Bench: mccaw, jones, rooks, min guys.

Get it done Meyers
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Re: Around the NBA III 

Post#2062 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:12 am

Impossible.

Now if you trade Klay for PG13, it could work.

But his contract comes up for a max after next season, a season earlier than Klay would?

I don't know how well he would work off the ball either. When the Pacers were dominant, Hibbert was a low-post threat who'd kick it out.

PG13 could create for himself and pull up off the dribble. But the Warriors already have two great shooters off the dribble already. That's why Klay is such a great complement, though I think he shot worse for the regular season and playoffs because he couldn't always fit in as well as he used to.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,472

Post#2063 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#2064 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Poor Kevin Love. No trade claus? I don't think he has one.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2065 » by and1GS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm

What can the Cavs actually trade? I doubt they'd want to give up any of their big 3 so all they can deal is...Shumpert and their 2020 first round pick? Even if they get another team in the mix I don't think that can possibly be enough, especially given they can't take on any albatross contracts given their gargantuan payroll.

Swapping Love for George puts lipstick on the pig, but they'll still just be happily rolling in **** until the warriors hose them off.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#2066 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 pm

and1GS wrote:What can the Cavs actually trade? I doubt they'd want to give up any of their big 3 so all they can deal is...Shumpert and their 2020 first round pick? Even if they get another team in the mix I don't think that can possibly be enough, especially given they can't take on any albatross contracts given their gargantuan payroll.

Swapping Love for George puts lipstick on the pig, but they'll still just be happily rolling in **** until the warriors hose them off.

It would have to be a 3 team deal. Love likely going elsewhere. Picks, assets to Indiana. I suggested a 3-way between Cleveland/Indiana/Boston. Love heads to Boston. Indiana gets picks via Boston.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#2067 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Read on Twitter
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#2068 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 pm

It was fairly obvious in LeBron James postgame presser after game 5 that the Cavs were gonna try to make some moves in the summer, and let's face it, James is basically at the forefront of that FO lol.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#2069 » by and1GS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just saw that!

Would love to hear others thoughts here, but this seems like they're re-shuffling a losing deck instead of adding to it. I guess it re-affirms what I thought, that they have absolutely no assets outside of their 'not a superteam' core, but does swapping Butler for Love or George for Love really move the needle? They'd be better, but still a distant second to the warriors IMO.

The only caveat here which I see as very likely would be if they do one of those deals, then swoop up high profile big man ring chasers. They'd need 2 of Z-Bo, Taj or Pat Patterson, then this would make good sense. They'd be a better team for sure, but I don't see how that team out-does the warriors. They still lack a true backup PG so you'd probably be looking at having one of their big 3 on the floor at all times, which I guess is possible given how ball dominant they are.

What would REALLY push them over the edge is if they convinced Wade to sign a vet min tender, got Z-Bo and Patterson and traded for one of George or Butler. Now that would be interesting.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
wco81
RealGM

Post#2070 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:42 am

and1GS wrote:What can the Cavs actually trade? I doubt they'd want to give up any of their big 3 so all they can deal is...Shumpert and their 2020 first round pick? Even if they get another team in the mix I don't think that can possibly be enough, especially given they can't take on any albatross contracts given their gargantuan payroll.

I don't know about that. KD shot an insane percentage in the Finals, especially from 3. But Curry and Klay did not.

If PG13 can make KD work more for points, contest those shots better, that frees up another defender to put on Curry and Klay.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#2071 » by and1GS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 am

wco81 wrote:

I don't know about that. KD shot an insane percentage in the Finals, especially from 3. But Curry and Klay did not.

If PG13 can make KD work more for points, contest those shots better, that frees up another defender to put on Curry and Klay.

LeBron guarded KD for most of the series though. I know he had mental lapses and was tired, but he's no slouch and George would also be playing insane minutes with big offensive responsibility. There are ways to make it work, but it still comes down the bench IMO. If they're bringing someone interesting like Tony Allen off the bench to give KD a new look, then maybe it works, but if that bench core remains at the Deron-Iman-Korver level, they're screwed.

Whoever their new GM is has a hell of a job in front of him. Take an incredibly talented team and basically make them twice as good with no assets or cap room and only the allure of playing with LeBron to work with.

wco81
RealGM

Post#2072 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:06 am

I'm not saying it would put them over the top.

