GSForever
Banned User

Post#76 » by GSForever » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 am

Get Yao on a 9 mil a yr and we'll call it even!!
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#77 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:31 am

and1GS wrote:That's 6 players. 2 of them aren't starters but the major beef I have is that Nene isn't the missing piece, he doesn't make us a contender. Hell he never made the Nuggets a contender. I'm all for **** ourselves capwise if it's the missing piece, but Nene isn't it.

Nene wont make this team a contender, you're right. But he makes the team better, makes them playoff caliber, and puts them one good move away from being a low tier contender.

This "doesn't make us a contender" argument that people use on Lee and Nene is fallacious. No single player, that is realistically obtainable, will make the Warriors a contender. It's only through a series of moves that the Warriors will become great.

Give me an example where Nene and his contract will keep the Warriors from obtaining a player of higher quality and I will listen. Otherwise your point is moot.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,788

Post#78 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:32 am

I guess the question is, what are the series of moves that make us a contender with a Lee/Nene front line? Because our backcourt is already pretty good...
and1GS
RealGM

Post#79 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:42 am

Very true oak. But I see it from Floppy's POV...I don't see waht can push us over the hump after we have Nene/Lee as our frontcourt. Unless we somehow trade Lee and something while getting a major upgrade and fill out our bench with legit role players over the next couple seasons.

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#80 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 am

floppymoose wrote:I guess the question is, what are the series of moves that make us a contender with a Lee/Nene front line? Because our backcourt is already pretty good...

I would look at ways to improve the depth, perimeter D, and find a good sixth man. They could find a good sixth and improve the perimeter d with a guy like Aaron Afflalo. With a Nene the offense would run well enough that you could move Curry or Ellis to the bench.

C Nene
F Lee
F Wright
G Afflalo
G Curry

Ellis
Udoh
Thornton
Amundson
Biedrins

Ellis or Curry could make a terrible bench look great and a guy like Afflalo could make the terrible perimeter D look solid. Guys like that aren't terribly hard to find. That's just a realistic hypothetical example of a move that would improve the team.

But I don't know what "big moves" are going to be available in the future, my crystal ball is in the workshop. Until I get it back...

Return to Golden State Warriors