But it could be a much more competitive series, every game.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#2073 » by old rem » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

It would have to be a 3 team deal. Love likely going elsewhere. Picks, assets to Indiana. I suggested a 3-way between Cleveland/Indiana/Boston. Love heads to Boston. Indiana gets picks via Boston.
Boston?/ Whoever? If paying for PG, may decide they WANT PG and not K Love. Love is a good.. if streaky..scorer. He rebounds. He sucks on D and ain't cheap.
that said......Who gives a LOT to maybe just Rent PG for a year?
CENSORED... No comment.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#2074 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Everything I read includes Love as the trade piece. I agree with you about the pig and lipstick.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#2075 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:24 pm

I love that Cleveland is scrambling. Now there's talk that Billups might be their GM...lol...I think the rumor of Lebron wife wanting to go to LA is true. The Cavs will have this next season to fix it, as they say, otherwise Lebron bolts again.
Khoee wrote “
and1GS
RealGM

Post#2076 » by and1GS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I love that Cleveland is scrambling. Now there's talk that Billups might be their GM...lol...I think the rumor of Lebron wife wanting to go to LA is true. The Cavs will have this next season to fix it, as they say, otherwise Lebron bolts again.

I was listening to a pod that brought up a very interesting tidbit.

Long story short, Bob Myers, David griffin and one more GM were all on a panel and someone asked a question why the Cavs were so gung ho about trading all their picks. Here's that verbatim transcription:

As Griffin explained at the MIT Sloan Sports and Analytics Conference in March, there has been a resounding desire within the Cavs to win now. That led the team to willingly trade first-round picks to acquire game-ready veterans. However, Griffin also said that he made sure the picks were protected in the event James or the other Cavs stars left the team.

"We're only going to be remembered for tarnishing LeBron's legacy. We're not going to be remembered for being part of building it. We've been given like a sacred trust in this guy, and it's our job to win right now, and everyone feels that. Ownership feels that, ownership invests in it. When you have that amount of clarity, it makes doing things like trading protected firsts make sense. It may not look good on the books moving forward and people may look at it and say, 'Oh my god, they’ve mortgaged their future.' Well, if LeBron and Kyrie [Irving] and Kevin [Love] are gone, and we become a lottery pick, we’ll have those picks because they’re protected."

The point they made on the podcast is that it's telling David was willing to basically say 'well if we don't mortgage our future we're **** because everyone would leave and the city would never forgive us.' That franchise is paralyzed by the thought of LeBron leaving and it all starts with their feeble minded owner.

The negotiations and convincing needed to bring LeBron home wouldn't have been so tough if it hadn't been for that petulant 'I hate you LeBron I hate you!' note by the owner. That reactionary attitude cascades down to the front office with many, many short sighted moves and even into the coaching ranks with more short sighted moves. The end result is a team with huge contracts, no assets and coaches who placate their superstar.

A big reason why MJ was so great and won the titles he did was because Phil learned how to push his buttons.

mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#2077 » by mos_def » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 am

Dang...the Lakers had to ship DAngelo with Mozgov for Brook Lopez and the 27th??? :crazy:
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#2078 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 am

They are going to use #27 in a package for George, I assume, but this doesn't seem like all that good value for someone who was the #2 pick just 2 years ago and showed promise when moved off the ball later in the season. However, it seemed like consensus opinion that Ball/Russell weren't quite a fit together.

Our old friend Schlenk's first move...getting rid of Dwight Howard like a bad habit. Swap 2nd rounders (ATL moved down 10 spots in the draft), Marco Belinelli, and take on a bad Miles Plumlee contract.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#2079 » by Coxy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:42 am

Lol at Dwight.

His personality really must be bad. Teams are looking to get rid of him as fast as they are trying to get him. What's with that dude?
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#2080 » by BdeRegt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:They are going to use #27 in a package for George, I assume, but this doesn't seem like all that good value for someone who was the #2 pick just 2 years ago and showed promise when moved off the ball later in the season. However, it seemed like consensus opinion that Ball/Russell weren't quite a fit together.

Our old friend Schlenk's first move...getting rid of Dwight Howard like a bad habit. Swap 2nd rounders (ATL moved down 10 spots in the draft), Marco Belinelli, and take on a bad Miles Plumlee contract.

Everything I have heard is that Russell was not valued in the league. He has shown glimpses but most front offices seemed pretty low on him. I don't think he had great trade value and think this was actually a really good deal for the Lakers. It gives them an amazing chance to build a core of LBJ, George, Ball, and Ingram. If they don't like Ball and Ingram, those 2 could be packaged for a third star to put around LeBron and George.

Return to Golden State Warriors